Apple Shares New 'Sticker Fight' Video Promoting iMessage Stickers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There is a condensed version of this that was said of Jobs: Some players will skate to where the puck will stop but Steve Jobs was the puck.

Jobs didn't look to see where market trends were going, he created them and product that consumers instantly understood. But Jobs was a rare bird. TC really is trying to push trends onto customers they they really don't want but also can't escape. Things like the Music and the TV apps that are really burdens on customers, Music in particular if you don't subscribe to Apple Music. The TouchBar which is especially not just useless to touch typists but also slows productivity in using F keys because they are no longer tactile. When Jobs did something new it was to make the user experience better, not just different or solely to suck more $ out of customers.

2. LordVic macrumors 601

absolutely. Jobs paid very close attention to the entirety of the industry. he saw where things were heading and he was able to identify potential markets to enter into that were ripe. He then designed the products aroud that market.

the bastardization that people are repeating today that "Apple knows best" is not at all what Jobs implied or meant with that particular statement.

I also hate that he ripped off "Skate to where the puck will be", as a hockey fan, I hate to see the Great One's words manipulated for such marketing purposes :p

3. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502a

thirteen1031

It isn't nonsensical. You think they're selling stickers, and yes, they are, but they're also selling iPhones. Fun with stickers = Fun with iPhone. And even if it just sells stickers...those little amounts to buy stickers add up as money in their pocket, too. Just like a dollar-a-song added up to a huge amount of money with the iTunes store.

And I'm not sure why it's such a big deal for them to have "a whole ad" on this. This doesn't look like an expensive ad. So. It costs them little, and could profit them a lot IF it sells iPhones (along with those stickers) to teens/college kids.

4. addicted44 macrumors 6502a

Apple: Let's make an ad based on a feature that has been on Weibo for half a decade, Facebook Messenger for many years, and a bunch of other minor apps ever since the original iPhone came out.

And a feature we can't bother to make work on macs, even though all our competitors already have (admittedly Facebook MEssenger stuff works through the browser, but iMessage doesn't even have that option).

5. Aldo Ferrel macrumors newbie

Aldo Ferrel

Apple making an ad based on stickers is a greater problem.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

"the great one"? I can't relate to that level of aggrandization for any individual.

Having said that there is nothing wrong with the ad, it's a tongue-in-cheek advert meant for the younger crowd and it's very cute.

7. Aussi3 macrumors regular

Aussi3

I don't know why yours is laggy and slow since iOS 10 cause I'm not seeing any difference with mine

8. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

-
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    I do like the idea of Apple advertising App Store content. It seems to have been something not focused on in the past.

I suspect the stickers focus is due to Apple about to drop iMessage for Android, so stickers on iMessage on android will be a new revenue stream.

I get the feeling you are looking for greater focus on Mac? This April might be special.

[​IMG]

9. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

Say it with crap you have to buy? So fun, seriously, I just can't understand why it hasn't caught on. You're not cool until all your messages are covered in consumerized fluff. Hopefully it dies a slow death and gives people another reason to switch.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

Switch to what?

11. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

I don't really care, do you? Sorry if it hurt your feelings.

12. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I'm guessing you're one of those people who can't stand small talk too. "They're sending stickers and talking about the weather instead of discussing the political ramifications of the Algerian War on the creation of the European Union oh the humanity !"

13. I7guy macrumors G5

It doesn't seem like MY feelings were hurt in the least. :cool:

However, you are free NOT to use this feature if you don't like it, but for those who do, it seems they will enjoy it.

14. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

There's definitely no point to them haha, it's just something fun you drop into a conversation or use to emphasize a point. I don't really see why Apple wastes money advertising it

15. joy.757 macrumors regular

I never really got into stickers. Only very rarely have I ever used one.

16. Count Blah, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Better hardware?

You must be talking about phones, because you can't possibly be talking about Macs.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2017 ---
    How are you enjoying your PC?

