Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
No way this will happen! The logistics to make different colored bands are astronomical. No way the process of adding a different colored dye to rubber and selling it for $49 could be feasible for Apple.
This made me laugh a little more than it should have. Fyi, there is a valid reason for the $49 charge for the bands. Colored rubber is usually worth no more than $20, but if you call it flouroelastomer, that increases the value by 250%.;):D

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Apple should set the price of Sport Bands at $29. They would still make a lot of money but I think that price point would sell a lot more bands and get people swapping them out with their clothing selection. As it stands now I might buy a red or gray band. But if they dropped the price I would probably buy red, one of the new blue variations, gray, and perhaps a Mizzou style gold (think Livestrong yellow) if it were available. It just seems like $29 is more trivial for customization.

I think Apple could make a lot of money if they released collections available for a set period of time. They could have the standard collection which is always available and has the staple colors. But if they offered them for a limited time at a lower price, people would be more willing to pick up a band or two when they visit the Apple Store or wherever. They also really need to unveil some new styles for higher-tier bands. I think customization is going to be a big source of income for the Apple Watch line once people start collecting. Limited runs and a slightly lower price point would encourage that.

It's possible a lower price point would net Apple more revenue provided the price elasticity is there, but you also have to look at how it might impact the brand.

Keep in mind, the sport band was a $350, uniquely designed watch band for expensive Ikepods. Apple just hired that designer and made it available for 1/7th the price.

I think longer term, Apple would do well to maintain the $49 price point, especially since we're talking about fashion. It's relatively affordable but still maintains their status as an affordable luxury brand.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Apple should set the price of Sport Bands at $29. They would still make a lot of money but I think that price point would sell a lot more bands and get people swapping them out with their clothing selection. As it stands now I might buy a red or gray band. But if they dropped the price I would probably buy red, one of the new blue variations, gray, and perhaps a Mizzou style gold (think Livestrong yellow) if it were available. It just seems like $29 is more trivial for customization.

I think Apple could make a lot of money if they released collections available for a set period of time. They could have the standard collection which is always available and has the staple colors. But if they offered them for a limited time at a lower price, people would be more willing to pick up a band or two when they visit the Apple Store or wherever. They also really need to unveil some new styles for higher-tier bands. I think customization is going to be a big source of income for the Apple Watch line once people start collecting. Limited runs and a slightly lower price point would encourage that.

My girlfriend went to Mizzou, she would be rocking the black and gold... "MIZ-ZOU-RAH! Go Tigers!"

WRX-SRQ

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Tallahassee
You know what would be nice, metal bands that are Space Gray. I'm tired of all the bands with metal clasps (i.e. classic buckle, Milanese loop, metal link) all supporting the polished steel watch. We all know the most popular selling model was the Space Gray sport, so how about supporting it with other bands instead of just sport bands.

Reactions: jbachandouris

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
All the new bands in the world will not change the fact that the watch itself is just too bulky and thick. In the case of a watch thinner is better.

Funny....my Apple Watch is the smallest watch I own. In a way, I wish they made a bigger one. Each to their own I suppose.

Put my name down for a red sport band and maybe a dark blue one too. I have been amazed at how comfortable the sport band is, but would like to add some colour without going to the current fluorescent options.

Cosmoknot

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
All the new bands in the world will not change the fact that the watch itself is just too bulky and thick. In the case of a watch thinner is better.

It's thinner than the Seiko 5 (a relatively small men's watch) that was my daily driver for a couple of years.

Maybe go try one on instead of parroting all the ignorant FUD from before the Watch was even released?

mariana888

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
UK
I'm only five feet tall and have tiny noodle arms and it's fine on me. People hardly notice my apple watch unless I'm wearing one of my neon bright sport bands. It looks thinner when it's actually on a wrist.

I have the traditional leather strap and the sport strap. With the Sports it feels even thinner, I agree it looks thinner when it's on.

Reactions: 5105973

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
I really wished Apple would offer the leather armbands also in vegan leather versions. So similar closure and styles like classic and modern buckle, just cruelty free. No offense, the closures and styles of these look nice, just don't wanna have a dead animal on my wrist… ;)

With more and more people choosing a vegan lifestyle, this should be a no-brainer for Apple's marketing actually…

Reactions: big-ted

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I guess I am the only person looking for an OD green band. I like the navy idea, I bought a third party navy nato strap thats pretty solid, but I still like the rubber band feel a touch better.

What about a volume discount. 10 dollars off for each additional. 50 for one, 90 for two, 120 for 3.....

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
I really wished Apple would offer the leather armbands also in vegan leather versions. So similar closure and styles like classic and modern buckle, just cruelty free. No offense, the closures and styles of these look nice, just don't wanna have a dead animal on my wrist… ;)

With more and more people choosing a vegan lifestyle, this should be a no-brainer for Apple's marketing actually…

I would love a band made of real bacon. As popular as bacon fests have become, this should be a no-brainer for Apple maketing actually...nothing says American like a hunk of pork meat hanging on your wrist.

How awesome would it be to have an alert that says time to stand up and eat dead pig meat and you could nibble on your watch strap?

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I do hope they realise that dropping the price would most likely increase demand for them, they are currently far too expensive for what they are actually do. $20-30 would be much more realistic and reasonable cost.
Would like a black and also acted strap.

It probably wouldn't. If someone is not buying the watch (which already cost them $350 and up), they're also not buying watch bands for it.

Even for someone cash strapped, a $50 dollar band is not big amount for a fashion item.
Many of my friends own 20+ pairs of shoes and they're paid a lot more than $50 for them and they're far from wealthy... I'm sure they probably cost 1/5 to 1/10 of that they paid to actually make.

There is pricing curve that exist were added volume doesn't offset the lost profit from the lower price. Apple is a master of this curve. Keeping margins up enables them to always offer the best product, which is good for the brand, and is also good for the bottom line.

Companies which have cut their margins almost always regret it. Accessories are very rarely low margin items.

If someone wants to buy some cheap crap, they can buy it from someone else; Apple does allow that...

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I'm hoping for red and blue.

However, is anyone else having issues with their sport bands getting stains, stretching, or other general quality issues?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I would love a band made of real bacon. As popular as bacon fests have become, this should be a no-brainer for Apple maketing actually...nothing says American like a hunk of pork meat hanging on your wrist.

How awesome would it be to have an alert that says time to stand up and eat dead pig meat and you could nibble on your watch strap?

Peppercorn or maple-hickory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.