Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macadam212

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
This makes absolutely no sense. Why on earth would they pull out of a show were they get all the limelight, just to go to a show where they'll have to compete with the likes of HP, Dell, and Microsoft to get attention. IT's absolutely stupid to even suggest that Apple would do this. Apple will have a yearly show that will only be for Apple. That's the only thing that would make sense.

Don

You've missed the point.

Yes Apple has the limelight at Macworld, big deal of course they will it's all about them, but you can't really say they beat the competition and stole the show.

Stealing the limelight at CES, now that is a big deal, we know how powerful the brand is and we have seen how they pull the crowds into there stores. Seeing them pull the crowds away from the competition, has got to count for more than a crowded Macworld full of people who are already customers or partners.
Apple's becoming mainstream at the expense of others, let them steal the show and all of Microsoft's partners!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
CEA confirms Apple-related exhibits at CES 2010

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10139861-37.html?tag=mncol

CEA confirms Apple-related exhibits at CES 2010

Posted by Tom Krazit

Apple_WWDC_2008_Steve_Jobs_onstage2_Martin.jpg
(Credit: James Martin/CNET News)

CES 2010 will have several Apple-related booths to visit, but are Apple and CEO Steve Jobs really planning to attend?

The Consumer Electronics Association has confirmed plans to host a Mac-centric area at CES 2010, but Apple has still not commented on whether it plans to participate.

Jason Oxman of the CEA confirmed Saturday that the group "dedicated a special area at the 2010 CES to Apple-related CE manufacturers." That immediately sets up an alternative for companies thinking about exhibiting at Macworld 2010, which will not have Apple present for the first time in 12 years.

"We decided to create this special area based on discussions we've had with companies regarding 2010 show participation. We are pleased with the feedback we've received regarding this space," Oxman said in an e-mail.

Oxman, however, deferred all questions regarding whether Apple would participate to the company itself, which did not return calls Friday and Saturday seeking comment on reports that it will be involved. "(Apple) is a member of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) and we are delighted to have a longstanding relationship with them," he said.

Cult of Mac and AppleInsider reported Friday that Apple would indeed be present at next year's CES, calling it a "done deal." Such a move would be quite surprising given Apple's December statement that it was pulling out of Macworld 2010 because it no longer felt trade shows were an effective means of reaching its customers.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Perhaps this is a misunderstanding on the part of the "insiders" then? The above idea makes perfect sense, especially if they are assuming Macworld ends next year and I could see how it could be misinterpreted as information was relayed between parties.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Go apple!

change is good. Go for it. Have steve be the one doing the keynotes. If he can't for some reason, have Jonny Ive (the guy who is behind the designs). Phill is boring.

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
There were iPhone products at CES this year. Not from Apple, but from 3rd parties.

Apple is bringing the fight to its competitors and when you look at the iPhone, AppleTV, iPods, and who knows what other consumer products to come, it makes total sense.

It is Apple, not Apple computers. They are a consumer product and media company now. Having their own show that competes with CES just doesn't build market share like investors want.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Perhaps this is a misunderstanding on the part of the "insiders" then? The above idea makes perfect sense, especially if they are assuming Macworld ends next year and I could see how it could be misinterpreted as information was relayed between parties.

Agree that this story could be the seed of a misunderstanding, but it could also be the foundation of the "insider" story - if indeed Apple has decided to anchor the "Mac-centric" area.

Note that an "area" (or "Tech Zone") at CES can range from a half-dozen kiosks, to several hectares. The "Auto Zone" is in the North Hall - about 3.8 hectares (9.3 acres, 410K sq ft).

Other zones like the "DisplayPort" zone are tiny.

So, it all depends on the amount of interest shown by exhibitors - the "Mac Zone" could be big, or it could be a yawn. (If Apple shows, it's almost guaranteed to not be a yawn)

There were iPhone products at CES this year. Not from Apple, but from 3rd parties.

There were lots of cheap third party "bling" for Iphones and Ipods (jeweled cases, etc). Also a lot of higher end docking and speaker products.

