Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Because let's be honest, even copying and pasting text is a REAL PAIN on ANY iOS device.
I use the copied app. It reimagines the clipboard management workflow and can actually speed up the process in the right scenarios.

For example, if I need to upload multiple links in google classroom, I would first save them all in copied (either via the widget or share sheet extension), then switch over to the classroom app, and paste them all in rapid succession via Copied’s keyboard app.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
The traditional computer has been in decline for six or seven years, and that’s due to tablet computers. Fewer and fewer people require desktops/notebooks to do what they need to do.

View attachment 816415

The capability to edit 4K/8K footage is not determinant. It’s a niche market, and certainly there are plenty of applications where tablet computers aren’t appropriate. In fact, cloud computing is making “traditional” computers increasingly obsolete, especially for business. One can easily throw two/ten/dozens/hundreds of CPUs and/or GPUs at a problem as needed.

You forgot to explain what these numbers are. It looks like sales. Notice that the biggest sales declines are projected for tablets.

kakinc

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2018
Toronto
People need to remember that they are not necessarily the target market for the advertisement. The members here tend to be more tech-savvy, and more comfortable with complexity and power.

What the ipad brings to the market is the ability to streamline all these otherwise complex tasks for the normal everyday person.

I can share a personal anecdote of how I had fun with my iPad Pro at work this week. As a teacher, I was tasked with creating a roster of the students in my form class, complete with names and mugshots.

So what I did was use my ipad to take photos of each of my 40 students, crop them in the photos app, then insert them one by one into the supplied PowerPoint template. This last step was made easier by the use of split-screen (PowerPoint and photos running side-by-side) and drag-and-drop.

Finally, export it as a pdf to Dropbox, and emailing the final file (over 50 mb) to my year head using mail drop in the stock mail app.

It’s not an exactly complicated task, but there are numerous steps involved, and it’s ultimately easier when you are able to do it all on one device, compared to fiddling with a smartphone and laptop. Already, I see my colleagues struggling to import their photos to their work-issued windows laptop, or resorting to emailing the photos to themselves or uploading to google photos (which is still an extra step).

That’s what the ipad represents - an integrated solution which just works right out of the box.

When things doesn't work out, these same people will go to people like you... or me... tech savvy type.
And I can only tell them, iPad doesn't work like that, you can't do this and that...
They might also end up resent you for recommending it... (if you had). Especially for the price...

Never recommend Apple products to anyone close to you...

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I use the copied app. It reimagines the clipboard management workflow and can actually speed up the process in the right scenarios.

For example, if I need to upload multiple links in google classroom, I would first save them all in copied (either via the widget or share sheet extension), then switch over to the classroom app, and paste them all in rapid succession via Copied’s keyboard app.

You need to download an app to make copy/pasting better? Well, that does indeed say it all, right? It's not even the copying/pasting that's the biggest annoyance. It's the actual selecting of text that can be a total pain, depending on how the e.g. web page is formatted.

Oy... even thinking about copying/pasting on iOS devices gives me palpitations. Give me a moment while I use the ECG feature on the Apple Watch Series 4... I'm pretty sure that's why this feature exists: for iPad users.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'm not detracting from the fact you managed to get the job done but for many it would be a less than ideal solution and certainly does not justify the price of an IPP that in this instance you managed comparable wotk to a full OS.

Many do tasks simply due to familiarity and if your comfortable with your IPP that's fine for you but for many it would be a case of making it work opposed to knowing it would work on a more capable platform that most are familiar with.

Not sure why you used a separate app to crop where W10 PowerPoint allows cropping insitu and cropping could of been avoiding completely with a passport mugshot app :) leaving just sizing to suit template and probably considerably smaller file size.

Still the bottom line is you got the job done :) and many 2 in 1's or surface products are equally if not more versatile
You are probably right on the resizing issue. However, this is also just one of many things I do on my iPad. I teach with it in class. It’s an excellent consumption device at home. It’s great for email, browsing the web, amongst other tasks. I like its portability, battery life, in-built 4g and ease of use. In terms of convenience, and the trouble saved from not having to deal with windows, I will say my past and present iPad purchases have more than paid for themselves in the form of greater productivity and fewer problems overall.

https://www.macstories.net/stories/thinking-different-keys-to-adopting-an-ipad-first-workflow/

Federico Viticci recently did an article on the challenges going iPad first, and I largely agree with him that the number one roadblock is still mindset first and foremost.

Nobody is born instinctively knowing how to use a particular device. People tend to be more accustomed to PCs because that’s what they have used for decades and that’s what they know will get the job done.

