Apple Taking Heat for Switching to Custom Screws on iPhone 4 and Portables

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 20, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Kyle Wiens of repair site iFixit published a blog post today outlining Apple's increasing usage of custom "pentalobular" screws on the iPhone and other devices, with the company presumably making the shift in order to make it more difficult for users to open up their devices for repair or modification purposes.
    Wiens notes that there "isn't a single reputable supplier" offering the screwdrivers used by Apple technicians to handle the pentalobular screws.

[​IMG]

Apple has used the pentalobular screws in iPhone 4s sold in some international markets since the device's release, although iPhone 4s sold in the U.S. have for most of the device's history used standard Phillips screws more accessible to users. But numerous reports have surfaced from users who have taken their iPhones in for service only to discover that Apple has replaced their Phillips screws with the new pentalobular ones.

In order to assist customers interested in opening up their iPhone 4s, iFixit is offering an "iPhone 4 Liberation Kit" priced at $9.95, containing a screwdriver that will fit the new pentalobular screws (although not an exact fit), two replacement Phillips screws, and a regular #00 Phillips screwdriver.

Article Link: Apple Taking Heat for Switching to Custom Screws on iPhone 4 and Portables

2. 147798, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011

147798 Suspended

And this is really lame! If you can't get the appropriate driver, then you should stay out of the case!

3. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    This does seem like a bad move by Apple. Then again, I can't recall the last time I've needed to open an iDevise.

A MacBook on the other hand...

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I guess it doesn't really matter on the iPhone 4 because you can't replace the screen yourself anyways but there are people who replace their batteries. Also, that would suck if they do it on the Mac. Say you have a broken water damaged MBP and you have nothing to lose while opening it up ... well now you can't.

I'm sure people are going to start making screw drivers for this screw if Apple continues with this.

5. Ilpo Hokkanen macrumors newbie

Apples own custom screws

Why not just make the end of the screw apple shaped ? :)

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Waiting for people to start defending this move. I mean, it's one thing to ship ALL phones with these screws but quite another to replace regular screws with these in customers phones. I would be pissed.

7. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe that people are having a hard time with these screws due to lack of tools... manufacturing an appropriate screwdriver shouldn't exactly be a challenge, I mean really, this is a mass produced basic fabrication part that's not complicated at all...

8. macus3r macrumors regular

This prevents a lot of illegal/unauthorized repairs from happening. It also ensures users are going to the retail stores or authorized repair centers for repair.

For each and every iPhone manufactured, i'm sure apple wants to keep a running record of all and any repairs... illegal repairs do not add to a manufactured unit's service history.

apple wants to build a flawless device. when other people are servicing the product w/o providing the manufacturer a diagnosis and repair history, apple loses this vital information. This information is extremely valuable for any kind of manufacturer.

9. grapemac macrumors regular

Yeah, those screws have been used in the UK marketing photos since the phone was announced. I always thought they were quite pretty myself. I'd just assumed Apple had used them for aesthetics.

10. geko29 macrumors 6502

Now that I look, the replacement iP4 I got back in november has these pentalobular screws, whereas my original one had the Philips.

11. Thunderhawks Suspended

Shame on them?

What business is it of anybody to tell Apple what to do?

They don't want people to open their stuff.

For the few technically inclined this is not a problem, (we'll get in there).

For the rest of all the users it's a non issue.

12. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

13. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

14. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I think they look kinda cool. I'd rather they be torx, as I have those tools, but no big deal to pick something up if you needed it.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple can do what they please on the device before it gets to my hands. If they want to change something when repairing it, then they have to ask me first before they do it.

That's the point the video makes. The silent changing of the screws without telling people.

16. inket macrumors regular

inket

"Boohoo, Apple is bad! Why don't you go ahead and buy our $10 screwdriver it'll fix all your problems !"

You guys realize they're trying to make a story out of nothing just to sell their "Liberation Kit" right ?

17. shen macrumors 6502

thank god! I know i need to open my phone, 7 maybe 8 times a day average. Mostly to replace the battery and reset it after bad jail breaks.....

this is about as important as DRM. the people who want to get past it usually can, the people who can't, don't know about it, don't care, and likely shouldn't....

18. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

19. tagy macrumors regular

illegal repair? what law is being broken?

This is a non-story really, anyone can have a tool machined to fit any screw head.

20. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Jesus you sound like a walking PR representative. I love Apple too guys, but there is some serious brainwashing going on around here.

21. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

I'm confused:

Pentalobe screw drivers aren't available?

Erm. . . you can buy them on that very site! You can buy them in hardware stores :D:D:D:D

Anti Apple Story Fail.

22. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Give it two days and there will be a $2 screwdriver on the market that will work. I don't really care because I never had the need to open an iPhone up, and by the time I do, these things will be easy enough to find.

23. Journojulz macrumors 65816

Journojulz

Hmmm. One group of uppity geeks complaining about other geeks being uppity - and both making extra cash out of it. Meh.

24. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I think the point is: When my phone is out of warranty, I would like the option to replace a part myself, instead of chuck it in the trash and run to the Apple store to buy a new phone.

25. Tones2 macrumors 65816

"Not an exact fit". Jeez. How hard would it be be to design a screwdriver that fit the shape exactly when you have the actual hole dimensions and pattern right in front of you?

Tony