Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
i noticed you are successfully using bluetooth output for music, how did you accomplish this in 3.0? Also, how do you have a % marker for your battery?

It's not my screenshot you were referring to, but my iPhone is able to music over Bluetooth in my car ever since the first 3.0 beta (I can't control things like pause/next/etc though). I haven't updated to beta 3 yet so I'm not sure if any of that has changed.

To get it working, though, you need to first pair the Bluetooth device with your phone- in settings, open up Bluetooth and the iPhone will become discoverable... put your Bluetooth device in discoverable mode and they should find one another and give you the option to enter the pairing PIN.

Once they're paired, the iPhone should automatically connect when the Bluetooth device is in range. In order to play the music through that device, bring up the iPod controls like in that screenshot (double tap the home button while music is playing) and tap the little Bluetooth icon. It'll then give you the option of choosing to play either through the iPhone or Bluetooth.

This works nearly perfectly for me in my car. Once I start up my car, my iPhone automatically syncs and if I get a call, it comes in through the car's speakers over Bluetooth. I have to manually tell the iPhone to play music through the car though... it always leaves the iPhone speakers as the default source for some reason.

coleridge78

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Safari does indeed work in the background (for the doubters). To prove it, go to a page that plays some sort of stream that will open in the browser's QuickTime control. You can then hit the home screen to go back to the Springboard and open another app and the sound will still be playing. That's how I listened to SHOUTcast streams before 2.0. Sometimes I still do that so that I can use another app while listening (until they let the dam iPod app play SHOUTcast streams :( grrr).

That's not Safari. Safari hands off the stream to QT for playback. When you go to the Springboard, etc and the stream keeps playing, it is controlled by the same mechanism that keeps synched iTunes music playing no matter what else you're doing. QT, not Safari.

Also, to the person upthread who was adamantly confused about RAM vs processor and "running in the background"... use of RAM has nothing to do with running. "Running" means something is using the CPU. Safari is put to sleep when you switch away from it. The process is not torn down, and it keeps its memory (as long as you have enough available), so that you can switch back to it without having to start it up all over again. "Sleep" is a Unix process concept that allows for a program to stay available in this manner but (and this is key) it CANNOT USE THE PROCESSOR while in this state. In plain English, Safari is sitting there pining for you but can't actually do anything.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
i really hope they can make the iCal "to-dos" sync with my touch.... THAT WOULD BE GREAT.... i don't understand why the software is lacking of this feature (lacking of? is that correctly used? ;) )... it cannot be too hart to implement, they just need an "interface" for this "app"....

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Can anyone check to see if the youtube restrictions extends to the youtube website? As is it right now you can disable the application, but still watch videos off the site.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

jailbreaking is for kids.

There’s about 5 millions "kids" out there that would disagree with you. Most people that don’t jailbreak either don’t know about it or they are not intelligent enough to figure it out. You may think its for playing GameBoy games but I use it for lots of apps that are unavailable to the average user.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
There’s about 5 millions "kids" out there that would disagree with you. Most people that don’t jailbreak either don’t know about it or they are not intelligent enough to figure it out. You may think its for playing GameBoy games but I use it for lots of apps that are unavailable to the average user.

Most people that dont jailbreak simply don't care. Btw, where did you pull this 5 million jailbroken phones number from?

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Most people that dont jailbreak simply don't care. Btw, where did you pull this 5 million jailbroken phones number from?

I was going to add the "dont care" option but forgot. I heard that figure somewhere before. Not sure where. It's definitely in the millions though.

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I dunno if this was answered before, but are you able to customize the "double click" home button feature on iPODS?

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
So I was pocking through and noticed that "Internet Tethering" is enabled on my Phone!

IMG_0472.PNG

Does the tethering option appear without any other modifications?

iPaf

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
Québec
Ok, so tethering is allowed but Skype doesn't work over 3G...

Why not make Skype calls on computer while tethering? I know it's not the best solution, but when you don't have a WIFI connection, it's still better than nothing!

