Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Just about the time my iMac turns 7yrs. Looking forward to. But this time i'm thinking of splitting my computer into Macbook and Apple monitor instead of all-in-one. Hope that options too get available by then.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
They should start with shrinking those jeff bezels. Im using a rMB and the bezels bother me from time to time. Yes, it's stupid to complain about it but Dell achieved it (minus the webcam placement but I never use mine anyway).

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
Lucky I didn’t pull the trigger on upgrading to the new iMacs just released.

I think my current iMac will be my last. I want to move to a stand-alone display with a Mac Pro or Mac mini.

31.6” is still not much bigger than 27”. I’ve been wanting Apple to go bigger for years now. I’m hoping for a 39 inch 16:9 ratio display maybe throw in a slight curve lol, but I doubt that will come true.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Likely to see stand alone display in 2019, new iMacs in 2020. Need time to ramp up production and get good yields.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
Ye can’t see them releasing another iMac this year. Sounds like a stand alone.

Be a big kick in the teeth to those who have just updated to 2019 iMacs.

They have released newly designed products 6 months after updating them before. This was back before Apple was as big as it is now though. They used to update a lot more frequently the Mac range.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Will Apple ever have OLED iMacs or ACDs?

I don’t suspect so. I think Apple will continue to utilize LCD as much as possible until micro LED is ready and mature enough for mass production. Micro LED is still years out, but the promising affects are increased resolution, higher brightness, improved color gamut, etc.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This year? Apple updated the iMac not long ago, if they were going to do that this year wouldn't they of waited and updated the specs and this new LED display at the same time.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
I hope it comes with the 5600rpm hdd still too!

I gave you a like because I actually agree ... WITHOUT sarcasm. I like the fact that current iMacs still have a drive that has a standard SATA connection, that way I can upgrade to a MUCH less expensive SSD and get 98% of the experience of a super expensive Apple SSD and as a bonus - won't have the T2 chip locking things down.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
This is going to be an incredible display. Apple has been working on this in their Black Facility in Taiwan for a while. This has the potential to be some real innovation for once. :apple:

Reactions: akbarali.ch

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
I’m hoping for a 39 inch 16:9 ratio display maybe throw in a slight curve lol, but I doubt that will come true.

I'm hoping its wider variety that is cropping up these days. I use dual monitors in office i dont like the partition in the middle, I hope they come out with ultrawide with software to break sections of the monitor as separate monitors.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The report goes on to note that Apple is settling on mini LED technology for its wide color gamut, high contrast ratio, high dynamic range and local dimming.

Blech. Local dimming is a horrible feature in my experience. I was about to return my LG 4K TV thinking it had a defect. When watching some scenes with a mix of very light and dark parts, vertical bands of the screen would start flashing light and dark as the content of the screen moved/changed; very distracting. In some scenes, it was like the emergency lights from a police car flashing behind the screen.

Luckily I found out it was due to local dimming and turned it off. It did mean a slightly lower brightness(?) range, the blacks aren't as black as they were, but it was still worth turning off.

Maybe Apple can do a better job with the feature, by making it more subtle and/or using more, smaller dimming regions. But to me it isn't a good sign Apple is including this feature at all, it means they have to include it in order to display black well.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Typical, I ordered a fully specced 27 inch yesterday.
No kidding. After waiting 4 years for a significant upgrade, my father finally bought himself a maxed out new one last week. He was excited by he could connect two more displays into it, because his #1 need is more screen real estate. :/

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
A new iMac with a smooth redesign coming later this year? That’s gonna sting for anyone who’s just bought a spec-bump.

As I mentioned above, there's some of us who may prefer the model with the spec bump rather than a redesigned 'T2' encumbered version. Nice that there might be two different kinds of iMac designs both made in the same year. Choice is good!

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
When watching some scenes with a mix of very light and dark parts, vertical bands of the screen would start flashing light and dark as the content of the screen moved/changed; very distracting.
That is exactly why you want to use mini LED. The large banding is because your display use backlighting from the sides, and thus not able to just light up the parts of the display required to be lit. Mini LED’s are around half a mm in size and so only light up an area covering that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.