Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Apple's piss-poor quality of software design since he took over would be reason enough for him to be removed. The stagnant nature of the hardware design would be reason #2.

A matter of opinion, without getting into the 'iOS 7 is ****' stuff, the general consensus is that Ive's and iOS's new direction is positive. iOS 7 always was going to have teething problems, it's not easy to completely rewrite a design language for an OS. Personally I think the new direction software is great.

As for hardware, seriously you think there are design problems? The hardware designs Apple are creating is absolutely fantastic; yes they may be evolutionary rather than brand new every year. But still, absolutely gorgeous hardware. Absolutely no complaints here

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Could be... maybe with California's new marriage laws Tim is about to get hitched and retire on his millions? Or maybe Sir Jony wants to return to his homeland where he has a better chance of his title being recognized?

Read the biography. He has a wife and kids already.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
So true: there are better looking phones out there. The Mac Pro is almost indistinguishable from the previous design. Ive's whole design ethic has been to never add anything that wasn't needed and to try to take away from what you have if it becomes redundant or open to reduction.

Every product he has designed has been honed and refined over a long period of time. The reason the MBP are just jaw droppingly beautiful compared to other laptops is that it is a 10+ year old design that is being constantly refined.

If you like knobs, curves and bumps on a design because they look cool, then Apple was never for you!!!

EDIT: Apparently I can't read... Sorry! :)

Please tell me you are joking

Attachments

• MacPro2013_35781456_27_610x436.jpg
    MacPro2013_35781456_27_610x436.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Maybe they're updating the whole page to add Angela Ahrendts and Jony's profile needs to be moved along temporarily?

Hopefully yes, seems like a reasonable explanation and to be true his picture was a bit odd, compared to the others smiling.

The small thumbnail image used previously in the Executive Profiles page is still available at:

http://images.apple.com/pr/bios/images/ive_thumb20110204.jpg

Only the HTML element at leadership page seems to be missing.

One would assume that they probably would have removed images associated with page too if this was intentional; also this thumbnail is not used in full profile page that is still available.

Thinking you are right. They probably added her and commented her out, Perhaps went too far and commented him out as well? If so, it will be corrected today.

Maybe Ive decided that four rows of pictures (with only one in the fourth row) on the Apple leadership page offended his sense of design and demanded to be removed.

Seriously, though, while I've been very impressed with his influence on hardware, I don't think that iOS 7 was a huge step forward, and in some cases is inferior to iOS 6 from a design perspective. However, I wouldn't be happy to see Ive leave completely. I guess we'll know more later today when we find out what's Cooking.

When I looked at the cached page, I thought the same thing. One lonely one at the bottom.

As far a iOS 7, I love the design. The biggest thing I like is the relative resolution independent nature of it. The 2013 changes/releases were not "final" products, so to speak. They were the next evolutionary step for the future. The "foundation" for the future. Go to any construction site and look at just the foundations or steel beam structures. Not impressive on their own. Only if you have the vision to see what will take shape around it. Not everyone can see that, but if Apple and Ive have proved anything over the years, it is that they can see the future of where they are going, and how to shape it in stages to most smoothly get there.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
This Apple cult thing can get ridiculous... stop speculating! nobody knows the reason... but most importantly, who cares! even in the far fetched case he got canned, which I seriously doubt since it'd be a PR nightmare for Apple (thanks again to the sentimental fan base), it's not like Ive has the world monopoly on design... and, in case you haven't noticed, it's also not as anyone there is/was infallible....

It's just phones, tablets, computers and a bunch of code lines, people... And they make them to make money. It's just a business, and everything they do has to do with money. As important as they are for lots of us as everyday work/play tools, they're just that: tools. And thank god, Apple isn't the only one making them. At the speed things develop, we'll have new, different, more useful tools in the near future, which possibly won't even involve Apple or any of the actual shops.

Relax!

If you really want to worry about something important, worry about global warming, global income inequality, money in politics, drone warfare, cyberspying.... anything other than a picture missing on a corporate website!

In other news, someone moved a chair where Steve Jobs sit once... :eek:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Maybe they're updating the whole page to add Angela Ahrendts and Jony's profile needs to be moved along temporarily?

no one would do that on a page that is live though. you change it in the private work space area first before "go live". Content Management Rule #1 ;)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Some of the comments on here are incredible. People feeling sick to their stomach? Stop being so dramatic.
If you have a substantial amount of your life savings invested in Apple, it's understandable.

Anyway, who is this person who monitors obscure Apple web pages for changes in the middle of the night?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that's all I can say. I think he represented all that is good about apple, I'd hate to see him go :(

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I really hope this wasn't the fallout from a heated "aluminum"-or-"aluminium" debate. We all knew that was going to be trouble one day.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
This really is Oh Crap! :eek: Moment.

Imagine if Samsung hired him for a boat load of money.

That would suck, but I am not sure that when you get to the level he is at, professionally and financially, that you could be wooed directly to one of your top competitors. He wasn't some hired gun at Apple, he helped make and shape who they are. It is in his blood. His next chapter will be much less ambitious.

Think George Lucas selling Lucasfilm to do artsy films.

espressoroast

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Amsterdam
Maybe the page itself is getting an iOS7 style makeover and according to the same principles, the design(er) has disappeared in order to defer to the content. :cool:

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
If he goes to another company for what ever reason, apple is screwed. I bet you he is the only one still in the company wanting to keep it the same or simular but keep it modern.bthe rest just care about money while he just wants beatiful products and any company in the world will pay millions for one design off him!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ive is still on the UK website http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/bios/

I think that was the case with Bob Mansfield too, he was removed from the US site first. If Ive was leaving the company (either his choice or being let go) you'd think Apple would announce it before removing his photo. But they made no formal announcement of Bob Mansfield's new role after they took his photo down.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
This would truly be terrible news. I must be one of the few people that actually like iOS7 (it kept me from switching to Android). If he really is leaving, I think Apple will have lost most of it's heart and soul.

I hear the Samsung S5 is coming out. Might be time to jump ship.

If he's really leaving, it would makes sense to announce something like this today - The stock market is closed for Presidents' Day.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
It has been reported his profile will be back up on exec page soon, there is work being done on the page. I expect preparing to add new staff appointments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.