Apple Stores to open in Maryland, New York, and Tokyo

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ifoAppleStore has added four new Apple Stores to its growing list of rumored or confirmed upcoming store locations:

* Shibuya, Tokyo, 3.5 miles from the existing Tokyo store in Ginza, making it the fourth Apple Store in Japan. The other cities with Apple Stores are Nagoya and Osaka.

Annapolis, Maryland, in the Westfield Shoppingtown Mall off I-97. This would be the fourth Apple Store in Maryland, the others being in Bethesda (two) and Towson (one).

* Victor, NY, southeast of Rochester, in the Wilmorite Eastview Mall near I-90 off I-490.

* Flatiron District, New York City, the area where Broadway, 5th Avenue, and 23rd Street cross (possibly in the Flatiron Building itself), about mid-way between the SoHo store that opened in July 2002 and the upcoming midtown Manhattan store in the GM Building.

New York state currently has eight Apple Stores. The midtown Manhattan store was also reported by ifoAppleStore and discussed by AppleInsider on January 25 and again today.

andypress

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
isd_glory said:
woot! Now I no longer have to drive all the way to Buffalo from Rochester.

Eastview Mall is teh awesome.
What's so bad about buffalo? Is the eastview mall that giant mall that they just like tripled it's size?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Doesn't effect me - I still live 15 minutes away from the Apple store...

...of course, once I arrive at the mall its in, it takes 10 minutes to walk to the Apple store.

isd_glory

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2003
Rochester, NY
andypress said:
What's so bad about buffalo? Is the eastview mall that giant mall that they just like tripled it's size?
Oh, nothing is that bad about Buffalo, except the fact that it takes at least 80 minutes to get there from here. Eastview Mall is about a 15 minute drive.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I live right down the street!!! - I can WALK there.

FINALLY!!

Hopefully it is a full store not a mini-store.

:D :D :D :D :D

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
i LOVE Apple, but i'm SUCH a pessimist. i guess it comes from the "dark years" where everything they touched turned to crap. i questioned the logic of the iPod ("why is Apple getting into the music biz??"), the sell-ability of the ipod mini (NO one is going to pay that much for an iPod just b/c it's smaller!") and even the viability of Apple branded stores (i would have NEVER guessed the lines would be so long or they would ever open this many).

so it just goes to show that i make a better designer than market strategist... :confused:

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
proglife said:
NICE! I live a mile and a half from the Annapolis Mall!
***** Right! You know they are going to build a 2nd level to the entire mall? When I heard that I was wondering if Apple was going to get a space there. Too cool! No more driving to Towson or Arlington!

proglife

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Annapolis, MD
crees! said:
***** Right! You know they are going to build a 2nd level to the entire mall? When I heard that I was wondering if Apple was going to get a space there. Too cool! No more driving to Towson or Arlington!
Yeah, but that's going to make West Street and holiday traffic on 50 a REALL treat :(

I live right by Heroes, btw.

MacPhreak

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Lexington, KY
I sure would like one in the Lexington, KY area. You'd think there would be one in a city with a massive research university that buys tons of Macs. Oh, well, guess I'll have to keep driving to Cinci.

PDubNYC

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
NYC
NYC Store

Personally, I think that opening a third NYC store in the Flatiron area would be a mistake. First because it just seems unecessary with other Apple stores 30 blocks north and south. But also, it would only be about a block and a half away from TekServe, which is probably the best Apple resource in the city. This would really hurt them, and there just isn't the need.

On a side note, I think the Flatiron building itself would be too small for a typical Apple store. Maybe a mini store.

my 2 cents, anyway.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
YAY! I'm still 3 hours from the closest Apple Store. :( I know Apple wants to build stores in the most populated areas so they can make more money, but what about the rest of the US? Just look at this picture:

mikeyfern

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2004
Tekserve is on 23rd between 6th and 7th. This new Flatiron store might be an attempt to put them out of business. Tekserve is a great little store, with great people. I hope this move backfires on Apple.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Tekserve, bye-bye

Well, Tekserve was nice while is lasted and bloomed. Years ago Apple came out and picked the collective brains of Tekserve's owners for retail store ideas, then basically aped them (open floor plan, genius bars, etc.).

Tekserve's taken off in the past few years doing the storefront idea I pitched to them a while back (which I'm sure they had way, way before that), but they won't be able to stand up to the might of an Apple Store in the Flatiron.

Maybe Dick, David, and Monica can make a pirate's run up the block :)

BarfBag

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2004
AWESOME!

We need another Apple store here in Maryland. Too bad I don't live near Annapolis. I live in Baltimore. The closest Apple store is the one in Towson, which I have yet to go to.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Need one in DC proper, man. Dupont Circle would be good. Then I can head over to Tryst afterwards in Adams Morgan :)

BarfBag said:
We need another Apple store here in Maryland. Too bad I don't live near Annapolis. I live in Baltimore. The closest Apple store is the one in Towson, which I have yet to go to.

TDM21 said:
YAY! I'm still 3 hours from the closest Apple Store. :( I know Apple wants to build stores in the most populated areas so they can make more money, but what about the rest of the US? Just look at this picture:

Perhaps. Then again, living in one of these highly populated areas myself, where miles take SLIGHTLY different ammounts of time to drive, btw, I could also say... but what about the rest of us?

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/mapGallery/images/2k_night.jpg

That's a map of the population density of the united states. The two stores in my area, while only a few miles apart from eachother, have to serve something like three million people.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
Doctor Q said:
Sorry, the only upcoming Florida store they mention is another one in Orlando.
Actually, Doctor Q, there are four upcoming Florida stores - Miami Beach, Jacksonville, Palm Beach Gardens, and the Orlando store. You're right there is no store projected for SW Florida, at least not yet.

I've posted the list of upcoming stores confirmed by Apple's listings in other threads, but here it is again.

1. South Shore Plaza - Braintree, Massachusetts
  2. Century City - Los Angeles, California
  3. Lincoln Road - Miami Beach, Florida
  4. St. John's Town Center - Jacksonville, Florida
  5. Pioneer Place - Portland, Oregon
  6. The Gardens at Palm Beach - Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
  7. La Cantera - San Antonio, Texas
  8. Green Hills - Nashville, Tennessee
  9. Woodland - Grand Rapids, Michigan
  10. The Woodlands - Houston, Texas
  11. Gateway Mall - Salt Lake City, Utah
  12. Yorkdale - Toronto, Canada