Apple Testing Augmented Reality 'Smart Glasses' That Connect to iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2016.

1. jtrenthacker macrumors regular

If they can make them look like Ray-Bans or some other classic, timeless design, fine. Anything else, no thanks.

2. irevolt macrumors newbie

irevolt

--- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2016 ---
    Virtual reality will be larger than augmented reality. People need an escape from this horrible reality, they don't need metrics confirming how miserable they truly are.

3. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

I would like Apple to develop an Amazon Echo/Google Home competitor. Google Glass failed for a reason

4. Gusjasso macrumors member

Wow, it could be!

5. deany, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Google Home
    Where do I sign?

"Google Glass failed for a reason"
    #CreepyForFemales

6. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

I think it would be a mistake to pour heavy resources into the Mac. Just look at PC/Mac sales over the past 4 to 5 years and it doesn't make any business sense. It's all about smartphones and tablets and Apple should try to sunset the Mac as quickly as possible by cannibalizing it with the iPad. The hardware is almost there but the software needs to be beefed up. If they do it right, the iPad can be better than the Mac ever was as a content creation tool. It won't be for everyone, but it'll address a far larger market, just like every previous computing paradigm shift.

7. jtoepel macrumors newbie

8. msh macrumors 6502

9. Wipeout macrumors member

Come on Apple. iGlasses will only get you punched in the i. Leave this techno-abortion deeply buried. Fix your pro lineup and concentrate on bringing your existing wearable up to a justifiable capability. :apple: Watch = o_O

10. elmaco, Nov 14, 2016

elmaco macrumors 6502

No, people like to interact with the world around them.

Just see how popular social networks are. If you like, you can view it as augmented reality. You can keep track of hundreds of people, have a library of your photos, document what you have done, see what others are up to, you can create events or follow topics. This would be much harder without computer assistance.

Same will be true with augmented reality glasses, but they will help you in your everyday life.

If you leave home without the wallet, you will get a notification. You will not need to remember PIN number because it will popup when you see the keypad. When you are at a bus station, you will see how many minute you need to wait. You will be able to select music by a few hand gestures. You will see direction when you drive. You will see your heart rate and average speed when your run. If you look at a product in a store or a menu at a restaurant you will see user ratings. When you eat, it will approximate the number of calories on your plate. It will calculate tip or break out subtotals if you want to split a tab etc etc. etc. I could go on for hours.

This will change everything. People will wonder how they could ever have lived without them.

No, Apple should not waste engineering resources copying inferior products.

it's much better to use to the smart phone or iGlasses which you carry with you all the time.

11. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

the next smart move, I can already hear Jony proclaim "Luxottica is f****d"
    seeing the Apple watch was such a runaway success
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/26/technology/smartwatch-sales-apple/
    How'd that work out for "The Lawnmower Man".

Too much tech is part of this horrible reality. Go for a walk in the woods. It's free and is nature's true reality.

12. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I hope it comes with a plastic nose and moustache.

13. deany macrumors 68030

deany

I often forget my wallet now, but my :apple:watch 'saves the day'
    apple should be pushing apple pay more instead of silly, creepy take photos / videos glasses that freek everyone out.

14. jerryk macrumors 601

I find this very exciting. AR is going to be a huge technology. Imagine the ability to dive your car with a HUD in your glasses connected to the car's sensors. You would be able to detect a car to your left or right without turning your head, or detect a child about to step out in front of you that was hidden by another car.

The best thing about Apple doing this, is that they have the design skills to make it stylish and acceptable to customers.

15. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

I have visited the future.....

Version 1 is a $1000+ useless iPhone accessory. Of course except a new standard of IO to charge it. There is all sorts of "fashioned frames", costing hundreds, but luckily eBay will sell knock offs for $5. Some brands will have a applet gimmick that you dont get on the base model. Siri will default to the phone for pretty much anything other than weather and setting an alarm. The AR is a poorly implemented gimmick (That only fully works in SF). How do I know this?

I lied I didnt go to the future, just plotting the current trend of apples current trend of overpriced mediocracy.

16. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Have you used an Apple Watch ? It's an iPhone accessory...it's not replacing the iPhone . The iPhone will always be the main unit , the others accessories

17. roksraka macrumors member

I can't imagine wearing what is probably a cumbersome and impractical accessory, just so I could use it once every 3 hours by muttering a few words to it.... twice, of course, because Siri

18. brianvictor7 macrumors 65816

brianvictor7

Hmm. Makes me wonder if Apple will rebrand the iPhone as Apple Phone for its 10th anniversary.

19. roksraka macrumors member

I can't imagine wearing what is probably a cumbersome and impractical accessory, just so I could use it once every 3 hours by muttering a few words to it.... twice, of course, because Siri

20. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Too late:

SHOT ON AN iPHONE

http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/14/dani-mathers-gym-pic-photo-police-report/

The world has left you behind. You're being photographed everyday all the time without knowing it. You should probably avoid going outside into public spaces at all. Millineals embrace being photographed. Privacy is one thing, but no one can reasonably have the expectaction of privacy in public, and the next generation is being raised with this sensibility. There's nothing creepy about a camera in public to them.

21. deany macrumors 68030

deany

New products!! perhaps apple should get their quality right first on existing products
    (2nd iPhone cable and colleagues have same problem).
    Cost iPhone 6 £699.00 25 months ago shame on you apple I can get a knock off cable 'braided' for a fraction of the cost of a 'genuine' flawed apple cable.

IMG_0754.JPG

22. Sandybox macrumors regular

Cook and Ive have been wearing the prototypes for years, thats why they are so out of touch with reality when it comes to product development and innovation. Their teams show them crap and they see wow!

23. deany, Nov 14, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

Are you patronising in real life or only when hiding in front of a computer screen?

Get some sleep, you have school in the morning.

To repeat myself:

"So is you stood in a crowded city centre on a Saturday afternoon and everytime a girl went by you held up and moved your iPhone towards her for all to see, you dont think people would find that a tad disturbing?"

24. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Lots of folks here are getting excited and/or outraged that Apple is making this as an imminent next product and it'll be horrible, plus they're doing this instead of Macs. Except Apple has all sorts of research projects going on. They probably have a refrigi-toaster in the labs. That doesn't mean they'll ever release it. Someone finds out "Apple is working on a refrigi-toaster", and people equate "is working on" with "definitely the next big product", either because they don't understand how Apple does things, or they're trying to get page views or investor attention or maybe just notoriety. So, are they working on smart glasses? Sure, probably, along with a lot of other research projects. Are Apple Stores going to be turning into Lenscrafters in six months? Highly unlikely.

That said, yeah, I'm sure they're working on more new Macs, but they've done a big disservice to their Mac customers over the last couple years, probably waiting for the conditions to be "just right" (available CPUs and chipsets and such), but while they were waiting for perfect, they hurt their loyal customers. They really ought to have released decent improvements over the past few years, even if it meant making machines that weren't quite everything Apple wanted. The new MacBook Pros look good, but could have been better, and I don't think anybody outside of Apple had "thinner" anywhere on their top ten list of desired improvements (I would have much preferred to spend those 3mm on keeping the older keyboard).