Apple store fun

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gleadr, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

Ok so yesterday i went to the apple store and asked one of the employees about the new white macbook with the updated specs, and they looked at me like I was crazy!! Then the person went on and told me that there was not a 2.0 GHz white macbook currently being produced and that i was wasting his time!! NEVER have I gone to an apple store and had someone be so rude to me. Then i go over to the nearest mac (a macbook pro) and i bring up the apple website and go to the macbook page and have the guy come over and look at the white macbook specs. Then the guy talks into some headset and 3 people come out from the back of the store and look at the web page.

The guy told me that they were checking to see if that was a mistake. Then one of the employees told me that it wasn't a mistake (i already knew that) and then told me that they wouldn't be getting a shipment of the "newer" white macbook until next week.

Then the guy I originally talked to just walked away to the back of the store. I just thought it was hilarious that the guy at the apple store would fight with me about this. What do you guys think about this???

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Most retail drones, be they Apple employees or the Freak Squad, are idiots.

Only a select few have the true credentials to be where they are.

Common occurrence everywhere.

3. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

That's kind of funny but I guess not too surprising. I don't know about Apple stores specifically, but I've worked retail before and sometimes the lack of communication between companies and employees is ASTOUNDING!

The rudeness, though, is ridiculous. I've heard similar stories from other people about Apple stores. Luckily, the one I go to (the only one in my state) tends to be pretty good about customer service.

4. hsleiman macrumors regular

Typical. I love apple but in my experience at the Pittsburgh area Apple stores most of their employees are pretentious pricks who can't stand it when their infallible knowledge of all things Apple can be called into question by mere consumers like you and I. That guy should have at least apologized to you.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the way you tell a story is hilarious, but that's another story.

Apple store employees are just as Tallest Skill has said ... drones. Most of them know nothing. That's retail for you.

6. Gleadr thread starter macrumors member

Gleadr

I am just glad that not all of them are like this guy if they were it would be like going to a bestbuy -.-

7. hexagon macrumors member

My interactions with the local Apple Store employees has for the most part been positive. Can't say the same thing for some of the Fry's Electronics employees.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

My retail experience has gone fine so far in an Apple Store. Best Buy, I have always a bad luck of getting drones as first rep. I have to ask for someone else cause I tend to get technical.:rolleyes:

9. Gleadr thread starter macrumors member

Gleadr

Yeah whenever i go to best buy no one knows what im talking about and one time the guy in the mac section was telling a lady wrong info and i took it upon myself to correct him and then the lady started asking me questions xD the best buy guy wasnt very happy but i think he should know how to do his job

10. akbc macrumors 6502

Hah, I went to an Apple store located in Toronto, inside the Fairview Mall...

I asked one of the employees in the blue shirt for the Apple World Travel Adapter kit, since I couldn't find it anywhere on the shelf... And the employee assured me that there are no such thing, and the power bar is 100 ~ 240 V and it will work anywhere in the world.

I tell him that I'm aware of it, and I just need the kit so I can physically plug-in the power adapter into the wall outlet... He then tells me to go to a dollar store somewhere and buy one of those small adapter things myself..

the store was extremely busy, so I couldn't grab a computer to show him on internet or anything. So I started describing it.. but he was "500% sure" that it does not exist.

Then I got frustrated with him, and found this guy with a notepad and looking like he is doing inventory checks, (he was wearing a black shirt unlike any other employees) and asked him.

He immediately goes to the power section, sees that it's not in stock, and goes to the back and grabs it for me... The blue shirt guy was watching us as black shirt guy took me through.

Then the blue shirt guys goes into the back room and I never saw him again...

Ugh... And don't even get me started with the BestBuy apple reps =_=

11. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I find myself educating most of the Apple Store and Best Buy employees so I usually just keep to myself.

@ yousoldtheworld Agree with you there..... at least they're nice people at the Indiana Apple Store.

12. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If you find the OP's story amusing, you'll find my experience funny (or atleast I did anyway).

Called up Applecare and was being transferred from various different regional departments for some reason... got to an American call-centre and this is how our conversation went like:

Apple Rep: "where are you located sir"
    Me: "I am in the United Kingdom"
    Apple Rep: "Sir, where is that"
    Me (I thought he didn't hear me right): "I am in the UK, England"
    Apple Rep: "Is that in France"
    Me: "ah ha hahaha ahahah"
    [/End of call]

13. Gleadr thread starter macrumors member

Gleadr

Personally i think people at applecare are retards my ipod broke and they said they couldnt do anything because of how it broke. "It wasnt covered under the warranty" The funny thing is it actually was i took it to an apple store and they gave me a new one xD

14. akbc macrumors 6502

That's kinda funny and really sad at the same time.

