Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
The Dell XPS Special Edition is lookin pretty nice these days. Maybe I should just get a cheap dell and practice trying to get used to Windows and be done with this mac stuff. Been mac all my life but tired of this.

Reactions: Tony N.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Everyone saying that "you should just back up": that doesn't make this a non-issue. Backups also fail, they aren't always as up to date, and regardless, there will always be various reasons to recover data from a drive. Always.

Your hard drive or SSD has "X" chance of failing. Your motherboard has a much higher, "Y" chance of failing. And now, with the new MacBook Pro, we've made sure that when one fails, so does the other. Meaning that the chance of your SSD failing is always the highest chance of the two. In other words, you are much more likely to lose your data forever with this machine, than with other machines.

If you use TimeMachine, you have to always have your drive plugged in in order to get hourly backups. With only 2 USB ports on the vast majority of MacBook Pros, there is no way you're always going to sacrifice one of them for that. So you'll back up whenever you remember to do so. I often forget for days to do a backup. And I don't want to lose an hour's worth of work, let alone that of multiple days!

Apple is dumb for doing this. That's all there is to it. Stop denying it. They make stupid choices and they are increasing your reliance on AppleCare and decreasing the lifetime of their own products, which whether they specifically planned for it or not, is making them more money. That's exactly what they're doing, I hope everyone's aware of this.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
It's not 330 anymore. It's 475.00 plus 100.00 for labor.

Reasons to not buy Apple laptop computers anymore.
1. soldered replaceable components, ie memory and ssd
2. 4 or 2 ports including power
3. Not testing computers at factory
4. Price
5. replacing f keys with idiocy
6. Out of warranty repair prices
7. too many component failures and lawsuits
8. farming out software, new os every year
9. adapter prices, needing adapters
10 garbage batteries

11. Crappy Keyboard.
12. Still the removal of one of the best Apple features ever, the Mag-Safe.
13. Entry Specs are a joke. base model ships with 256gb SSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfdlab

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If you use TimeMachine, you have to always have your drive plugged in in order to get hourly backups. With only 2 USB ports on the vast majority of MacBook Pros, there is no way you're always going to sacrifice one of them for that. So you'll back up whenever you remember to do so. I often forget for days to do a backup. And I don't want to lose an hour's worth of work, let alone that of multiple days!
...So plug your time machine disk into a compatible router and just have the computer do it automatically so you CAN'T forget.

The effort of people going out of their way to create their own issues is simply staggering.

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
...So plug your time machine disk into a compatible router and just have the computer do it automatically so you CAN'T forget.

The effort of people going out of their way to create their own issues is simply staggering.

Plugging your time machine in a router will not help you when you are on the road.
Plugging your time machine in a router will not help you get stuck and not be able to upgrade at ALL your Macbook so called Pro... AKA the soldered Donglebook...

The effort of Apple to milk more money out of its user by alienating their entire user base is completely ridiculous...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Plugging your time machine in a router will not help you when you are on the road.
Plugging your time machine in a router will not help you get stuck and not be able to upgrade at ALL your Macbook so called Pro... AKA the soldered Donglebook...

The effort of Apple to milk more money out of its user by alienating their entire user base is completely ridiculous...
Yet it will update you anytime you're not on the road. That's convenient, automatic, and should the worst happen at least get your to a recent state. IF you're on the road, it's on you to have backups of information that is critical. Otherwise you just flat out suck at whatever it is you're paid to do.

I don't know what the underlined is supposed to mean at all, can you rephrase that?

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
At an Apple meeting earlier, apparently Target Disk Mode doesn’t work either with the 2018 Macbook Pro.
Going to check this out later...if this true this is a real blow to us who look after Mac users

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Yet it will update you anytime you're not on the road. That's convenient, automatic, and should the worst happen at least get your to a recent state. IF you're on the road, it's on you to have backups of information that is critical. Otherwise you just flat out suck at whatever it is you're paid to do.

I don't know what the underlined is supposed to mean at all, can you rephrase that?

