Apple to Accept WWDC Scholarship Applications March 27, Lodging Now Included

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Each year, Apple offers free WWDC scholarships to students and STEM organization members who don't have the funds to attend the company's developer conference.

For 2017, Apple will begin accepting scholarship submissions on March 27, as is outlined on an updated scholarship website Apple shared today. Submissions will be accepted from March 27 at 10:00 a.m. until April 2 at 5:00 p.m. Winning applicants will be notified of their status on Friday, April 21.

[​IMG]

Scholarships traditionally offer free tickets to WWDC, a huge benefit as a ticket is normally priced at $1,599. Flights and accommodations are not typically included, but starting this year, Apple is providing free lodging.

WWDC scholarship applicants must be at least 13 years old, registered as an Apple developer, and enrolled in a part-time or full-time course of study. Members and alumni of a STEM organization are also eligible.

Apple instructs prospective scholarship attendees to share a visually interactive scene created in Swift Playgrounds that can be experienced in three minutes. Swift Playgrounds for iPad or Xcode on macOS must be used, and Apple will judge applications on technical accomplishment, creativity of ideas, and the content of written responses.

Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference will take place from June 5 to June 9 at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, California. It is the first WWDC that hasn't been held in San Francisco since 2003.

While the conference is designed to allow developers to interact with Apple engineers and employees, Apple will hold a keynote event on June 5 to announce new software updates, including iOS 11 and macOS 10.13.

Article Link: Apple to Accept WWDC Scholarship Applications March 27, Lodging Now Included

2. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Smart of them to include lodging, in the bay area someone who can't cover the entrance fee is likely to have trouble with a hotel as well.

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Nice gesture, and added incentive for those interested.

4. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

5. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

What does an STEM alumni mean? I wish I was eligible for this as I would love to attend.

6. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

Not a fan of the playgrounds thing. I'd much rather submit the app I've been working on. Meh.

7. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

Winning is like winning the lottery. Classy to include lodging in one of the most expensive markets in the world. Fixed a pain point.

8. jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

Will there be an advanced emoji class? For emoji pros?

/sarc

9. AJ5790 macrumors 6502

Huh... Not much negative to say here. I guess that's why there's only 6 comments after 3 hours.

10. rizzo41999, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

11. Bigsk8r macrumors 6502

Bigsk8r

I think it would be helpful to all involved if Apple just booked the number of rooms required for the number of out of city attendees and included it in the ticket price. $1500 gets you in, $2000 gets you a room at a decent place with free breakfast for a few nights at their discounted rates.

12. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

13. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Either no benefit, or just benefit of going there being part of the experience, or benefit of getting something out of something that will be part of it all, etc. Just depends on your own take on it. That said, it's not really aimed at "regular dudes" so to say, given that it is in fact a Worldwide Developers Conference.

15. MH01 Suspended

MH01

It's like baseball World Series :p

16. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

17. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Did I miss the original announcement of WWDC2017, and a discussion around that artwork?

I must say... thought-provoking. Community? Diversity? What does it mean to you?

18. crescentmoon macrumors member

crescentmoon

Good call to have it in San Jose than SF.... too much traffic to get in....

19. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Oh makes sense. I'm not a developers just use safari, YouTube, notes, weather

20. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths

21. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

I know that. But isn't EVERYONE attending the conference who is not in media automatically an STEM alumnus or student? That is what is confusing to me, but maybe you can explain it to me.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...017-takes-place-june-5-9-in-san-jose.2032971/

These days it's almost just as bad south of SF as around SF unfortunately.

Well, it's not quite STEM alumni or students, but STEM organization members and alumni.

23. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

As a late 20-something college dropout who failed to actualize his hopes and dreams of becoming an Apple developer and is stuck in a lowly retail job-- these scholarship tickets aren't for me. :(

(Pssst... If you are reading this Tim Cook, please take pity on my poor soul and give me a ticket to freedom! Pretty please.)

24. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

Except for the people who just had to chime in with some lame overused emoji comments. :rolleyes: