Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the course of the last few months, Apple has been experimenting with different camera bump designs for the standard iPhone 16 models. We outlined three of Apple's prototype designs back in December, but now Apple has shifted focus once again.

iPhone-16-Camera-Lozenge-2-Colors.jpg

Apple's latest prototype features a vertical camera arrangement with a pill-shaped raised surface, and we've created a series of mockups based on internal designs to help readers visualize the change.

The pill-shaped camera bump features two separate camera rings for the Wide and Ultrawide cameras, adopting some of the stylistic cues from earlier prototype designs. A vertical camera arrangement has remained consistent throughout the prototyping process, and Apple has not changed the position of the flash or the camera lenses with this latest update.

iPhone-16-Camera-Lozenge-2-Perspective.jpg

Our findings align with schematics recently shared by Majin Bu on social media website X. Bu's leaked images also feature the same updated design.

The latest camera look that Apple is experimenting with draws inspiration from older iPhone models, such as the iPhone X. The iPhone X also had a pill-shaped camera with a slim bump design. While Apple used a vertical camera for the iPhone 12 as well, it had a wider square bump that also housed the flash and microphone.

With the vertical camera layout, we are expecting Apple to bring Spatial Video recording to the base model iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus models. Right now, the iPhone 15 models have a diagonal camera arrangement and are not able to capture spatial video, a feature that is so far limited to the iPhone 15 Pro models and the Vision Pro headset itself.

Apart from the updated camera bump design, more recent iPhone 16 prototypes include slight modifications to the Action Button and Capture Button, as we reported previously. The latest prototype units feature a smaller Action Button, akin to the one used on iPhone 15 Pro, along with a pressure-sensitive Capture Button that sits flush with the frame of the device. While the camera bump design is largely a cosmetic update affecting the glass backplate, the change to the Action Button during the prototyping phase is more significant. Apple's updates suggest that it has scrapped its initial idea of bringing a capacitive Action Button to the iPhone 16 range.

Note that what we've shared here is sourced from pre-production information, and it may not ultimately reflect the design of the final mass-production units that are released this fall. As we've seen with previous iPhone models, Apple creates multiple designs and hardware configurations as part of the development process, and the iPhone 16 range is no exception. More tangible information will come to light as the devices move closer to the EVT (Engineering Validation Testing) phase of development.

For additional details on what to expect, check out our dedicated rumor roundup pages for iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro.

Article Link: Apple Testing Slim Camera Bump Design for Base Model iPhone 16

fromgophonetoiphone

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
it’s 2024 and we can’t have our cameras on our phones housed in the body of the phone

add the body height to house it you ding dongs!
It's obvious for any photographer. A smaller camera is never better. You want the largest possible sensor, lens, etc. I don't get this obsession. Go back to iPhone 5-sized small cameras if you want and continue to get outshot by Pixel phones if you want no camera bump.

Last edited:

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
It's obvious for any photographer. A smaller camera is never better. You want the largest possible sensor, lens, etc. I don't get this obsession
If you’re a photographer, I have a question. How good is spatial video shot from two disparate cameras like this? Won’t there always be a slight mismatch between left and right?

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I don't really care about the camera bump as I always use a case that lets my phone lay flat on it's back...even though I routinely lay my phone face down.. 🤔

That said, I'd rather have a pill than a stove-top. The iPhone cameras don't do much for me anyway.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
but now Apple has shifted focus once again.

This strikes me as silly.

It is Feb'24. If the iPhone 16 is going to be for sale in Oct'24, that means Apple's contractors will start producing the phones (at least the sub-units) in Aug'24. That is only 6 months away.

At this point in Feb'24 the design is done. Field testing will expose things that need to correct some design issues - yes, for sure. But Apple already knows what the iPhone 16 is going to be.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
How about figurine out how to get rid off or at least decrease the camera bump across the entire lineup? Never been a fan of having protruding camera lenses. The phones never lie flat and protruding camera lenses increase the chance of breakage.
Google's solution with the Pixel line of a camera bar running across the back of the phone is a surprisingly elegant solution; the phone doesn't lay flat but it's at least evenly propped up on one end while laying flat so it doesn't rock.

Camera optics are unfortunately hard to minimize if you want good image quality; the laws of physics are fickle.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
How about figurine out how to get rid off or at least decrease the camera bump across the entire lineup? Never been a fan of having protruding camera lenses. The phones never lie flat and protruding camera lenses increase the chance of breakage.
The size of the lens is why we have the camera improvements we’ve gotten

Actual camera sensor technology is moving at a snail’s pace these days, if you made the camera/lens the size of the one on the iPhone 6s, the image quality wouldn’t be that much better than a 6s

They need the bigger lens for a bigger aperture for a bigger sensor. Better cameras sell phones, as long as they still fit in people’s pockets/bags

Edit-also AI HDR/multiple exposures has helped, and is super impressive, but they still look a little off to me compared to single exposure photography from an actual camera

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Finally they work on thinning out that nasty tumor on the back. Ever since the 6, I hated the back of the phone not being flush. I prefer a thicker phone that doesnt wobble on the table as i type. Im suprised no one has created a MagSafe BackPlate to just magnetically attach to the back of the phone to make that nasty bump flush. If my original iPhone SE got a decent battery life and software updates... Still the best iPhone design IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.