Apple Shares New 'Sticker Fight' Video Promoting iMessage Stickers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. triton100 macrumors regular

Of course. I take your point and I'm sure Apple have done their research into potential profit margins but I would be surprised if it barely registers financially to be worth the bother. And re this whole stickers 'fun with iphone', it feels old school. Like apple are following the trend rather than setting it. Not a big deal either way I'm just surprised.

2. I7guy macrumors G4

Out of curiosity, what trend are they (apple) following? Seems like all of the innovation into the imessage platform is to make it fun and secure and the same time.

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

"cow-tow" or, with a massive employee base, still address what used to be the core of their business for 30 years, instead of just giving lip service to it, with Timmy's magical "pipeline"?

Sorry, you'll just have to endure the harping about Apple's abandonment of the Mac.

4. I7guy macrumors G4

It doesn't really bother me as long as you endure ads like this. This is the new apple. The core of their business has shifted to iphone, but I'm sure the "magical pipeline" will contain some surprises.

5. triton100 macrumors regular

There's a plethora of platforms that use stickers

6. I7guy macrumors G4

Which ones? Hangouts? Whatsapp? However that goes back to that apple is never first, but their implementation and use is unique.

7. SoGood macrumors 6502

SoGood

The interface is confusing and selection/download from the AppStore is inconsistent. Not surprised it hasn't caught on.

8. Radon87000, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

Radon87000 macrumors 68040

Yes the great one. He single handedly revolutionised the world and created 3 of the world's most popular products. There won't be another like him in a century.

Can you imagine his response to this ads? It would be funnier than the actual ad

9. wigby macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, are you poking fun at me, the DJ in an Apple keynote or Phil Schiller? Or did I miss another vague criticism that didn't address my comment at all?

10. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502

Yah, I mean, I don't even use emoji's other than the smiley :) Looking for fancy emoji's takes time, and when I am texting etc, I can't believe sending more Emoji's or "stickers" is going to improve my communications.

I mean, the latest iOS iMessage does make it easy to tap on appropriate emoji's to replace certain words, but even then, it just seems like a bit of silliness to put an "emoji" picture of a basketball, when I type the word "Basketball" - I mean, really? I want to send a cryptogram type picture message asking when my son's (insert emoji picture of basketball) game is?

11. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

*raises hand* I'd want a thinner notebook.

My 2013 15" rMBP is a powerhouse, but a bit unwieldy when looked at from a mobility POV. Except for really demanding things like gaming or video cutting, battery life is quite usable as it is. If need be, an outlet is usually not far away. For the odd chance it isn't, mankind invented powerbanks.

Perhaps you should have worded your call a bit differently. Something around "I'd like ONE owner of the 2012-2015 generation of Retina MacBook Pro that considers himself a professional user to chime in ...". But even then you may find people arguing for a thinner machine.

If it hadn't been Apple pushing the envelope with the first MBA (pun not intended), there wouldn't be the (successful!) category of Ultrabooks existing in the market these days. I don't see why the MBP class of notebooks (i.e. "upper/luxury mainstream") shouldn't also try to advance and develop.

Apple has made it pretty clear that they don't see a viable niche for themselves in the "high end professional part" of the computer market. For (true or self-appointed) "professional users" who feel their needs not being satisfied with the current MacBook portfolio, there is a sufficient selection of competition products available.

12. Royal Gala, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017

Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

They know that the iPhone is their cash cow and that the Mac Pro has a smaller user base.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2017 ---
    Your response is incomprehensible. Guess I must be part of the sticker generation.

13. I7guy, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

I7guy macrumors G4

Not really, There are those who actually revolutionized the world than who people mistakenly believe did the same. Then there is cook who took Apple to new heights and is releasing decent advertising. Having said not to say a contribution wasn't made in the tech field.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_One

14. djbuddha macrumors regular

So by this rational I should either:

A. Run an ultra book and hackintosh it to support my Apple only tools I use? This is in response to the 'sufficient selection of competition products available' comment btw

or

B. Wait for the MacBook Pro-Pro - the device for actual professionals?

Mankind also developed a MacBook Pro with a great battery that isn't THAT big in all honesty. Not to mention, there are way more people who own the PREVIOUS gen (2011-and prior) who don't care about a thinner MacBook Pro either.

The ultrabook argument is interesting too as they were originally positioned against the 2012-2015 rMBPs.

So for mobility for those who don't want Pro notebooks, there's the retina MacBook which sure only has one port, but does a great job for those who aren't trying to work in the Pro space.

Take a poll and check the results, nobody demanded a thinner MacBook. You said a bit unwieldy, but you didn't demand it. Maybe it's not us "Pro's" who should be looking for the competitor's offerings- especially given Tim's recent comments about Apple not ignoring the Pro space (all IMHO mind you).

15. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Strange reply. I mentioned the Ultrabooks as an example for progress that changed the whole market, despite being belittled at the beginning. If you really want to hackintosh something, there are enough huge and heavy "professional-grade" notebooks out there, that also offer big and/or swappable batteries.

The better advice, though, would probably be to adjust your workflow accordingly (as a professional user usually does): Either to the available selection of Apple hardware or to a different OS platform.