He/she must be an idiot...

15. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I hate stupid Apple Employees, they are so annoying and treat me like a 5yr old.

ChrisN

16. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

hmmm

Thats why i order online, most of those guys espiecally the best buy employees that work in the apple section dont know jack crap about the products they sell.

17. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I did this in Best Buy one day, actually, except the guy wasn't too mad. I was playing on the iMacs, making music in Logic, and the guy was having a hard time explaining things, like why OS X is not susceptible to viruses, so I turned around and finished explaining to the customer. I felt kind of like a douche, but we had a conversation about Logic and then phones afterwards.

18. air-ick macrumors member

air-ick

I plan my trips to the apple store during the week. I think the full timers work weekdays or something. I've bought 2 mackbooks and an iPhone from the same guy. Very knowledgeable (Bob from the Mall of America store). I bought my mini displayadapter on the weekend from someone else - clueless - it wasn't on the shelf and i had to find it on the computer and we needed another employee to help get it brought out from the back room - so it took me and 3 employees to get it. No wonder it costs $30 - the labor?!?!

Eric

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Mall of Americas? I'm assuming Miami.... however, I can see $30 due to labor...:rolleyes:

20. air-ick macrumors member

air-ick

Minneapolis.

21. OSXRANDOMANIMAL macrumors newbie

thats in minneapolis. i applied there and never heard back, it's a shame too because i know much more about the products than anybody there.

22. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Uh oh I hope people don't think of me like this if I work there(I just applied for a job there)

23. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I do some of the same. If I see an Apple employee talking to someone and giving them advice but they get stuck, I go ahead and help them out.
    Most of the time the appreciate it.

24. walldawg84 macrumors member

I'm in agreement about some of the grunts that apple employ in some of their stores.

I had to leave my blackbook into an Apple Store last week (in Belfast) to get the palmrest/keyboard/trackpad replaced, having already been to the genius bar earlier in the week and they'd ordered the part and I had the work request form etc. ... as soon as someone approached me, i told him i was there to leave my macbook in for repair and he asked me if i had an appointment ... to which, of course, i replied no, i just needed to leave the computer with them ... he then proceeded to take me over to an iMac and open up the concierge where he proudly told me that their next available slot was on sunday (this was friday), and they'd be able to see me then!

My reply was simply and calmly, that sunday was completely unacceptable for just leaving a computer in, considering i had contacted the store to make sure they had my part in, and had the work authorisation form. He then took on a completely rude demeanour, and approached one of the genius' to see me once he's finished with another customer.

I was waiting for, literally, 20 minutes on this guy before another member of staff approached me, and I explained that I had a macbook to leave in for repair and had the work authorisation etc. and this guy ALSO tried to convince me that I needed to make an appointment to spend time with a genius to diagnose the problem ... he then proceeded to go and get another girl to try something called a 'quick drop', which apparently they'd never done before and were going to use the manual to make sure they were doing it right ...

She disappeared off, the genius guy became free, i told him EXACTLY what I'd told the other 3 and he went out back, printed off a copy of the work request, got me to sign it, i got him to sign both his copy and mine, and I was on my way. I'd been in the store for over half an hour and it took the guts of 4 minutes to sort out, after which the genius told me that any member of staff should've been able to do that for me

If i'd had to wait for half an hour because no-one else in the store could help me, then I guess I'd be ok with that, but after them blatantly not listening to me and deciding that I needed to book an appointment just to sign a piece of paper, I was pretty infuriated ... on the flip side, when they phoned me to come collect it that night, I went in, and with 5 minutes I'd signed for my laptop, checked it, and was out the door having been helped by a cheery supervisor

ok, sorry guys, rant over ... Apple e-mailed me a feedback thing ... guess who's having fun :D

25. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

That also bugs me all the time about just every company and support or retail staff.

I recall problems with software and hardware. I normally research the problem by myself and only if I really can not find the info I call/email the support. And as experience shows, it doesn't matter if you write every single detail what you already have done and tried. You can even specify where exactly the problem must be. And you always just get the standard repies like deinstalling, restarting whatever. That's dumb, I mean that's the first time you would do having the problem, not?

And I include all that info and still I have the feeling they're only reading the title. Once I had to go through 3 or 4 different support people, and 8 emails. 7 emails were the same dumb stuff as usual and the last person with the last email finally found the solution.

If they don't have any clue, then they just should tell me that instead of wasting my time.

I'm not sure, do they think everyone is an idiot? But don't see that they are the idiots themselves?

And never buy hardware because a sailsperson says so. Research the thing in the internet before because they mostly don't have any knowledge of what they really sell. And than it's overpriced. Thanks God that there are hardware stores with geeks who know all the stuff.