Whatever back ups you do, it does not solve the problem that the new Macbook have soldered RAM and SSD, what make them completely NOT upgradable, more difficult and costly to repair and more prone to have data failures.
So whatever you buy you are stuck with it. Really??

Hence the new name the Soldered Donglebook.

nguyenhm16

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2004
The Dell XPS Special Edition is lookin pretty nice these days. Maybe I should just get a cheap dell and practice trying to get used to Windows and be done with this mac stuff. Been mac all my life but tired of this.

LOL I have an XPS13 in my stable of work laptops and a personal 13" MacBook Pro. I hope you like the fans on the XPS13 cranking up like a jet turbine if you just look at it funny. Nobody will miss the rage quitters, BTW.

Reactions: honeycombz

allcapsnospaces22

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2018
And other people love to make excuses for Apple's incompetent and unnecessarily fragile engineering. There are a million different reasons why someone might create something incredibly valuable on a laptop in a few hours, and then have the computer die before they have a chance to make a complete backup of the data. Making full backups takes time, even with fast drives. Even a Time Machine backup can be an hour behind, and that's if you've been constantly connected to a network with a Time Machine NAS available.

Oh, and backups fail too. Including Time Machine backups. I've had several fail.

There is no defensible reason for soldering the storage and making it unrecoverable due to unrelated failures of the computer. It's not a valid way of keeping the data from being stolen, that's what encryption is for.

What makes all this so much worse is how Apple has tied so many different systems together in their recent laptops. Virtually any part of the logic board can make the entire system fail and lead to unrecoverable data. Including the Touch Bar circuitry. Watch a few dozen of Louis Rossmann's videos where he traces down the ridiculously common and simple problems that kill MacBooks.

The only way you can justify defending Apple's current portable design is by being completely ignorant of just how pointlessly fragile and single-point-of-failure they have become.

There is no defensible reason for building the system the way they did?! How about making the storage the fastest of any laptop? What about packaging requirements? I personally love the design of Apple hardware and have NEVER run into a data loss situation. Time machine is my primary backup, has seen my data move between about 15 macs since 2008. Also iCloud / google drive offer a perpetual sync of ANY folder on the Mac for an offsite backup.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
At an Apple meeting earlier, apparently Target Disk Mode doesn’t work either with the 2018 Macbook Pro.
Going to check this out later...if this true this is a real blow to us who look after Mac users

I used Target Disk Mode successfully when transferring from a Late 2012 MBP to a 2018MBP. However, my dad could not use it as it transfer speeds were really slow. So, it is not an across the board issue, but I am seeing other reports of it as well.

allcapsnospaces22

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2018
I sincerely hope that losing 1/2 a day of precious data will offer you some broader perspective in this.
In your perspective, car manufacturers might as well stop offering brakes, as pedestrians are not supposed to be on motorways anyway.
Apple'd better axe the overambitious guy who wanted to save a few bucks on CPU sockets for a $4000+ Pro-device (and the other idiot that decided to save a few millions on TimeCapsule for a multibillion company...)

Dude seriously? If you can produce the work in half a day then it can be re-made in half a day if you lost it. But have you ever heard of iCloud Drive, Dropbox, google drive, etc? Instant syncing to an offsite backup.
[doublepost=1532713825][/doublepost]
Yes.

And they don't need to design/engineer one. They could have kept using the one they had.
Except they would have had to design a new one since the T2 is the NAND controller now.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK

That's so you can keep your data safe!

Also
Can anyone confirm no target disk mode. That is a major issue and has saved my neck a few times.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Dude seriously? If you can produce the work in half a day then it can be re-made in half a day if you lost it. But have you ever heard of iCloud Drive, Dropbox, google drive, etc? Instant syncing to an offsite backup.
For sequential, non-iterative work of great (reproducable) routine that is.
In that case, indeed why even bother...

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
11. Crappy Keyboard.
12. Still the removal of one of the best Apple features ever, the Mag-Safe.
I knew I forgot something.
I do three backups everyday. CCC, superduper and a plain copy to a windows machine manually just for data.
I just had my MbP late 2013 worked on, replaced near everything except the screen and case. And one of the
USB ports isn't working. Back to Apple store. Any more and it goes to the lawyer.

macbookpro-file

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2016
Montreal, QC
Looks like a choice for the shareholders indeed. More profit to put it short. Just like John Deere equipment now being serviceable computers on machinery and wheels.