8-13-08-ipig-speakal.jpg
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/13/speakals-ipig-speaker-system-rolls-in-the-mud-with-your-ipod/
(note that the pig's legs raise the unit for the down-firing subwoofer)

MacTraveller

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
aslong as steves there, it can only be a good thing

Steve Ballmer: "What do you mean I'm not gonna host the CES Keynote this year? Are you nuts??!! I've been doing it for several years now. And who the hell did you have in mind instead of me?" *throws a chair at someone*

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
If apple is big enough to draw their own crowd, then why would they participate in a trade show? To me, MacWorld is always overshadowed by CES; especially when they land on the same week. So, wouldn't it be smart for apple to fight back and hold their press event a week or two after the CES show is over. Make people stop talking about the Pre and the VAIO P, and start talking about the new apple X.

just my 2 cents

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
your post is based on a couple of fallacies

Steve Ballmer: "What do you mean I'm not gonna host the CES Keynote this year? ... I've been doing it for several years now."

There is no single keynote at CES.

There are at least six named keynotes - http://www.cesweb.org/sessions/keynotes.asp.​

Las Vegas– Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer gave his first keynote at CES on Wednesday, (any story on Ballmer's keynote mentions that it's his first...)

They could easily add a seventh keynote for someone in a black mock turtle from Cupertino ;)

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
I just watched the Steve Ballmer keynote at CES. Wow, that was horrible. I just lost an hour of my life I won't get back.

A couple of thoughts.

1. CES might want Apple there to actually make these keynotes better.

2. This rumor could be total bunk, because the more I watched that keynote the more I thought, CES is sooooooo UN Apple.

B1gMac

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
Did anybody watch the opening CES keynote this year? Microsoft is such an Apple wannabe. They tried to make jokes throughout it, but they fell flat. So many things about Windows 7 look similar to OSX but still fail. Their equivalent of expose is retarded. Also, they had a really weird band who performed called tripod (funny that it has the word ipod in it).

The only single cool thing I saw them showcase was how in microsoft messenger, if you type an emoticon, it updates your icon to show you emulating that emoticon.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Snow Leopard is the "vaporware" right now.

I just watched the Steve Ballmer keynote at CES. Wow, that was horrible. I just lost an hour of my life I won't get back.

Another view:

A first-time keynote address from Microsoft’s Steve Ballmer and cutting-edge product launches fueled momentum on the eve of the 2009 International CES.

Ballmer discussed the economy and noted that the challenges we face today should be viewed with optimism. Ballmer outlined three opportunities that lay ahead for the technology industry – the convergence of the PC, phone and TV; a more natural consumer interaction with devices that will incorporate speech and hand gestures and the connected experience between devices.

He announced that Windows 7 is on track to deliver the ultimate Windows experience and also announced exciting partnerships with Facebook, Verizon and Dell, which will pre-install Windows Live and Live Search on its entire consumer line of PCs.​

So many things about Windows 7 look similar to OSX but still fail.

Yes, but at least anyone can download and try Windows 7.

By the way, didn't we expect Apple to talk about 10.6 at MacWorld? Hmmm. They didn't, should we assume that project is in big trouble and is going to slip big time?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
change is good. Go for it. Have steve be the one doing the keynotes. If he can't for some reason, have Jonny Ive (the guy who is behind the designs). Phill is boring.

I thought the guy who designed and worked on iMovie 08/09 is really good at presentation. His demo with iMovie 09 was brilliant - the tone and rhythm of his voice was intriguing.

He's most like Steve in terms of speech and presentation skills.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
LOL. Ballmer = EPIC FAIL

The measure of the CEO is the performance of the corporation, not how well the CEO performs on stage.

Jobs has done a huge disservice to Apple by allowing such a personality cult to develop.

If both Jobs and Ballmer disappeared tonight and you needed to sell stock tomorrow - would you rather be holding Apple stock or Microsoft stock?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Grow up, please.

He looks like the Hunchback!

And what does any of this have to do with the topic at hand?

An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim.

Making fun of Ballmer is a really childish way of admitting that you can't address the real issues at hand.

CES is not a "Microsoft version of MacWorld", and Ballmer is not its "Lord God Jobs". Few companies exhibiting at CES are computer companies, most are in entertainment, content, or bling (accessories and the like). The number of exhibitors showing flat panel television mounts far exceeded traditional computer or software companies.

If Apple goes to CES - it's Apple shedding the last vestige of "Apple Computer" and it will be Apple fully embracing "Apple the consumer gadget company". I think that's what has many of you scared about this story. The fear that "Mac is dead - long live the Apple Gadget Company".

Enough with the childish attacks on Ballmer's appearance or his sweat glands.

.Chris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
And what does any of this have to do with the topic at hand?

