Apple Shares Teaser for Upcoming 'The Morning Show' Drama Coming to Apple TV+ This Fall

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2019.

1. sub150 macrumors member

I'd say Apple should have bought HBO when it had the chance but they likely would have ruined it so I'm glad they didn't!

2. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502a

What is "beyond belief" is that Apple thinks anyone anywhere is going to subscribe to an all-originals service.

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

4. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

I always thought a trailer was supposed to be edited specifically to really engage the viewer and make them go "oh that looks great, when is it on?..." Guess nobody told Apple.

69 seconds of my life I won't get back.

5. TheRealDGD macrumors member

TheRealDGD

Really???? This is what the once great computer manufacturer has become??? Oh well, maybe the internet was not such a great idea to begin with......

6. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I'm curious if Apple will bundle Apple News+, Apple TV+ and Apple Music for one price.

The trailer really didn't do anything for me, but I'll certainly check it out once released.

7. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

I'm not particularly interested in another streaming service, but with those three leading I'm tempted to check it out.

Wish they would have come up with a better name than "Apple TV+" for their streaming service though.

8. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

The difference between when Netflix came up and now is that there was content out there to license. All that content is moving back to the owners streaming services now. If Netflix came out today it would never have reached the same level of usage because it could not be built on the back of licensing all the popular content like Lost, Friends, and The Office.

9. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

all apple videos are like that on youtube.

10. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

And that's the problem they have now. They will slowly bleed licensed content until they have to stand on their own. A majority of the watched NFLX hours are rumored to be licensed content (duh) because the quality original Netflix content is sparse.

Creating original content is hard and extremely expensive. Apple can spend for it.

Disney already has it.

11. hagar macrumors 6502a

Apple, make it 19,99 for Apple Music, Arcade and ATV+ Bundle and you have a deal.

12. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

Pleas Disney doesn’t have a single original idea. Only so long they can remake their old films and sooner or later the Superhero movies will get old.

13. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

It's only a teaser if it's about something people are actually interested in. Otherwise the term for this is "annoying ad."

14. bpeeps, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019

bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

The Newsroom would like a word with you.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2019 ---
    Not when everyone is keeping their content for their own streaming services.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2019 ---
    Because it's a teaser. It's not trailer. Teasers are cut to build intrigue/mystique, they don't usually give much away. Furthermore, Steve Carell and Jennifer Aniston's voices are pretty unmistakable in this. And that's not even mentioning that technically their faces are indeed in the teaser.

15. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Who owns more quality content than Disney? Disney's library of content is unmatched.

Disney has been about the only company that proves they can consistently execute (monetize) content, regardless of how they get it.

16. Mars_TheHuman macrumors newbie

And whining about it cost you another 30.

17. JCarmona macrumors member

I admire the naiveness of Tim Cook and Apple execs; to consider they can compete with Disney (incl. The Simpsons, Marvel MCU, Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, Disney Classics, Hulu and ESPN) and with Netflix.

If Netflix, who has been the key player and an established one, should be shaking that Disney+ is coming; I don't get Apple's move.

No way I'm paying a streaming service for a series I can download on Pirate Bay

18. Mars_TheHuman macrumors newbie

You must have a lot of stuff if you'd rather steal instead of paying for things you don't want.

19. malexandria22 macrumors newbie

Disney and Apple TV + aren't ready and should wait another full year when they have enough content to justify launching. Disney Plus is launching with just one show and a few Marvel movies. Apple TV is launching with just a few series. This is ridiculous. I appreciate Warner for waiting until next year to launch HBOMax. What's the big rush to launch this stuff this year when neither service has enough content to justify it. And at least HBOMax will have DCUniverse, CW, WBTV and HBO Backlog stuff to tide people over. Disney isn't even going to give us their full backlog right away.

20. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

No, it's not "beyond belief" that a company has not announced the price of a product or service that isn't for sale. It's not even unusual.

21. entropys, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019

entropys macrumors 6502a

entropys

Leaving aside the Channel BT discussion, I think you are broadly correct. Rather than be concentrating on being the best platform to watch content from any streaming service, Apple has decided to compete with them. This is the brain dead sort of **** that the MBA types running cell phone carriers have tried on, forgetting they are essentially big dumb pipes. Well Apple isn’t dumb, but it got where it is today by selling a perfect marriage of OS and hardware. You make content from stuff you bought from Apple, buying the content from them too may not end well if the real content providers tell them the get lost, like Netflix is starting to find out.

Edit: At this point, the best way to monetise this would seem to be offer the service free with every new iPhone or Mac, or just as part of the Apple Music subscription, at best maybe with $2 extra. it doesn’t look like enough on its own, unless you get the entire iTunes movie and TV show catalogue as well, which is unlikely.

22. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

23. iConcept macrumors member

iConcept

I'd have agreed with you if I hadn't seen The Newsroom. I think this show could be pretty gripping.

24. trip1ex macrumors 68000

25. ipponrg macrumors 68000

Disney has Fox and ABC. Content wise, Disney is very much ahead of Apple TV+ and arguably HBO.