Atticustas

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
That's what happens when you solder everything. Everyone involved with the idea of the soldered donglebook, including those who bought it, deserve this. NO SYMPATHY when there's been so much backlash against the recent MacBooks.

You made your bed, now sleep in it :)

I’m quite annoyed by Apple doing this and think it’s totally unacceptable but comments like this are just as annoying. Dongles have absolutely nothing to do with this and blaming Apple’s design problems on the customer is ridiculous. It’s Apple’s responsibility to take care of the customers. The new MacBook Pro’s (2016 onwards) are great in general in my opinion even if there are some problems like this one and the T2 chip kernel panics.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I find it hard to believe Apple would have done this just for the sake of having the T2 chip and "Hey Siri". I get that a customer's data is not Apple's responsibility, but if there is no recovery option then this is very bad.

all in the name of security, but what exact security ?? Seems more of an annoyance..

Why would Apple do anything "one direction/one way" There is always a reason

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
I’m quite annoyed by Apple doing this and think it’s totally unacceptable but comments like this are just as annoying. Dongles have absolutely nothing to do with this and blaming Apple’s design problems on the customer is ridiculous. It’s Apple’s responsibility to take care of the customers. The new MacBook Pro’s (2016 onwards) are great in general in my opinion even if there are some problems like this one and the T2 chip kernel panics.

I agree with you. It is Apple's responsibility to create quality products. Unfortunately that has not been the case for many years. Innovation has been dead and uprade cycles are a joke. If we are paying a premium price for an "Apple" product then we should expect and demand better quality products.

THe new Macbooks Pro (2016+) are another major failure for several reasons.
- Soldered RAM and HD (is a major one) which make non upgradable computers, more expensive repairs and more prone to failure.
- removal of one the best features Mag Safe
- You cannot connect your own iphone-ipad
- Need of several dongles
- Major problems with keyboard (class action lawsuit).
- Way overpriced due to the touchbar.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
My advice is to put your important data in multiple copies in multiple external drives. Just don't rely on internal SSDs even if Apple has some way to recover your data. The SSD can also fail.
I travel a lot and I need to travel light, this means I need to travel with and extra external drive, actually is a 3.5” hdd comected to a sata dock... OK ready to spend another 150usd in a new gadget
[doublepost=1541237980][/doublepost]
Time machine backs up every hour.
Oh really? Even when tou are on the move? Dont forget your 4tb tine machine setup when you are travel light!

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes really. When activated TM still backs up every hour and the media used depends on what you select and its current availability. At worst, with no external drive or internet access to iCloud the TM will locally save the 'snapshots' and will seamlessly resume normal off-board backups when they are plugged in or available wirelessly.

Back in the day when traveling light the MBP SD card reader became a flush-fitting TM target drive Since this feature has been deleted I do now travel with an encrypted M.2 SSD that contains my TM backups, a bootable copy of MacOS as well as regular USB file transfers. A 'no throttle' TM backup to an M.2 SSD takes moments to complete.

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
> Yes really. At worst, with no external drive or internet access to iCloud the TM will locally save the 'snapshots' and will seamlessly resume normal off-board backups when they are plugged in or available wirelessly.

Although true, this isn't much good if the SSD cannot be accessed as described in this topic!​

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
Yes really. When activated TM still backs up every hour and the media used depends on what you select and its current availability. At worst, with no external drive or internet access to iCloud the TM will locally save the 'snapshots' and will seamlessly resume normal off-board backups when they are plugged in or available wirelessly.

Back in the day when traveling light the MBP SD card reader became a flush-fitting TM target drive Since this feature has been deleted I do now travel with an encrypted M.2 SSD that contains my TM backups, a bootable copy of MacOS as well as regular USB file transfers. A 'no throttle' TM backup to an M.2 SSD takes moments to complete.
Travelling with my ™ in the same backpack as my laptop, just the kind of thing I want to...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.