Making fun of Ballmer is a really childish way of admitting that you can't address the real issues at hand.

CES is not a "Microsoft version of MacWorld", and Ballmer is not its "Lord God Jobs". Few companies exhibiting at CES are computer companies, most are in entertainment, content, or bling (accessories and the like). The number of exhibitors showing flat panel television mounts far exceeded traditional computer or software companies.

If Apple goes to CES - it's Apple shedding the last vestige of "Apple Computer" and it will be Apple fully embracing "Apple the consumer gadget company". I think that's what has many of you scared about this story. The fear that "Mac is dead - long live the Apple Gadget Company".

Enough with the childish attacks on Ballmer's appearance or his sweat glands.

I wouldnt be talking. Your sig clearly puts down gays and lesbians. That alone, is childish.... as well as the "yada yada comment and telling us to grow up....

also apple is no longer a computer compney, as stated a few time already. Also, if you take time to do read instead of puting down gays, you'll see that i support this idea and think it will be good move....

so quit being the forum police ;)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I wouldnt be talking. Your sig clearly puts down gays and lesbians.

Excuse me? In what way?

As a gay man who married his partner of 15 years this summer, my sig is serious.

The civil rights struggle that we are in right now is real. If you don't believe in the importance of marriage equality - have you talked about it with your gay friends? Have you discussed it with someone *you* know who's directly affected? Do you think that none of your friends, colleagues or relatives are gay?

Why do you think that my sig is anti-gay?

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
A first-time keynote address from Microsoft’s Steve Ballmer and cutting-edge product launches fueled momentum on the eve of the 2009 International CES.

Ballmer discussed the economy and noted that the challenges we face today should be viewed with optimism. Ballmer outlined three opportunities that lay ahead for the technology industry – the convergence of the PC, phone and TV; a more natural consumer interaction with devices that will incorporate speech and hand gestures and the connected experience between devices.

He announced that Windows 7 is on track to deliver the ultimate Windows experience and also announced exciting partnerships with Facebook, Verizon and Dell, which will pre-install Windows Live and Live Search on its entire consumer line of PCs.

That was Ballmer's first CES keynote. He has done plenty of presentations in the past. I've seen them as well and have about the same opinion. He is not inspiring. His jokes are not funny. He's not an innovative leader. What he is is shrewd and arrogant. But my original comment about the CES keynote being bad was not about about Ballmer only.

The whole keynote was horrible. From the president of CES who was waiting for appluase, but got none. To the various MS product managers who did very sloppy demo's. The video presentations that had glam but no message.

The 12 year old girl playing a game....that band tripod....I could go on.

Watching I thought that it is also REALLY clear why Apple steals as much attention as they do. Not only do they have good products, but the show they put on is top notch. Its infotainment!:D

If CES were to become THE tradeshow, then Apple could really help out their image.....but it would have to mean the relationship with CES and Microsoft would also have to change.... So, we'll see what 2010 looks like.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
If CES were to become THE tradeshow, then Apple could really help out their image.....but it would have to mean the relationship with CES and Microsoft would also have to change.... So, we'll see what 2010 looks like.

You think that CES isn't already THE consumer electronics tradeshow??? :eek:

And what about the relationship between CES and Microsoft would need to change? What do you think that the relationship is?

As a CES attendee for the last 5 years, I see Microsoft as a wannabee that's spending a lot of money on booth space and sponsorships to get mind share. I see Samsung and Sony and Panasonic as the big guys, with Pioneer, Sharp, Toshiba, Philips and others as the second tier. The computer folks (Microsoft, Intel, HP, Asus, ...) are bit players - although some have big pockets so that their booth size is much larger than their influence.

Reread your comment, and tell me why I shouldn't dismiss it as rather arrogant and clueless? Why should CEA change its policies to court another small CE player? The ignorance here about CES is incredible....

Your post makes me think of something that a Mac-using friend once said - "Apple computers are OK, it's the Apple users that I can't stand".

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I have to agree with AidenShaw. People that think CES=Microsoft are just plain ignorant, and my guess is that they've never been the the CES. MS is a bit player at the CES.

A better analogy would have been Comdex = Microsoft (even this is a stretch), but Comdex is no more.

In addition, a lot of the stuff shown at the CES is not even available, companies are showing what is on the horizon. I remember seeing a DVD player at least 3 years before you could ever purchase one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.