You make me curious: Which MacBook Pro has a "great battery" that is better than the one in a 1st gen rMBP or a current MBP?

Judging by Apple's market and stock success, I tend to believe that they know their markets and opportunities and decide by commercial and strategic rationales. Surely there are people who don't care about a thinner notebook, but if they did not purchase anything since 2011 or longer, chances are their demands would already be more than fulfilled with a current MBP.

If they prefer to stick to their outdated tech for whatever reason, they are not of interest for a big company anyway. So why should Apple develop and produce products in homeopathic doses for those few people perhaps interested, but (more often than not) not buying, because it's too expensive / too slim / is lacking ports / has lacking battery time?!

"Against"? You mean they were meant to complement the notebook portfolio, with the focus on mobility, right?

Wow - elitist much? Care to share your opinion of what the "Pro space" actually is?

Henry Ford: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses". Or in other words: "Everyone is for progress, but noone likes the changes that go with it."

Rear guard battle.

You asked: "I'd like ONE owner of the 2012-2015 generation of Retina MacBook Pro to chime in and tell me they wanted a thinner notebook."
    I told you: "*raises hand* I'd want a thinner notebook. "

If you would have written "demand" in your original post, I'd have written that word in my reply as well. Deliberately ignoring the fact that neither you nor me are in a position to actually "demand" a product from a huge company like Apple.

Why haven't you already reacted and adjusted your workflow accordingly? Especially, as Apple's negligence for their "Pro" products (especially Macs) is going on for several years now. You just need to look at them acting, not at Phil or Tim talking.

Is it so hard to realize that the "Pro" moniker is not representing a generally accepted, common definition of a certain group of products or people, but is merely marketing speech by Apple?

16. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

Can you imagine a world without smartphones and tablets? Because that's what it would be without Steve

LOL "decent advertising" .So Apple wants people to buy iPhones for stickers now? This just goes to cement the widespread belief that iPhones are for small kids rather than adults or professionals

17. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

It's pretty silly to think you know what Apple should do. I'm not trying to be a dick but you know what you want.

18. LordVic macrumors 68040

funny, I had a smartphone and tablet computer before steve "invented" the iPhone and iPad :p

Im not saying these weren't revolutionary products in those markets. They truly were, because before that they were kinda crappy.

BUT, the industry had already started down the path. Apple saw the market and jumped in with a product guy who could see where the market was going.

Apple by no means invented the smartphone or tablet.

19. I7guy macrumors G4

Smartphones and tablets existed before Apple put their take on it. Windows tablets existed 10 years prior to the iPad.

And what's wrong with selling iPhones for stickers. All it does is cement the belief that iPhones can be used by everybody in all walks of life. At any rate, this is apples strategy and I like it.

20. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That seems incongruous with a phone that starts at $650. It would be like offering a Pokemon Go edition that is only available for the iPhone 7+ 256GB model.

21. I7guy macrumors G4

Isn't the allure of an iPhone an easy, robust platform for all ages and usages? Why am I paying $650 to be limited to say business apps. Why can't I buy an iPhone for my kids and have them send stickers in iMessage? One platform, all uses.

22. djbuddha macrumors regular

I don't know why you felt the need to start throwing shade at me referring to me as an elitist. I can't change my workflow because of the job I do.

Afraid of change? Where did this even stem from? It's a fact that the battery in my 2012 is an 8000mAh battery. A quick search will show you new Pro has much less. I even embrace all of this Thunderbolt 3 & USB-C technology and even recommend some use the non Pro MacBook. Asking for a bigger battery to support more RAM and the same 2016 tech isn't being afraid of change.

In fact, while skimming your response I decided to stop reading as soon as I hit the elitist remark. There was actually no need to call me that. It's a use-case argument. I'm no better than the next user and never implied that I was. If "Pro" means something different to you that triggers you, that's not my problem my friend.

I believed I was having an intelligent debate but clearly I was mistaken as suddenly you were offended by an opinion. I even wrote this is all IMHO. But apparently I don't work "correctly" by your standards.

I guess we differ on opinion, I'm leaving it there, please don't respond, save yourself time, I'm not going to read it.

Back to the topic, stickers are fun I guess ... :rolleyes:

23. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

Finally, a voice of reason. I'm so tired of reading the same 3 comments on every single article.

24. Neodym macrumors 65816

Neodym

Running out of arguments and then retreating with a flimsy excuse. Oh well, so be it. Speaks for itself. And as you wanted to change back to the sticker topic, here's a friendly advice: To avoid the "elitist" sticker, you shouldn't (among other no-no's) call other people "my friend" during a reply ...

25. WRChris macrumors 6502a

WRChris

The majority of the market Apple is after, are not spec whores. There are the naggers and whiners here, obviously.

Apple is in business to make money, not make everyone happy. Seems to me like they are making a lot of money just the way things are.(more then ever)

It's very simple, if people need 32gb of ram and removable batteries, Apple is not where you need to be.

If you need a "pro" desktop and aren't happy with the "current" Mac Pro, Apple is not where you need to be.

Buy what works for you, simple as that.