You would NOT see the backlash against Ads like this, IF Apple actually addressed the PROfessional products and Macs. Ads like this, while hardware is over 1000 days old, is a 100% insult to a good portion of Apple's most loyal fanbase. The ones who stuck with Apple while it was barely hanging on. The ones that proselytized Apple to their friends and families.

The sticker generation doesn't understand, but they wouldn't even need to be exposed to this backlash, if Apple would simply do the job it USED to do for decades - release compelling, quality professional computers.

17. groove-agent, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

I think there is the divide between Apple customers. There are those who are the pro/ business/ power user customers and secondly, the regular, every-day consumers. Of course, one can be both, but if you're of the former group, you're likely going to be disappointed with Apple's focus on the consumer products (which I would say are the iPads, iPhones, Apple watches). Let's face it, I'd bet there are more average consumers than pro users which is why they're more focused on the iPhones and iPads etc.. and the success of the original iPod brought Apple back from extinction.

I'm more of an old school Apple business user who sees the iPhone as a productivity device. Stickers doesn't help me in any way other than to bloat my phone, and slow it down. It takes me 4 times as long to reply from the home screen via text. If I could roll back to iOS 9, I would. Apple would rather force you to keep updating (by nagging you daily) to make their upgrade stats look better than Android, and bog your phone down until it's too slow you HAVE to upgrade.

Apple needs to revisit having a proper *pro* model and consumer model to keep both camps happy. Figuring out where the consumer model ends, and the pro model begins would be a challenge however. Apple products are an ecosystem and one can't have success without the other.

18. waterman macrumors newbie

Try quitting all the other Apps that are running in the background. double click on the home button and then flick the un-needed buy open apps up to close them.

Any time someone tells me (or even if I have a problem) with my iPhone, it usually is because I have to many Apps open and I have a iPhone 7 with 256Gb.

19. JGRE macrumors 6502a

JGRE

I hope you are being sarcastic,
    I was in Algeria in January and there was no war :)

20. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Believe me, even on iPhone 7 with no apps running, messages crashes. It seems to cache allanimated stickers at once even when not in view. Then starts eating away at storage. Messages is rather buggy.
    Messages in iOS 10 also ignore developer settings regarding repeating animated stickers. 3 repetitions in reality equals infinity on imessage. I hope Apple really fixes this up. It's not a good user experience. The sticker files are tiny less than half a megabyte. Very unusual.

21. SpiderDude macrumors regular

SpiderDude

Me too. That's literally the first thing I though when I saw this video. The thing is, I'm 28. Is 28 old guys?

22. Macaholic868 macrumors regular

Macaholic868

The stickers are blatant money grabs. I feel bad for every parent out there who got suckered by their children and/or teenagers into buying one.

23. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Yup.
    If stickers and emojis aren't a priority in your life you're probably too old for the "new" Apple.

24. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502a

thirteen1031

Apple: Let's make an ad for a feature that no one else has bothered to exploit. And let's make it look like we have the best of these--while showing whoever doesn't know much about these how to use them and why they might want to use them--and thus, sell more of these than anyone else. Also more of whatever device is needed to use them.

I'd call that good marketing. It's what Apple has done from the get-go, what Job's pretty much did over and over again, and the result is that Apple is a billion dollar company. Are you really only realizing this now? You can rant about it as much as you like, the fact is, those other companies have "snoozed" on this and lost their chance to advertise it. Meaning they have lost the chance to reap the rewards they might have gotten if they'd advertised them five years ago. Boo-hoo.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

It wouldn't matter. With such a large fan-base on the biggest rumor site, there is always going to be contrarian sentiments; from the ridiculous to the sublime.

The issue is the "loyal" fan base, as opposed to the massive customer base, believes that apple should cow-tow to their needs as opposed to who apple sees as it's customers in 2017. I believe that apple will release some kick-ass products that the "loyalists" will be happy with, but when apple is ready.

In the meantime, apple has changed and they are doing things differently. People will have to adapt to apple's new ways.