If you want a device to work for you, you will have to be ready to invest the time and effort into making it work. Sometimes, it’s simply a matter of waiting for the right app or feature to be implemented, but more often than not, I find it’s about believing enough in the possibilities of the platform to make it work, and well as embracing, rather than rejecting, the idiosyncrasies of the iOS computing platform.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
When things doesn't work out, these same people will go to people like you... or me... tech savvy type.
And I can only tell them, iPad doesn't work like that, you can't do this and that...
They might also end up resent you for recommending it... (if you had). Especially for the price...

Never recommend Apple products to anyone close to you...

I don’t, because I recognise that different people have different needs and levels of expertise. However, I am happy to be their Apple tech support at work should they have questions about it, and I have helped a fair number of people along the way.

And I will say this - the PC isn’t the utopian computing paradigm you are all making it out to be either. You would think that people would be happy at an extra option which helps put the “personal” back in “personal computing”.

Reactions: meneush

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You need to download an app to make copy/pasting better? Well, that does indeed say it all, right? It's not even the copying/pasting that's the biggest annoyance. It's the actual selecting of text that can be a total pain, depending on how the e.g. web page is formatted.

Oy... even thinking about copying/pasting on iOS devices gives me palpitations. Give me a moment while I use the ECG feature on the Apple Watch Series 4... I'm pretty sure that's why this feature exists: for iPad users.

I see it as an investment. Same as downloading documents to sync my Dropbox files to my iPad, getting notability to house my textbooks, or crafting a workflow which automates a routine task.

What you want out of your iPad ultimately depends on what you are willing to invest in it, be it time, money or energy. No different from when you started out using a laptop or desktop.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I see it as an investment. Same as downloading documents to sync my Dropbox files to my iPad, getting notability to house my textbooks, or crafting a workflow which automates a routine task.

What you want out of your iPad ultimately depends on what you are willing to invest in it, be it time, money or energy. No different from when you started out using a laptop or desktop.

Sure, but I expect basics in a computer I depend on. The iPad Pro simply doesn't cut it. I love my iPad Pro, but it's never going to replace a proper computer the way Apple is playing this game.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Have you guys used iOS? I am able to save work on my Mac and see it, modify it, and move it on my iPad. Some work included notes (notability, notes app, Pages/Word) and programming (python and C++ code) among other things. iOS already has pretty great file management. Can it be improved. Oh god yes but let’s not be dumb here.

Yet I cannot transfer to/from any USB mass storage device. I get the whole "cloud" stuff, but connecting storage devices is still a pretty basic task and there's little reason the iPads shouldn't be able to do it.

Mouse Support could be a first step to better usability.
Füll screen Support for external Monitors in all modes a second.

Literally the two things I most want to see.

Chromebooks are much better for the classroom. Any kid can login to any Chromebook and have all of their stuff. And when they go home, they can still login from a home computer and work on their assignments. You can't do that with an iPad.

Actually I'm pretty sure Apple has some special iCloud stuff for the education sector that makes it work like that, too.

https://www.apple.com/education/products/

Reactions: radus

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Sure, but I expect basics in a computer I depend on. The iPad Pro simply doesn't cut it. I love my iPad Pro, but it's never going to replace a proper computer the way Apple is playing this game.

The issue I see here is that this could otherwise have been an excellent opportunity for people to further discuss the possibilities of an iPad so that customers can make their own informed decision as to whether an iPad is indeed a suitable computing alternative for them.

Instead, we have so many people all too eager to tear the iPad down and write it off as a lost cause right from the get go. Or make inane “bending” barbs which otherwise add little of value to the discussion.

Is it jealousy that the iPad seems to be getting more attention than the Mac? Fear for the future of their own Mac platform? Plain ignorance?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
The thing is, more serious app developers are going to need to buy into this "Pro" vs. non-"Pro" iPad tier system and start delivering. I can't really blame Apple for there being no iOS versions of Matlab, Mathematica, LyX and TeXShop - apps I kind of have to have on my personal computer or whatever replaces it - but then the price tag is really not justified.

I've been hearing this talk about convergence for some time now - being able to run iOS apps on the Mac or vice versa, that would be great as a first step. Unfortunately I'm afraid at first things would look ugly, i.e. one would have to use Apple Pencil to point and click as one would do with a mouse - and ugly is not the Apple way, so won't happen so soon.

gwaizai

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I think Ipad's great for doing Ipad stuff. What I don't get is why Apple is
pushing a narrative they know is false. Laptops are mobile desktops. No way is an Ipad a
mobile desktop. Are they pushing this pile of bologna
because they want to charge laptop prices for it?

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The issue I see here is that this could otherwise have been an excellent opportunity for people to further discuss the possibilities of an iPad so that customers can make their own informed decision as to whether an iPad is indeed a suitable computing alternative for them.