I always keep my Macbook with me anyway...

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
How come they call it "seed"? It's not like they are distributing this stuff through torrents.

The term "seed" did not begin with bittorrent, so that has no relevance.

It's used in a number of areas, such as bittorrent as you mentioned, but also (and before bittorrent came around) in sports, plant seeds, etc. If you look up the definition of "seed" you'll see that one of the definitions is as follows:

"a source of development or growth"

Seeing as how a series of beta firmwares is a stage of development, it fits pretty well.

edit: That definition also explains why the term seed is used in regards to bittorrent in case you were wondering about that as well. The person that acts as the source of [growth for] the file to be sent out is the seed. From there, it goes to others, who later become additional sources, or seeds.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Tethering and % battery

I am taking the total lack of response over posts asking about the above in beta 3 as an admission that all those that have it working are using modified install packages or jailbroken phones ;)

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
It's not my screenshot you were referring to, but my iPhone is able to music over Bluetooth in my car ever since the first 3.0 beta (I can't control things like pause/next/etc though). I haven't updated to beta 3 yet so I'm not sure if any of that has changed.

To get it working, though, you need to first pair the Bluetooth device with your phone- in settings, open up Bluetooth and the iPhone will become discoverable... put your Bluetooth device in discoverable mode and they should find one another and give you the option to enter the pairing PIN.

Once they're paired, the iPhone should automatically connect when the Bluetooth device is in range. In order to play the music through that device, bring up the iPod controls like in that screenshot (double tap the home button while music is playing) and tap the little Bluetooth icon. It'll then give you the option of choosing to play either through the iPhone or Bluetooth.

This works nearly perfectly for me in my car. Once I start up my car, my iPhone automatically syncs and if I get a call, it comes in through the car's speakers over Bluetooth. I have to manually tell the iPhone to play music through the car though... it always leaves the iPhone speakers as the default source for some reason.

In beta 3 pause from the headset works.. still can't skip tracks yet though :/

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
I am taking the total lack of response over posts asking about the above in beta 3 as an admission that all those that have it working are using modified install packages or jailbroken phones ;)

I'd say it's almost guaranteed it's from having jailbroken their phone. Even if they install the new firmware over top of it so it's no longer jailbroken, it's been seen that a few remnants like that do tend to stick around and the battery percentage is one of them.

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003

No.. my iPhone is not jailbroken.. the % battery is a holdover from my 2.x fw (which was jailbroken); I upgraded and had % battery enabled then.. its just a plist entry and it gets carried over when you update. Tethering can be enabled by installing a custom ipcc file, which again, does not require a jailbreak.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
In beta 3 pause from the headset works.. still can't skip tracks yet though :/

well that's something, at least. I'm really hoping they have full AVRCP support for Bluetooth (which gives the controls) since they're already adding A2DP. I always use the controls on my car's steering wheel and would love to be able to skip tracks with it.
I was also able to download my iPhone's address book to my car and can use the in-dash screen to select names to call and such, instead of having to take the phone out of my pocket or speak the number to dial... I really want to be able to also see all of the tracks on my iPhone as well. When I go to the track list screen, it has the list fields, but there's no information populated in them :(

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
No.. my iPhone is not jailbroken.. the % battery is a holdover from my 2.x fw (which was jailbroken); I upgraded and had % battery enabled then.. its just a plist entry and it gets carried over when you update. Tethering can be enabled by installing a custom ipcc file, which again, does not require a jailbreak.

can you share this custom ipcc file?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
can you share this custom ipcc file?

No...and please stop asking! It is against Apple Policy and MR forum rules!!!

You will totally mess up your iPhone if you do it. If you wish to become a developer then go HERE. If you wish to become a beta tester then watch for posts that are looking for beta testors, usually in the App Store.

roberry82

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Battery %

I thought I saw previous screen shots from the preferences that allowed you to turn battery % on or off in the new 3.0 firmware? Am I wrong? I thought this was a new feature?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.