Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Wouldn't it make sense that you'd combine the phone and the iCloud on the phone? Then it shows up on your Mac? I'm guessing you need to wait for iOS 6 to do this.

What he said- You have to setup the phone number with iMessage using the phone first.. get the ios6 beta if you have access to it, it works on the beta.

bigalow

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
I love the message and facetime options for the Mac, but I don't know how to use this affectively when you have multiple users on the same computer. For our iMac, I wouldn't want my wife to see all my messages when she goes to use the internet or pay bills and vice versa. It seems like these features are really meant for those who have their own laptop versus a shared family computer. Am I understanding that correctly?
Just a guess - log on to your own profile and use your own appleID

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Facebook
- Single sign on for Facebook
- Facebook as an option when sharing links and photos
- Facebook friends' contact information and profile pictures in Contacts
- Facebook notifications in Notification Center

Other new features
- iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
- New shared Reminders lists
- FaceTime now receives calls sent to your phone number
- Receive Twitter notifications for mentions and replies from anyone

Sold.

roosta

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
las vegas
i really hope they fixed the wifi disconnecting during sleep resulting in a restart to get it active again.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Does anyone know if this fixes the long standing issue with Colorsync not affecting Finder or Dock icons in 10.8?

Might be hard to tell if you're not on a wide gamut monitor. You might be able to notice a slight difference if you select a colourful icon in Finder (ie, Photobooth or Coda or something) then press the space bar for Quicklook... If the two icons look identical (the one in the Finder, and the one in Quicklook)- then I guess they've fixed the issue.

-SC

I noticed this right away after installing 10.8, and I hate it. I actually did some research a few weeks ago and came across a thread that was discussing the problem. I can't find the thread now, but one of the posts included the 10.7 default color profile. I've been using it since then and let me tell you, it is night and day. Everything looks normal again. You can download the .icc file here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jsob02

To install it, simply drag and drop the .icc file to "/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/". Then open System Preferences -> Displays -> the Color tab -> and choose the second "Color LCD" profile (you may have to uncheck "Show profiles for this display only").

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I just want it to fix the nasty freezing bug I've experienced since updating to ML. Nothing responds to the cursor, graphic errors appear on the dock icons and the only way to fix is a forced reboot. I never had anything comparable occur under Lion.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I love the message and facetime options for the Mac, but I don't know how to use this affectively when you have multiple users on the same computer. For our iMac, I wouldn't want my wife to see all my messages when she goes to use the internet or pay bills and vice versa. It seems like these features are really meant for those who have their own laptop versus a shared family computer. Am I understanding that correctly?

If you share a family computer, you should still use different user accounts. That way, you don't have that problem. You don't even have to log off to switch user accounts so there really is no reason not to.

a1exey1azar

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Washington DC

Attachments

• Update.png
    Update.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 125

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Glad they finally fixed iMessages... that's literally all I've ever wanted from Apple... ever. Literally.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Does this integration also apply to ipads? When I use my Wifi iPad will I also receive texts sent to the phone?

Also, does this only apply to new messages or are all existing conversations backed up to IMessage?

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
How was this not included until this point?

I'm struggling to understand how Apple thought that giving people 'Messages' on the Mac that didn't do this from the start was a good idea.

You don't understand. Features like that NEED time to be rolled out, just all of a sudden including it among thousands of other changes in an OS (or any software for example) can spell chaos and trouble. Add that to millions of different users in different regions of the world with thousands of different configurations and see what might happen. Improving features and adding new ones aren't necessarily (if ever) a step by step basis drawn on a map.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Love the Messages across devices thing for phone numbers but I'm wondering if Apple will somehow allow multiple numbers on the same iCloud account? My wife and I share the same iCloud account (for Apps mainly) and obviously have 2 numbers.

M

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Anyone know if the choppy animations are fixed? (especially when doing Mission Control and changing desktops)?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Looks like a great update. Sorting in Notes is a wonderful surprise—seemed very un-Apple this wasn't included to begin with. Let's hope iOS6 does the same.

I hope Reminders is now full screen, like every other included app, and we can sort those too.

Mountain Lion is a great OS, but there are definitely some rough edges which feel more Microsoft 1997 than Apple.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Does this integration also apply to ipads? When I use my Wifi iPad will I also receive texts sent to the phone?

Also, does this only apply to new messages or are all existing conversations backed up to IMessage?

As long as the messages are iMessages (blue), all of the iMessages will show up on every device that you own that is signed into the same iCloud account.

I can see SOME benefit to people sharing iCloud accounts... but if you're sharing it and using iMessages, I for one wouldn't want everybody sharing it to be able to see all my messages or be sending and receiving using my account (you will get every text sent and received... including all notifications, unless they've been read on the device being used at the time).

----------

Anyone know if the choppy animations are fixed? (especially when doing Mission Control and changing desktops)?

That mostly has to do with your processor/graphics quality... if you have an older Mac (even a couple years old), most likely the choppiness won't be fixed. It COULD be, however, because graphics (among other deeper invisible changes) have been improved.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
so Much Good News ............in One Day

Today has got to be awesome or wud i say EVOLUTIONARY:cool:

evolution of the Phone world sync with the Mac world:apple:

vishalduggal

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
"New preference to have Safari launch with previously open webpages"

Really looking forward for this feature.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Does this mean they'll start shipping new updated iMacs tomorrow with 10.8.2?? I know, I know, I'm dreamin but dam I really need that iMac

MacDownunder

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I dont want freakin Facabook on my Mac

If I did I'd use an App, same for Twitter, etc, etc :eek:

Stop filling my OS with stuff I don't want, don't need and can add if or when I do.

They just made the OS nice and fast again - so stop with the bloat :mad:

johnny5k

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Oakland, CA

As someone else mentioned, this rather major OS X update could mean an iMac refresh... And if that is the case, and the other rumors about updated iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle refreshes are correct, that makes a total of 5 major device updates for the day (including, of course, the new iPhone) -- so just maybe that 5 in the event invite really wasn't about the name of the new iPhone, and was a misdirection based on 5 major product refreshes. In other words, maybe the new iPhone won't be called the iPhone 5 after all, and it will go with "New iPhone" like the New iPad. Just a thought. In any case, we'll find out in a little over 10 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.