Instead, we have so many people all too eager to tear the iPad down and write it off as a lost cause right from the get go. Or make inane “bending” barbs which otherwise add little of value to the discussion.

Is it jealousy that the iPad seems to be getting more attention than the Mac? Fear for the future of their own Mac platform? Plain ignorance?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Erm.... what further possibilities? The iPad hasn't evolved in YEARS except for the Pencil. Everything else every other iPad has been able to do. Perhaps slower, but come on..., now...

And it's not envy or anything else. I have a 2018 iPad Pro! I love typing on it with the Smart Keyboard (overpriced as it may be). The issue is that it's just not what Apple keeps making it out to be.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Erm.... what further possibilities? The iPad hasn't evolved in YEARS except for the Pencil. Everything else every other iPad has been able to do. Perhaps slower, but come on..., now...

And it's not envy or anything else. I have a 2018 iPad Pro! I love typing on it with the Smart Keyboard (overpriced as it may be). The issue is that it's just not what Apple keeps making it out to be.

iOS 11 brought multitasking, drag and drop, the dock and files to the iPad. You can’t just dismiss that with the wave of a hand.

And here’s a repository of people I have seen using their iPad for work thus far.

Writing
https://www.macstories.net/stories/one-year-of-ipad-pro/

Photography
http://austinmann.com/trek/ipad-pro-photographer-iceland

Teaching

Video editing

Podcast recording
https://birchtree.me/blog/how-to-record-and-edit-a-podcast-with-ferrite-for-ios/

Art
https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2018/11/14/drawing-on-the-new-ipad

The intent isn’t so much to say you have to do all this on the iPad, but it certainly goes to show that the iPad is a lot more capable than the detractors are giving it credit for. If at the end of it all, you still feel that your Mac or Windows PC is still more suitable, then stick with it by all means.

However, if you wish to get more done on your iPad and more out of it, I do feel the iPad has come a long way. There are certainly more apps and accessories available for it now.

Seriously, would it kill the critics to give the iPad its due recognition?

Reactions: UTHorn and meneush

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
iOS 11 brought multitasking, drag and drop, the dock and files to the iPad. You can’t just dismiss that with the wave of a hand.

And here’s a repository of people I have seen using their iPad for work thus far.

Writing
https://www.macstories.net/stories/one-year-of-ipad-pro/

Photography
http://austinmann.com/trek/ipad-pro-photographer-iceland

Teaching

Video editing

Podcast recording
https://birchtree.me/blog/how-to-record-and-edit-a-podcast-with-ferrite-for-ios/

Art
https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2018/11/14/drawing-on-the-new-ipad

The intent isn’t so much to say you have to do all this on the iPad, but it certainly goes to show that the iPad is a lot more capable than the detractors are giving it credit for. If at the end of it all, you still feel that your Mac or Windows PC is still more suitable, then stick with it by all means.

However, if you wish to get more done on your iPad and more out of it, I do feel the iPad has come a long way. There are certainly more apps and accessories available for it now.

Seriously, would it kill the critics to give the iPad its due recognition?

Your argument doesn't disprove the fact that for MOST people the iPad isn't enough. Can't drag and drop files to someone being the big one.

I gave the iPad its recognition in an earlier post. I love mine, but I'm not going to go around telling people if they want a computer they should buy one first and foremost. That said, I absolutely recommended one to my elderly neighbor so she can easily watch Netflix and browse Facebook. :)

Also, guess what? Every application looks just great on my iMac. How long do you reckon till the Facebook app is updated for the iPad 11, or ... you know the iPhone XS Max? Sure, you can blame the developers if you want, but the iPad doesn't scale like a monitor does. The iPad doesn't work as well as a regular Mac, period. That's all we're saying. It's not in the same LEAGUE as a Surface Pro for PROPER personal computing.

kakinc

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2018
Toronto
I don’t, because I recognise that different people have different needs and levels of expertise. However, I am happy to be their Apple tech support at work should they have questions about it, and I have helped a fair number of people along the way.

And I will say this - the PC isn’t the utopian computing paradigm you are all making it out to be either. You would think that people would be happy at an extra option which helps put the “personal” back in “personal computing”.

==.==" I am a Mac user, I am actually okay recommending Mac, just not iPad or iPhone in general.
After getting 2 family members stuck in Apple ecosystem... I am now very cautious to what I suggest.

Reactions: HJM.NL

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Even while doing some very basic office stuff, I easily get frustrated on the iPad and grab my MacBook. something simple like forwarding a mail but realising I need to copy a list of recipients from another mail in my inbox in Outlook. I’m already stuck because of the lack of true multitasking and apps only having one window.

