Apple Shares Teaser for Upcoming 'The Morning Show' Drama Coming to Apple TV+ This Fall

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Jean Claude macrumors newbie

Jean Claude

I prefer the alternate title, Morning Wars .... shoulda gone with that for the American version.

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Having spent 45 minutes looking for something decent on Netflix last night, I am starting to question what the heck they really have that's any good, particularly as they start to lose licensed content like the Office. Netflix has like 3-4 good original shows and tons of garbage.

Disney's content is lightyears (pun intended) ahead and I'd be absolutely terrified as a NFLX shareholder long term. All these companies are going to get their own service and you need owned content and tons of money. Netflix doesn't have a ton of money.

3. Pupi macrumors 6502

Pupi

Netflix didn't rely on exclusive content for years and years. I think people are forgetting that Apple can just license content to fill in the gaps, and boy do they have the money for it.

4. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I miss the hardware and software Apple of the 2000’s

5. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Tv...Meh, I rather do something else, like reading silly comments on MR, J.K.

6. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Did anybody else have a headache after watching that trailer? I did, and that's not a great first impression of the series. I'd love to see Steve Carell in a comedy series again, but I don't think this aims to be a comedy series. That said, I hope there will be some thoughtful examination of bias in news reporting, but I'm not holding by breath.

7. calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Sounds like you need to become a content broker. Maybe you can become Netflix's content warden.

8. erinsarah macrumors 6502

I respectfully disagree, as Steve Carell has put forth several good non-comedy movies as of late, Reese has certainly done drama well, and Jennifer...well, everyone lovers Jennifer....

9. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

Can't help but wonder if this show is going to serve to legitimize all the modern-day "Objective Journalists" that are anything but unbiased.

10. loudfan macrumors newbie

The morning show's logo looks just like the boring company's logo. Who copied whose logo?

11. kingspointer macrumors newbie

kingspointer

Doubtful, this looks like it's going to be a serious program. I think he's distancing himself from comedic roles.

12. CordovaLark macrumors member

CordovaLark

It was already showing sings of being dead in the water right when they showed three different subscription costs, they should have just announced it as a bundle right out the gate.

13. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

The problem with that is that the studios are starting to pull their content from third party streaming services. Disney (who now owns Fox), Warner Bros. and NBC/Universal have all announced plans to pull content and create their own services. The amount of stuff out there to license could be drying up.

As it stands, with what Apple has currently announced for ATV+, I do not plan to continuously subscribe. I'll sub, watch the 1 or 2 shows I'm interested in and then cancel. Repeat when the next seasons are released. This is how I treat CBS All Access, I sub when ST Discovery is airing, cancel when it is not.

14. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Love the hyperbole. Apple will be destroyed or can’t compete or whatever. I’m sure the people at Apple have no idea they’ll be humiliated, destroyed, and have no chance whatsoever. None. I’m sure they are working on hopes and dreams that they’ll be the #1 streaming entity from day 1....

Or, maybe they’re smart enough to have thought through the issues and maybe have a strategy that we don’t see yet? But, no, they’ll be in financial and existential ruin for daring to do any form of streaming without revealing all the details to the masses.

15. Mactendo macrumors 68000

I just hope the production quality will be on par with HBO and not Netflix. We don’t need more of the mediocre content.

16. smashcutt macrumors newbie

smashcutt

Why cut a promo for a series without showing the faces of any of the stars, each of whom was reportedly paid $1M per episode?

17. Attirex macrumors 6502a

Attirex

Ah, yes, a battle of morning TV shows....because this is 1987? Unless the demographic of The Morning Show is retirees (who actually watch morning programs), I can't imagine a more out-of-touch premise. Good lord.

18. nutmac macrumors 601

Disney+ is launching on November 12. Apple TV+ is expected to launch on September, most likely coinciding with iOS 13/new iPhone launch. My guess is that Apple will announce Apple TV+ specifics on September 10, the date Apple is expected to unveil the new iPhone.

As for the price, I expect it to cost $9.99/month, just like Apple Music and Apple News+, with 1 month free trial.

The key question is whether Apple will offer bundling to ease subscription fatigue, such as $19.99/month that lets you pick 3 services (buy 2 get 1 free).

19. tooloud10 macrumors 6502

They showed Carell and Aniston's faces several times.

20. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Who would pay to watch low quality content when there's so much free quality content?

21. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Is this a subscription required service? If so, I'm not interested.

22. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Indeed, I was gonna ask… from the teaser, it looks a bit like a The Newsroom rehash. Only the execution of that was a little lacking, and so far, nothing in the teaser makes me think "oh yeah, this will be way better"?

23. Biu_miu macrumors member

I imagine the "strategy" is this
    1) Hype- Apple tends not to advertise stuff too much. They leave it to the people themselves to talk about the product and hype it up for free. (at least before leaks were more common than ever). Like in this case, we are just talking-wow, what the price would be- just keeping ATV+ brand in our brains and on tongues and spreading it around.
    2) Keep potential customers interested as long as possible- if they announce price now, example-23,99 $ month. Literally everybody, that was on the fence about subscribing, will bail to Disney or Netflix or torrents or whatever.

24. crawfish963 macrumors 6502a

crawfish963

It's a risk/reward venture. If it fails, they will have spent tens of millions down the drain. If it succeeds, in 5 years it will be adding billions to their revenue stream annually.

25. Marco Klobas macrumors regular

Marco Klobas

I really hope Apple will offer bundles.

Something like this – man, with all these pluses I've to write a math equation:

Bundle = ((Apple Music) + (Apple News+) + (Apple TV+))