Apple to Dismantle Iconic Glass Cube at Fifth Avenue Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2017.

1. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

$2 million is roughly the cost of dinner in Midtown and two tickets to Hamilton.

2. 6foot5foot Suspended

Maybe they'll make it from modular, perforated aluminium panels...

3. Sill macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who thought the cube looked better when it was the original, "busy" panel design? It seemed a lot more gem-like then. I don't diss the current look at all and I hope whatever goes up there is at least as good.

4. usarioclave macrumors 65816

They will be replacing it with a glass sphere, because curved glass is now a thing.

5. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Hahahaha That's exactly what I thought!!!

6. scir91 macrumors newbie

i asked the security guard a few weeks ago when this construction nonsense will end. he said construction should continue onwards for 2 years because it ensures job security (by contract) for the workers. if they hurry up and finish, they make less money. not officially announced but at least a few years is what we are looking at. at least from the grapevine down there.

7. Urban Joe Suspended

They ought to do a video of it being demolished by a wrecking ball crew with "Walking on Broken Glass" in the background. Use it as an iconic emblem of in innovative reinvention.

8. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

nah.. too many people would be mad.. for good reason.
    there's way cooler stuff you could do with that glass than to smash it.

and it's a chance for someone with far less cash than apple to acquire these expensive ass panes at a reduced cost or possible donation. (say, an artist.. or a school)

like, if the cube they're taking down soon won't be coming back in once the remodel is done, this glass is going to be repurposed.. not recycled.. and definitely not smashed (unless accidentally)

---
    for clarity, i realize you were speaking fun in your post and i answered you in somewhat a disagreeable tone..
    but i don't mean it like that.. i used what you said to launch into something else.. not launching at you.

9. cjboffoli97 macrumors member

One word: unions

10. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Really? How about adding something constructive. Go on explain demolition and $2 million....
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017 ---
    I was sarcastic, though at the same time lazy journalism contributes to these debates, where the facts matter little, and key words or numbers are used to bring attention to articles. Yes apple is not stupid. They will pay what they have to.

Though you are correct , it's NYC and these costs mount up fast, something I have little knowledge of .

11. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

12. imicca macrumors regular

imicca

Ask deadmau5 ;)

13. The.franster macrumors newbie

They often have to bring in huge cranes to remove it which can lead to street closures and require crowd control. Additionally they have to transport and store the panels somewhere.

14. Urban Joe Suspended

If they end up removing it I wouldn't be surprised to see it pop up somewhere else in the world or maybe even perhaps at the new Apple Campus. Apparently, glass is a top innovation priority at Apple :rolleyes:

15. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

i imagine so.
    just about every product they sell incorporates glass in the design.. none of which would be suitable for "oh.. just put any ol glass in there".. so yeah, glass is very likely a top innovation priority at apple.

if this research spills out into other fields such as architecture/living spaces then idk, i see that as a good thing.

16. citysnaps macrumors 68040

There's not much to explain. In the construction industry there is a huge difference between demolition and renovation. The $2 million is just the next phase of the Apple Store renovation, which includes taking down the cube, and is part of a large multi-segment renovation costing much more that $2 million, as evidenced by the lengthy permit history going back to October 2016. As an example, simply removing the "cube" and leaving a large hole in the ground to the Apple Store 30 feet below would not work for customers wanting to visit.

Your "I doubted you knew anything about product Tim, and I definitely know,you know nothing about construction" is a curious statement, considering the design of Apple Stores worldwide, and the stores being one of the most successful retail brands. I'm pretty sure Apple knows something about construction, and Tim Cook only needs to rely on Apple's world renown architects. Apple's new headquarters in California is a great example.

17. monkeybongo macrumors member

Damn, this was iconic architecture. I made a trip to NY, just to see the cube.

This is like replacing the Eiffel Tower to a taller, sleeker, modern one.

18. 6foot5foot Suspended

I wonder how they get up on top to clean off bird crap... what a pane.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2017 ---
    Unicorns?

19. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Sarcasm and goal post moving .... a skill it is... have a good day .

20. citysnaps macrumors 68040

Feel free to expand on your spurious claim. You asked a question, I answered directly in great detail, without sarcasm.

21. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Okay. My serious claim is that TC is like a rabbit stuck in car lights when it comes to product. And his decisions are based on porfit. Where do I get this from, the man seems Lost and without genuine product passion at keynotes, and in all public appearances deflects serious discussion about products , just vague politician type statements.

Show me a single video where TC is nailing it while discussing product in detail? Like jobs would. TC only sees $$$$$ not a product vision.

The rest is sarcasm. Though if you read my comments on this thread, that was kinda given away by me saying the contractor would be equally diverse , and Justify the $2 m ;)

22. 6foot5foot Suspended

You travelled all the way to New York JUST to see a glass box? Wow... words fail me...

23. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

millions of people come here just to see a ball with lights.
    cut the guy some slack.

-jack

24. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

You can fully expect Tim Cook to screw it up, especially if Jony is involved. It will probably be a big "egg" or something covered in pastel colors with lots of dog-ugly icons all over the walls. :D

25. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I don't understand all the complaining. The article clearly states they are removing the cube and expanding the store, not closing it!