Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew Essex

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2014
London
I guess I need to buy 4k HDR TV before I get too excited about this. ;) Does 4k HDR even make a big difference compared to 1080p?

For me HDR makes the biggest difference , it can actually make a bright light in a scence make you squint if watching in the dark.

tgenius

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
To me, the 4K and HDR is great, but will Apple finally pony up and include the HD Sound Formats (True HD, DTS-HD, Atmos,DTS:X)? Because I feel jipped that my 4th gen has to internally convert the audio stream because 4th gen doesn't natively support the HD sound formats. IF it does have the codecs, day one purchase.

JeremyPilcher

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2015
I would love a remote with Touch ID and app support so I could better curate content and settings for my kids, myself, and my wife.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I still regularly watch SD and only just got an HD capable TV. I won't be upgrading to 4K until I'm forced to.

Anyways, that's completely irrelevant. The real question is, will it have an actually useful remote?

The issue with the remote, for anyone who hasn't figured it out, is why the hell are there so many buttons? It has 6 dedicated buttons plus a multitouch surface which you can click. I might be mistaken, but I believe that for every freaking thing you can do on the Apple TV, there's at least 2, and in many cases 4 or more, different things you can do which will all do it.

The result is a UI that's far more complicated than necessary. Rather than distill it down to exactly what was necessary, they decided to throw in extra, redundant, buttons.

They need to look back at the iPhone. 4 buttons and a touch area, for a far more capable device. There's no need to have a Menu and a Home and a Siri button - all three can be handled with one button as it is on the iPhone. There's no need for a play/pause button - that can be handled with just the touch sensitive area.

Now we're down to 3 buttons - one fewer than the iPhone. Add in a lock button, same as the iPhone has.

Oh, and make it so you have an actual keyboard.

And now that we've arrived at it - throw out the stupid remote, just use any iOS device.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I hope there is more to ATV than just 4K.
I am hoping some way to be able to watch my library without the need of a Mac on at all times. I would love to hook up and external drive to ATV and be able to watch the contents of it.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Just for the new people that aren't familiar with hdr, I googled this easy to understand video for ya

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
But, 4K itself isn't all that impressive without the extended color gamut, so make sure whatever television you get has HDR.
More precisely, you should make sure that the TV supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
Whenever someone says they don't think HDR makes that much difference, I tend to think they haven't seen real 4K HDR vs 1080p. Old Blurays will look like a DVD compared to UHD with HDR.
In my experience (from UHD Blu-rays) HDR is really a mixed bag. Most movies today aren't made with HDR in mind (since HDR is still very rare in theaters). So they regrade the colors just for the home releases, and quite often the colors don't look natural at all, and certainly not as intended by the director. Also, crushed blacks are pretty common.

RRF985

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
If this really is true I will most likely be getting one. I've never had an Apple TV before since I always used my PS4 to do my streaming stuff but having 4K and HDR would be amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.