Apple to Debut New Apple Watch Sport Bands at September 9 Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 2, 2015.

1. carpediemclarke macrumors newbie

carpediemclarke

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

3. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

This made me laugh a little more than it should have. Fyi, there is a valid reason for the $49 charge for the bands. Colored rubber is usually worth no more than $20, but if you call it flouroelastomer, that increases the value by 250%.;):D

4. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

You know you're going to be up at midnight waiting to pre-order the new watchstrap! Oh my God!

5. endlessct9a macrumors newbie

endlessct9a

You've never owned an automatic watch, eh?

6. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Milanese and black sport for me then see what else they bring out

7. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

It's possible a lower price point would net Apple more revenue provided the price elasticity is there, but you also have to look at how it might impact the brand.

Keep in mind, the sport band was a $350, uniquely designed watch band for expensive Ikepods. Apple just hired that designer and made it available for 1/7th the price.

I think longer term, Apple would do well to maintain the $49 price point, especially since we're talking about fashion. It's relatively affordable but still maintains their status as an affordable luxury brand.

8. Zirel, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Here comes the uneducated opinion guy spilling the hate.

The Apple Watch is smaller in every way, and thinner than a typical mechanical swiss watch.

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

The current coral is hardly "bright pink."

I'm waiting for red, myself.

10. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

My girlfriend went to Mizzou, she would be rocking the black and gold... "MIZ-ZOU-RAH! Go Tigers!"

11. WRX-SRQ macrumors member

WRX-SRQ

You know what would be nice, metal bands that are Space Gray. I'm tired of all the bands with metal clasps (i.e. classic buckle, Milanese loop, metal link) all supporting the polished steel watch. We all know the most popular selling model was the Space Gray sport, so how about supporting it with other bands instead of just sport bands.

12. scotttnz macrumors 6502a

Funny....my Apple Watch is the smallest watch I own. In a way, I wish they made a bigger one. Each to their own I suppose.

Put my name down for a red sport band and maybe a dark blue one too. I have been amazed at how comfortable the sport band is, but would like to add some colour without going to the current fluorescent options.

13. Cosmoknot macrumors newbie

It's thinner than the Seiko 5 (a relatively small men's watch) that was my daily driver for a couple of years.

Maybe go try one on instead of parroting all the ignorant FUD from before the Watch was even released?

14. mariana888 macrumors regular

mariana888

I have the traditional leather strap and the sport strap. With the Sports it feels even thinner, I agree it looks thinner when it's on.

15. Canubis macrumors regular

Canubis

I really wished Apple would offer the leather armbands also in vegan leather versions. So similar closure and styles like classic and modern buckle, just cruelty free. No offense, the closures and styles of these look nice, just don't wanna have a dead animal on my wrist… ;)

With more and more people choosing a vegan lifestyle, this should be a no-brainer for Apple's marketing actually…

16. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

I guess I am the only person looking for an OD green band. I like the navy idea, I bought a third party navy nato strap thats pretty solid, but I still like the rubber band feel a touch better.

What about a volume discount. 10 dollars off for each additional. 50 for one, 90 for two, 120 for 3.....

17. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

all i saw on that board was a colorful array of condoms

18. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

I would love a band made of real bacon. As popular as bacon fests have become, this should be a no-brainer for Apple maketing actually...nothing says American like a hunk of pork meat hanging on your wrist.

How awesome would it be to have an alert that says time to stand up and eat dead pig meat and you could nibble on your watch strap?

19. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

20. Keirasplace macrumors 601

So, what's it to you? Marketing didn't help the Edsel btw... You still need to sell something good for it to work.

21. Keirasplace macrumors 601

It probably wouldn't. If someone is not buying the watch (which already cost them $350 and up), they're also not buying watch bands for it.

Even for someone cash strapped, a $50 dollar band is not big amount for a fashion item.
    Many of my friends own 20+ pairs of shoes and they're paid a lot more than $50 for them and they're far from wealthy... I'm sure they probably cost 1/5 to 1/10 of that they paid to actually make.

There is pricing curve that exist were added volume doesn't offset the lost profit from the lower price. Apple is a master of this curve. Keeping margins up enables them to always offer the best product, which is good for the brand, and is also good for the bottom line.

Companies which have cut their margins almost always regret it. Accessories are very rarely low margin items.

If someone wants to buy some cheap crap, they can buy it from someone else; Apple does allow that...

22. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping for red and blue.

However, is anyone else having issues with their sport bands getting stains, stretching, or other general quality issues?

23. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

What time is it? It's a hair past a freckle.

24. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Peppercorn or maple-hickory?

25. hauntvictim macrumors 6502

hauntvictim

After not wearing anything as a watch, I thought it would be bulky. But after trying it on and then purchasing one. It just feels natural.