MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider reports that Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.3, termed Build 10D538, to select developers for testing. According to the report, the update addresses issues in several areas, including QuickTime X and Logic Studio.
More specifically, people familiar with Friday's beta say it includes an update to QuickTime X that, when finalized, will improve security and compatibility while simultaneously enhancing overall reliability. The release will also include tweaks that aim to enhance the performance of Apple's 64-bit Logic pro audio suite. Other planned improvements include better compatibility with third-party printers and OpenGL-grounded applications, those same people say.
One documented known issue reportedly remains in the latest build, involving the viewing of photos via Front Row.

Apple seeded its first test version of Mac OS X 10.6.3 to developers earlier this month, revealing a significant number of fixes in the new update, as well as several outstanding issues still needing attention at the time.

Mac OS X 10.6.3 also reportedly contains greatly improved support for OpenGL 3.0, which would offer significantly improved graphics performance should Apple implement full support for the standards. It is unknown at this time whether the latest 10.6.3 build has made any additional steps toward that goal.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.3 Build 10D538 to Developers

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I doubt anyone has a card that takes advantage of Open GL 3.0 on the Mac platform. So is this an indication that the Mac Pro will be getting an HD 5000 series card in the future?

Comment

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
At least is not other nonsense information about the tablet. I think I'll stay away from this website till the tablet arrives.

Comment

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I doubt anyone has a card that takes advantage of Open GL 3.0 on the Mac platform. So is this an indication that the Mac Pro will be getting an HD 5000 series card in the future?

TBH I'm hoping its not the Nvidia Fermia Platform. While it does "look" better, nVidia drivers are just terrible on Mac OSX.

Comment

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
I wish Apple would just pony up and pay for DirectX to be ported to the Mac, with mainstream games produced for OS X, and without the major performance drop all Mac ports see, Peecee fanboys would finally lose the last card in their deck.

Comment

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I wish Apple would just pony up and pay for DirectX to be ported to the Mac, with mainstream games produced for OS X, and without the major performance drop all Mac ports see, Peecee fanboys would finally lose the last card in their deck.

Even if Direct X was ported, you'll still see a performance drop in ports.

Comment

Dwalls90

Contributor
Feb 5, 2009
This will drop when the new MBP or new lineup of Macs ship (so 1-4 weeks IMO).

Comment

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
You gotta start somewhere. Since 3.2 builds up from 3.0 the common thing was to implement 3.0 properly then 3.1 then 3.2

Still, the fact that he said that every current Mac model won't benefit from this is just flat out wrong.

Comment

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Still, the fact that he said that every current Mac model won't benefit from this is just flat out wrong.

There's always software rendering.

Only a fraction, it's going to DX to OpenGL that screws ports.
And it's OS Xs lack of DX that results in the lack of mainstream games for Mac.

There could be a lot of unseen repercussions having DirectX on Mac OSX. I know that there would most likely be a tiny surge of games, but the backlash could be far worse.

If you care about gaming that much, just get a PS3 etc... Games are usually developed for consoles then ported to windows nowdays anyway. Plus there are a lot more console only games now. I don't miss PC gaming in the least.

Comment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Apple is building in the extensions slowly for all OpenGL 3.x series, not just 3.0.

Comment

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
What performance problems are you facing?

I find Snow Leopard to be rock solid since 10.6.2.

Can't speak for that person, but mine's buggy as hell. Recently did a clean install (which took several hours to backup files on a borrowed external) and it made it much worse. Don't know what's up, but I'm hoping some kind of update will help. I'm so frustrated that I think my next puter will be Windows 7 or whatever comes after that. :(

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Can't speak for that person, but mine's buggy as hell. Recently did a clean install (which took several hours to backup files on a borrowed external) and it made it much worse. Don't know what's up, but I'm hoping some kind of update will help. I'm so frustrated that I think my next puter will be Windows 7 or whatever comes after that. :(
I'm in the same situation. A clean installation is even more buggy than just an upgrade.

Comment

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
This will drop when the new MBP or new lineup of Macs ship (so 1-4 weeks IMO).

I think you're onto something....

1 17 Inch Intel Corei7 620 2.26GHZ
8 GB Ram
500 GB HD
ATi 5830 512 MB (maybe 1GB?)
with iLife `10 and 10.6.3
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:apple: ROCKS

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I don't care about QuickTime, I don't care about Safari, I really don't care about security or compatibility, just PLEASE make my computer NOT freeze and reboot by itself constantly! If it only crashed every 2 weeks, that would be fine! Just set that variable that defines how often the damn computer crashes to a larger interval!

Comment

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
I hope it fixes the Preview app. I'm sick of 20MB pdf's causing 500 GB of swap files.

Do I really need to bump up to 6 GB of RAM just to manipulate pdfs?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.