Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNBC reports that Apple is in the process of settling a class-action lawsuit against the company filed in 2005. The lawsuit charged that the first generation iPod nano's screen scratched "excessively during normal usage".

According to CNBC, the settlement calls for Apple to set aside $22 million to refund iPod nano users who apply for a partial refund:
According to a notice sent out to nano owners this week, "Apple has agreed to provide a cash settlement fund of $22.5 million," and for those consumers who did not receive a "slip case from Apple when you purchased your iPod nano, you may be entitled to a cash payment of $25. If you received a slip case, you may be entitled to a cash payment of $15."
While Apple has agreed to these terms, a judge still needs to sign off on the terms on April 28th. More details are available at iPodNanoSettlement.com and eligible customers include owners of "uncoated First Generation iPod nanos".

Article Link: Apple Settles iPod Nano Scratch Lawsuit with $25 Refund

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I had one of those nanos, though I wouldn't say the scratches impaired my enjoyment of it -- it still played music. Anyway, I've moved on to two different iPods since then (now just use iPhone). Trying to get $25 from this now would just be wrong...

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
Hmmm, now what to do with my $15.

I never understood these types of complaints though. Its a piece of plastic. If you carry it around in your pocket or scrape it up against things, it will scratch. It still works, it just doesnt look pretty anymore. Not a big deal, right?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Just....... wow. How about the cracking iPhones? Why don't they do something about that instead?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I had one of those nanos, though I wouldn't say the scratches impaired my enjoyment of it -- it still played music. Anyway, I've moved on to two different iPods since then (now just use iPhone). Trying to get $25 from this now would just be wrong...

It is not wrong, it is the conclusion of a class action settlement.

What can we conclude from this?
Class action cases take YEARS.
In the end the outcome is very little on an individual basis.
Many of us will not remember to bother to get our $25.00.

Just....... wow. How about the cracking iPhones? Why don't they do something about that instead?

See my previous statement. Class action lawsuits take years and years.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
That $25 won't fix my horribly scratched nano, but it will cover some parts for my iPod 5g. I break even again like Jerry Seinfeld. Ya know, that washed up bit of 90's nostalgia that is friends with The Gates.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
Trying to get $25 from this now would just be wrong...
I would think letting companies get away with this type of thing would be more wrong. You can be sure Apple will not be making this mistake again if they lose more money than they saved by using low end plastic, it will also deter other companies from screwing their customers as well by cutting corners to increase their margins.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I would think letting companies get away with this type of thing would be more wrong. You can be sure Apple will not be making this mistake again if they lose more money than they saved by using low end plastic, it will also deter other companies from screwing their customers as well.

What? It scratched. Plastic scratches. Making something that scratches is both not "wrong" and not a "mistake". As I'm sure you know, even in the world of Apple, consumers won't pay for diamond-coated everything.

Does it scratch more? Ah, well, then take care of it more.

How much of each product do you buy (from Apple, or elsewhere) goes directly into the legal fund? Perhaps if Apple didn't have to defend itself so vigorously against frivolity, the cost of these products would be either reduced, or more money would go into research or employment.

Try looking at things from the persepctive of the manufacturer in a competitive market.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
What? It scratched. Plastic scratches. Making something that scratches is both not "wrong" and not a "mistake". As I'm sure you know, even in the world of Apple, consumers won't pay for diamond-coated everything.

How much of each product do you buy (from Apple, or elsewhere) goes directly into the legal fund? Perhaps if Apple didn't have to defend itself so vigorously against frivolity, the cost of these products would be either reduced, or more money would go into research or employment.

Try looking at things from the persepctive of the manufacturer in a competitive market.

You clearly have no idea how bad the plastic was on the ipod nano and 5g ipod. It was unacceptable how soft it was, some people could barely read the screens anymore because of how badly it would scratch from just being in their pocket. No one gets sued because a product isnt scratch proof, they get sued when the product scratches so ridiculously easy that it gets ruined from normal use or requires you to buy something just to protect it from getting ruined.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Yes it is a big deal. The screens also scratched resulting in not being able to read the screen.

Hmmm, now what to do with my $15.

I never understood these types of complaints though. Its a piece of plastic. If you carry it around in your pocket or scrape it up against things, it will scratch. It still works, it just doesnt look pretty anymore. Not a big deal, right?

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california

Why should Apple Legal get paid such huge sums of money and holiday bonuses when they could have the one man legal team that can sum it up in a couple paragraphs like this? If only the judge would have heard the argument "plastic scratches", this 3-year class action lawsuit would have been squashed at the start... :rolleyes:

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
Looks like I'm $25 richer. I'll take it considering how my photo iPod broke after only 16 months and was not covered under any warranty.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... If only the judge would have heard the argument "plastic scratches", this 3-year class action lawsuit would have been squashed at the start... :rolleyes:

I heartily agree that "plastic scratches", but it's the ease of scratching that's in question in this case. Was the product fit for its intended purpose?

As an analogy, take the statement "paint fades": It's a fact, can't dispute it, yes? Now consider you've just bought a brand new red Ferrari and - within a year - its paint has faded to Barbie pink!

Would "paint fades" be an acceptable response from the manufacturer?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Hard to fake a serial number...

I meant people who have Nanos that they don't use, just claiming so they can get the $25, regardless of whether they actually deserve it...

I have a nano, I don't use it anymore, therefore I won't claim (I don't even think I can in the UK)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I would think letting companies get away with this type of thing would be more wrong. You can be sure Apple will not be making this mistake again if they lose more money than they saved by using low end plastic, it will also deter other companies from screwing their customers as well by cutting corners to increase their margins.

I'm not usually one to defend Apple if they do something stupid, but they never promised anyone scratch-resistance.

If this was another electronic company, I don't think there would have been a class action lawsuit. Over what? Whenever you don't like something, don't buy it again. There are a myriad of reasons not to buy a product again, and "prone to scratching" is one of them. If you buy a pair of shoes that aren't comfortable, and lots of people also don't find them comfortable, that company simply gets punished when it loses customers in the future (i.e. they don't have repeat buyers).

I switched from Adidas (uncomfortable) to New Balance (better) to Brooks.
I switch from Sony Ericsson (easy to scratch, joystick breaks) to Nokia (no issues).
I switch from iPods to Nokia 5800 (mobile phone...as mentioned above).
My parents switched from Volvo (worse) to Hyundai (better overall).

That's what normally happens. I switch because I'm a consumer. I switch because I can choose the best product offered in the market we're in.

There are simply far too many people who are too weak to just switch to a non-iPod. The alternatives aren't inferior. If you're the type of customer who's going to complain about a certain product, but would continue to buy the same product in the future, then I guess the class action lawsuit is OK. However, let me ask you: how does $25 ever compensate you for the scratched screen? $25 doesn't fix anything at all. :confused:

Saying that, the only time I think it's necessary to have a class action lawsuit is when you're promised something in an advertisement, but don't get it. For example, the battery life of your laptop. If you can't get the same battery life under the usage patterns that they used to test the laptop, then I call BS on Apple (or anyone else). If there should be a class action lawsuit against Apple, this is one area where it would make sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.