Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quietly listed the MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter as discontinued on the Apple Online Store in the United States and Canada this week. The converter is required to charge a MagSafe 2-equipped MacBook Air or MacBook Pro when the notebook is connected to a Thunderbolt Display or Cinema Display. The converter still appears to have in-store availability, although for how long remains unknown.

MagSafe-to-MagSafe-2.png
Apple discontinuing the MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter would prove problematic for Thunderbolt Display and Cinema Display users. The company does include the converter in the box for the Thunderbolt Display, but not being able to purchase a replacement if you misplace one would be an issue. Given that, it is possible that Apple could have larger plans in store.

It could be theorized that Apple may be planning a Thunderbolt Display refresh with MagSafe 2, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2, although that is purely speculation. Rumors have also called for a 5K Thunderbolt Display, but several Mac models would need to be updated to support that technology. We have reached out to Apple for comment and will update this story if we hear back.

(Thanks, Chris!)

Update 5:35 PM PT: The MagSafe to MagSafe 2 converter is now back in stock in the Apple Online Store.

Article Link: Apple Store Listing MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter as Discontinued

Packdude

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Show me the money

That means if you lose your converter, you have to go out and buy a new PS. That sucks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh man, I didn't even know this existed, I could have used this :(

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Strange...

Very strange. Maybe it's a mistake. Maybe they've come up with a different type of adaptor that's coming out soon.

Maybe that's what next week's event is all about! New MagSafe adaptors!!!!!

Gary

rootbear

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Bowie, MD
I have a new Macbook Pro 15" and I've thought about getting one of the Thunderbolt 27" displays. They are very expensive, but do come with what amounts to docking ports, including a magsafe power port. I would need one of these converters to use it on my magsafe 2 equipped Macbook. I would like to think that this means that a new display is coming that will include magsafe 2. I don't think my Macbook Pro could drive a retina 27", like on the new iMac, but something with the same resolution as the current display, but with a better screen (the current one is too glossy) would be nice.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Hopefully this is a sign of a revamped Thunderbolt Display coming soon to an Apple Store near you.

Macxpress

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
I guess that means no more non-Retina MacBook Pro?

Why would this discontinue mean no more non-retina MBP?

That means if you lose your converter, you have to go out and buy a new PS. That sucks.

Uh what? You do know the MacBook Pro Retina comes with its own power supply right? Why would you need to get a new PS just because you lost the adapter?

I just want a new retina thunderbolt display!

I'm sure you'll get one as soon as Thunderbolt 3 is out...of course that means you'll need to buy a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port on it. This is the reason why you don't see one now.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I think anyone who needed this would have bought it by now. I bought two for both of my old power adapters, and use them happily with my rMBP in several locations. They pretty much stay permanently on the adapter's plug. Apple was smart and made the magnet stronger on the adapter side so it always stays on the cable.

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever stock is left lasts a very long time.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
OMG!! If they update the TB displays, I am so happy. I don't care about Retina, if they are like the iMacs that will be the best!!

And what do you mean "some models".. ALL the models would have to be updated to support a 5k display. Unless they do some magically apple-only timing chips to get it to work through MST, I don't see 5k coming.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Clearly the "Spring Forward" event is about new AC adapters where the connector springs out with either MagSafe 1 or MagSafe 2 as needed. Who says Apple doesn't innovate anymore?

ant.t

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Hopefully it's being replaced. Been using one for about 3 months and it's kind of a POS (just like the reviews on the apple store said). Falls off fairly easily and the the charge/charging LED works intermittently.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
New display

A new display is long overdue. But please, please, please put a damn webcam in it.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Unless they've got so enough in the supply chain to meet demand for a few years yet, that's really evil.

In my case, it's a deterrent to buying a new MacBook - I have a LED Cinema Display at work and will need one of those when I upgrade my MacBook.

Plus, they're still selling TB displays and, although there's one included, its a very easy to lose part.

Still not discontinued in the UK store, though.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I'm confused as to what this does.

I have two old Macbooks
The last white pre unibody white Macbook
MBP 4,1

My wife has a new-ish work MBP and it takes a different power adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.