Apple to Launch a White iPad 2?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DotComName macrumors member

2. ozred macrumors 6502

Ego inflated now?

3. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Why do people like white so much? It's a horrible color to frame a screen with as a light color tends to make colors not pop out as much (sure, some colors might look better but the thing is a computer screen doesn't keep the same colors at all times cause it's constantly changing what is on it).

On top of that, it's a very bland color. It's boring. I just don't understand why there's this big deal about white products, especially when it comes to framing monitors/displays with.

4. cvaldes macrumors 68040

No, they're not.

Here's an analysis of rumors leading up to the release of the new MacBook Pros. The majority of speculation is wrong.

However, the most ludicrous stuff you'll read is speculation by forum participants. Most of the ideas illustrate a complete ignorance of the economics of consumer electronics as well as design and manufacturing processes.

5. thelonelylimo macrumors 6502

thelonelylimo

I know this is fake because there is no FaceTime camera.. but I really hope Apple looses the home button.

6. cvaldes macrumors 68040

It's called style.

What sort of shoes are you wearing? Are they the same thing everyone else around you is wearing?

As I mentioned earlier, white is a very popular color for consumer electronics is certain parts of the world (Europe, southeast Asia). As over 60% of Apple's revenue comes from international sales, it would beneficial if they released products that international consumers would find attractive.

It's not just about you, you know.

If you want to understand the world better, it would be more effective to adopt a more global worldview, not one so USA-centric. Up to you.

7. timbck2 macrumors newbie

It will - for just a $0.99 fee :rolleyes:

8. ten-oak-druid macrumors 68000

ten-oak-druid

Its glass with some material underneath then.

9. obyte macrumors regular

Thinking that the hole cutout is for the ambient light sensor is funny. It's a camera hole. iPad 2 screen protectors also have this cutout in the same spot.

If it WAS for the ambient sensor, why do the iPad 1 protectors not have a cutout?

[​IMG]

This may be a 3rd party part but it IS based off the final iPad 2 bezel.

10. allamoureux07 macrumors member

The iPad 1 doesn't have a cutout because it is BLACK - this also goes for the BLACK iPhone 4. Notice the various websites that offer white iPhone 4 conversion kits; all have perforated cutouts for the proximity sensor.

11. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

*sigh* now we are going to have to listen to people complain about where the white iPad is just like the white iPhone :(

12. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Makes me wonder what the back of the device will look like now. Glass maybe?

13. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I don't care if it's white with black polka dots. I just want an iPad with retina.

14. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

Fake or not, I created a mockup from the image to see what it would look like compared to the existing iPad.

The corners have a tighter radius, and the overall dimensions are smaller by several mm.

Attached Files:

15. billysea macrumors regular

These rumors of 'just a crappy modest upgrade' totally kills my interest of getting one. And I have been eagerly waiting for the iPad 2 since the first one was announced. Guess I will have to wait another year. Sorry Apple but you have to work harder.

16. mbraase macrumors newbie

What I find curious and funny is all these people are saying that they are waiting for iteration of the iPad and how Apple has dropped the ball but NO ONE knows yet what is going to be in the new iPad. Making a decision about buying a product and/or flaming a company for not including certain features in a product, ALL before that product has been officially announced and no specs have been realeased, is just plain stupid. Wait for Apple to announce the iPad and the specs and then flame them if you want if it doesn't have retina or 1GB RAM, etc.

I for one am curious what the specs are going to be. I know that Apple does tend to throw curve balls out there sometimes and include things that no one thought of before, or no one has implemented before and it takes the market by storm, so that could be the case. Apple could announce an iPad with features that makes all these naysayers flock to them to purchase it.

I'll be buying the iPad 2 regardless since I finally made the decision to purchase. I would have purchased the iPad 1, but since the newer one is coming out soon (or so we all think) I figure to just wait to the upgrade. There are features I'd like to see but since even the first gen is good enough for my uses, the features on the 2 or the lack thereof are not that important to me.

17. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Just in: The white bezel leaks light. No white iPad till Spring of 2012.

18. Mackan macrumors 65816

I like white hardware products. It's a welcome change to all these black and gray colors. I hope they release a white iPad, but I doubt it.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That might work if on the MBPs they make the keyboard white too and on the iMacs if they made the Apple logos white...

20. HangmanSwingset macrumors 6502

HangmanSwingset

It's fake because it doesn't have a facetime camera! (sarcasm)

http://gizmodo.com/#!169886/apple-patents-screen-with-camera-inside-display

It doesn't need a cutout for the camera. The iPad is designed to be viewed in all 4 rotations, not just where the camera is on the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4g.

The camera is most likely going to be the in-screen camera, like I said earlier. Why? because then it's in the middle of the screen itself, and you don't have to worry about the orientation of the entire device just to use facetime on it. What better device to implement it into than the iPad?

So the "fake because it doesn't have the camera hole" argument is most likely invalid.

21. Goldfrapp, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  22. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I remember people were puking when they first saw white iPhone 4. LOL

Now everybody still wants it even after almost a year of delays. :rolleyes:

23. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Yes! Now people can match their white iPad to their white iPhone!.....oh wait.

24. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Exactly! :)

25. rovex macrumors 65816

Never thought of it happening, but now that's it been mentioned; I'd buy one.

To add, it seems as though they would have the make the back White too, because aluminium and White don't go well together I feel, so I can imagine having 2 pieces of glass on the front and back, like on the iPhone, becoming essentially a large iPhone, in white. And it would feel really solid in the hand and good quality. AND make it really thin.

I can definitely imagine it, but apple are going with the tapered edges now so that original idea is thrown out the window.