You really need to plan ahead with even the most basic actions. And don’t get me started on selecting text, copy/paste or the fact that every image and video has to be in the camera roll if you want to share it between apps.

iOS is great for fun. But it’s not pro. Or semi-pro.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
My new iPad Pro 11 suffered from spontaneous Display Screen Crack. No impact, no fall, no bend. Out of nowhere a hairline in from edge to edge in a corner. Luckily in the first 2 weeks, so i just return it. Anyone else noticing such strange damage?

"A New Way To Crack"

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I love how they always show these super basic tasks and think its a computer replacement. Writing a word, adding a picuture etc. is not really PRO nor doesn't show how really "computer replacement" it really is. As mentioned, all that could be done on budget iPad.

Maybe Apple is targeting grandmas and grandpas :-D
It’s all very funny to see these commercials and think about the idea of an “iPad Pro.”

Watch the original iPad keynote—the device was never meant to be a laptop replacement, yet here we are 9 years later, trying to hammer that square peg in a round hole.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I have the last generation iPad pro, it is super fast but I only use it to read books and take notes. I use it a couple times a week, but I use my MacBook Pro every single day. If the iPad ever wants to replace my laptop, I need it to be able to run Xcode, have a true file system, and be a complete development machine. I don't understand how Apple can sell the iPad pro as a "pro machine" if you can't even create iPad apps on it? Right now, my iPad feels like a race car in a 20 mph school zone, it has awesome hardware and potential but there is very little software that can actually take advantage of it. Until Apple makes Logic, Final Cut, Xcode and other actual "pro apps" for the iPad, I will always consider the iPad as a tool and not a "pro machine".

I totally agree with this! Where is Xcode? Where is Final Cut? More importantly...where is the ability to create multiple user profiles?!?! What kind of “modern computer” is hard linked so that only one person can use it?

Also, Apple needs to install pro apps on their demo machines in store. The old iPads have Procreate and other creative apps.

On older iPads a 20”x20” 200dpi document in procreate only let’s you have 5-7 layers. That’s bs but there is no way to see if that has changed using the newest iPad Pro. :(

pentool

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
I have been fascinated to watch the development of Apple's commercials since they brought it all in house, mostly they have been very well done with a few exceptional. It is the soundtrack that has always brought them to life and it seems that all the years have come together because these are the most impressive set of ads I've seen yet from Apple.

The soundtrack choice for what they wanted to show is pure genius, and the execution and subtleties of the soundtrack somehow make it possible to view the fast moving fast happening screen images without feeling nauseous.

If only they could do such exceptional work with getting rid of the tremendous amount of bugs in their operating systems, that would make me sit through at least one of their commercials.

Warren Buffduck

Suspended
Jan 19, 2019
People need to remember that they are not necessarily the target market for the advertisement. The members here tend to be more tech-savvy, and more comfortable with complexity and power.
What the ipad brings to the market is the ability to streamline all these otherwise complex tasks for the normal everyday person.
I can share a personal anecdote of how I had fun with my iPad Pro at work this week. As a teacher, I was tasked with creating a roster of the students in my form class, complete with names and mugshots.
So what I did was use my ipad to take photos of each of my 40 students, crop them in the photos app, then insert them one by one into the supplied PowerPoint template. This last step was made easier by the use of split-screen (PowerPoint and photos running side-by-side) and drag-and-drop.
Finally, export it as a pdf to Dropbox, and emailing the final file (over 50 mb) to my year head using mail drop in the stock mail app.
It’s not an exactly complicated task, but there are numerous steps involved, and it’s ultimately easier when you are able to do it all on one device, compared to fiddling with a smartphone and laptop. Already, I see my colleagues struggling to import their photos to their work-issued windows laptop, or resorting to emailing the photos to themselves or uploading to google photos (which is still an extra step)
That’s what the ipad represents - an integrated solution which just works right out of the box.
Sounds like a rather minimalist interpretation of the terms "integrated" and "Pro"
Apart from creating a document as an individual teacher, I'd say a real Pro would also need a class-level, uniform way for sharing, reviewing documents, tests, for managing versions and revisions etc.
So how does iPad fit in that workflow with your key peer group?
With its pricepoint, would there be any incentive for any school to invest in iPad based education, in administrative functions to facilitate networked education, device management ?
What would be Apple's competitive advantage over cheaper and more proliferated Chrome-based solutions that do implement workflow with device mgt. ?
Now I don't know any school (yet) that has the incentive to standardize on Apple (a full workflow solution not being available from Apple) or else, in any iPad-compliant way.
Google Classroom, AFAIK offers the complete, more affordable environment, but I don't know the world. So what's you angle on that ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.