Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will soon dismantle and remove the iconic glass cube entrance at its Fifth Avenue Apple Store in Manhattan, New York, which is in the process of being renovated and expanded.

On March 16, Apple filed a permit for the "full removal of the glass cubical structure at the Apple Store entrance," which, according to BuildZoom, was granted on April 17. The removal of the cube will cost Apple $2 million, and according to a second source, could commence on May 9.

apple-fifth-avenue.jpg

Apple is planning to expand its Fifth Avenue store to double the size of the original location. The store is growing from 32,000 square feet to 77,000 square feet, giving Apple more space at its flagship New York location.

It is not yet clear what Apple is planning to do with the cube. It could be temporarily removed to allow for construction underneath, or the company could have bigger cube renovation plans in mind.

This will be the second time the cube has been dismantled -- it was torn down in 2011 to allow Apple to reconstruct it from larger, more seamless glass panes. Prior to 2011, the cube was made up of more than 90 glass panes, but the new cube uses just 15.

While construction is underway at the new location, Apple has temporarily relocated the store to a nearby empty storefront that formerly housed the FAO Schwarz toy store.

Apple has not announced when the new store will be complete, but rumors suggest it will have some notable improvements, including a unique area for a Beats 1 radio station that will enable live in-store Beats 1 broadcasts.

Article Link: Apple to Dismantle Iconic Glass Cube at Fifth Avenue Store

Last edited:

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Last time they rebuilt it, they reduced the number of pieces joined together. After their experience building Apple Park, I bet they could get it down to 1 piece per side and a carbon fiber roof.
[doublepost=1492632732][/doublepost]
How does the removal of the cube cost $2 million?

NYC, construction cranes, probably shutting down part of 5th avenue...

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Maybe if they are expanding the store, they will expand the cube, making it a cuboid?

Reactions: Mainyehc

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Last time they rebuilt it, they reduced the number of pieces joined together. After their experience building Apple Park, I bet they could get it down to 1 piece per side and a carbon fiber roof.
[doublepost=1492632732][/doublepost]

NYC, construction cranes, probably shutting down part of 5th avenue...
Gimme a sledgehammer, broom, and a dustpan. I'll do the job for just a half-million.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I live a block away and pass by a few times a day. They recently expanded the construction area to the edges of the street, where now there is a makeshift walk path in the street. It will be interesting to see how the new store looks from above ground. I hope the restore or change the cube and do not entirely remove it.

They definitely needed to rework the entrance/exit, as it was always a cluster mess going in and leaving down the one staircase.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
2 million? I would appraise it, gift it to the Museum of Modern Art, and take the full deduction.

THEN...

Use that money to have a custom OLED (or QLED) panel shaped as the apple logo. The panel would be dynamic, and not static like the one it replaces, displaying imagery limited only by imagination.

Reactions: Mactendo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.