Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
$29 is not cheap (why should the consumers pay for Apple screw up?). Apple are the cheap ones here. Once again they admit a design flaw and refuse to properly address it. The free battery replacement for a few years would have been the adequate solution but we will get there. Give Apple another week.
My guess, is this is their final offer. $29 for an out of warranty replacement.

Reactions: groovygrandad

notspock

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
Did you read the article? This was only introduced in 10.2.1.
i read that- The throttling was new. As a solution to a problem (phones shutting down) which was happening before, People thought that was the phone failing and replaced it. My point still stands. - They didn't inform people what was going on.

Once again, I'm glad they are doing this.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
£29 is still too much in my opinion. Just offer it for free to phones that are affected (battery test in apple store).

Can’t believe this actually turned out to be true. My faith in apple has dropped somewhat. What other tactics are they doing behind the scenes?

Batteries die. Its a thing. They should not offer free replacements unless under warranty.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
...and what about us iPhone 6S Plus owners that thought our devices were so ancient and were so slow that it was deemed necessary to upgrade to an 8 Plus? So you’re now telling me I only needed a new battery? What compensation do we get? Disgusting practice. I’m [was] a huge me Apple fan. The Apple is rotting.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
This is a good scramble on Apple's part, but it still leaves some head scratching questions: Why did Apple remove battery data accessibility starting in iOS 10 right when they introduced the throttling? I'll let you answer that one on your own.

The very same battery data (wear level, cycles etc) they say they are going to bring back with a future iOS update was the data they prevented customers from viewing starting in iOS 10 (which used to always be viewable in earlier iOSes.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-data-cycles-health-etc-gone-in-ios-10.1977954/

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Seems like they realize they bungled this, and want to go extra-far to make up for it. $29 for the battery replacement is an EXCEPTIONALLY good deal, even if it is only good for the next year. EVERYONE should do it for eligible phones!

Reactions: fivenotrump

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Adequate response by Apple to this issue. That is a reasonable price for a battery replacement. I think the most important part would be built-in battery life information inside iOS. Looking forward to seeing that part.

I had to upgrade my wife's iPhone 6 Plus because this issue caused the phone to become almost completely useless to her due to the very slow speed. She was not happy missing pictures of our baby because the camera took too long to open. The final straw was when it took 15 seconds to open the phone app and call 911 when we witnessed a major accident. Fortunately we took advantage of the BOGO deal at T-Mobile to get new phones, but this really turned me off Apple somewhat as a company.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
£29 is still too much in my opinion. Just offer it for free to phones that are affected (battery test in apple store).

Can’t believe this actually turned out to be true. My faith in apple has dropped somewhat. What other tactics are they doing behind the scenes?
Supposedly Apple can run the diagnostic over the phone. You have to give the serial or other number (don't remember exactly) off the phone and they connect to it and run the diagnostic.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I still don't think this is good...

So if you buy a phone, use it heavily, and before the warranty is up, you may have a degraded experience because the CPU needs a better battery? So the fix is to spend another $29?

How long is this supposed to go on for? How come this isn't an issue in other portable things with CPUs?

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
Seems like they realize they bungled this, and want to go extra-far to make up for it. $29 for the battery replacement is an EXCEPTIONALLY good deal, even if it is only good for the next year. EVERYONE should do it for eligible phones!
What if you don’t own those iPhone anymore because you thought they were so slow that you had to upgrade to a newer model?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
So saying this another way, to you it was a big deal for everyone?

Frankly , no one cares what angry or apologetic posters think. Though it was a big deal to hit the world press and apple to back paddle in damage control....so yeah, this is a big deal.

For anyone saying this is not a big deal......... yeah maybe them, though Apple for on disagrees .....as this is what this forum is about.... and if you do the maths, $50 loss on each battery.....yeah that Is a big deal..... :)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Amazing news and uncalled for. I imagine all the trolls will have to find something else to whine about. Apple has stepped up and addressed something that was not a big deal.

Having your iPhone slowed down by Apple and not being told about it or why is not a big deal?

Being tricked into believing that your iPhone is running slower than before because it's just old and you go out to buy a new iPhone for $600 or more vs spending $79 or less for a new battery is not a big deal?

SMH

It takes "courage" to pull off this type of deception and think it's okay.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Totally unnecessary on Apple's part, but another example of their unique dedication to customer experience and customer satisfaction. Apple is an amazing company.
They became a charity by today
Tim will bring you chocolate as you queue and Angela will let you borrow her iPhone while yours gets repaired ;)

Reactions: iSilas and Nor10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.