Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh that makes more sense now. I clicked on the link and read through the thing. It's still obviously problematic that things marked highly confidential make their way into the wild.

It's possible that the original document WAS only for lawyers eyes but has now become public record. If that's the case, they wouldn't change the bottom just because that happened.

This is my guess.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Two Steve Jobs articles in 2 days? The man has been dead for almost 3 years.

Wait a second...

The headline says "New Steve Jobs Email".
Can someone explain how there can be a "New Steve Jobs Email" when he has been dead for almost 3 years?

Scary, scary...

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Pure curiosity, but are you being cynical for the sake of being so or do you actually know something that we don't? What do you mean by "nowhere"?

I'm not the author of the post you're wondering about, but I think it makes a legit point. Apple has rested on its laurels the past four years and failed to innovate. This is so obviously the case it had to be addressed on stage at the unveiling of the cylindrical pro computer (which, although nicely engineered, wasn't particularly innovative btw).

This shouldn't be controversial as it has been obvious since Cook took over. There is no Google Glass competitor (although even Cook must have a team working like mad on that considering how obvious the need is), no super iWatch (dumb idea anyway, but many thought/think it's amazing), no replacement for the cable-tv providers, and iTunes is just as bad as ever.

Without Jobs this was bound to happen. Not because Jobs was magical, but because he had control. Like every other mega corporation, Apple is sinking under it's own weight--they can't even get their campus built. They're all making too much money to rock the boat.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Except:

They're leading the portable computer industry in software, battery life, hardware dimensions & weight, and usability.

They're leading the mobile phone industry in the compact phone segment.

Hmm, iPad...

Mac Pro...

Where did you get those bits from?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Two Steve Jobs articles in 2 days? The man has been dead for almost 3 years. Let's stop living in the past because technology changes so fast we can't use a dead man's cheat notes and quotes. A new game changing product could be released next week. I doubt Steve could help. Apple hasn't had a game changer since the iPad.
We should be worried about 2014 Apple. Not 2010 Apple.

Sure. And no more books on the ancient Egyptians, or the Renaissance period, or dead U.S. president's diaries. History is so irrelevant. Truly, let's stop living in the past.:rolleyes:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Adding a browser ... how innovative. This is they only reason why I have not bought ATV and cut my satellite subscription. The lack of a browser on ATV is just plain silly.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Ah Steve Jobs; he lives on, in courtroom legal battles at the very least. I wonder what Apple would be today if he were still here. Would his intensity and laser focus mean Apple would be much different today? Or are the respected Tim Cook and team so ingrained in the Apple way that not much would be different - maybe just the personal approach and interactions, but products and services much the same as if Steves massive controlling influence were still here and 'live'. Still he's not here and I think Tim and team are doing great.

I often wonder about this. I think the technology side would be pretty much the same. In other words, I don't think we'd have some awesome product or feature that we don't have if SJ were still here. But I think that the product roadmap would be a little different. And I wonder where the watch would be with SJ at the helm. This will be the first product launched that Steve had no influence on. This will define the post SJ apple.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
OMG - AppleTV's gonna have a "Magic Wand"!

Awesome Apple Innovation!!!

Oh, wait....

WiiRemote2.jpg
Amazing how people are able to rip on a product before even seeing it, let alone using it.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Android was way ahead of iOS at the time in terms of features. Implementation not so much.

Today I think both are about equal. Just comes to preference.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
It's possible that the original document WAS only for lawyers eyes but has now become public record. If that's the case, they wouldn't change the bottom just because that happened.

This is my guess.

But as far as I am aware shouldn't it remain confidential until the case is done? I imagine that's when it becomes public record.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not the author of the post you're wondering about, but I think it makes a legit point. Apple has rested on its laurels the past four years and failed to innovate. This is so obviously the case it had to be addressed on stage at the unveiling of the cylindrical pro computer (which, although nicely engineered, wasn't particularly innovative btw).

This shouldn't be controversial as it has been obvious since Cook took over. There is no Google Glass competitor (although even Cook must have a team working like mad on that considering how obvious the need is), no super iWatch (dumb idea anyway, but many thought/think it's amazing), no replacement for the cable-tv providers, and iTunes is just as bad as ever.

Without Jobs this was bound to happen. Not because Jobs was magical, but because he had control. Like every other mega corporation, Apple is sinking under it's own weight--they can't even get their campus built. They're all making too much money to rock the boat.

Depends on what you mean by "innovation." I'd argue that Apple's greatest successes have involved taking pre-existing concepts and combining/packaging them in ways that made them much more compelling than previous products. The iPod and iPad are examples.

You may think that the iWatch is a dumb idea, but there are many of us in healthcare who believe that wearable or handheld devices that are part of a health-monitoring ecosystem have great promise.

Unless you have an insider's view, you don't know what level of control Tim Cook exerts at Apple. His personality is certainly different from Steve Jobs', and he may be less involved in defining product specifications, but that doesn't mean that he's not closely monitoring the competition, discussing strategy, and so on. Time will tell whether he is successful.

In anticipation of being labeled an Apple apologist, I'll add that I'm a shareholder who wants the company to do better, and I'm unhappy about many things they've done or not done. For example, iCloud isn't nearly where it needs to be, there were many aspects of iOS 7 that I thought were a step backward (though some have since been addressed), and I still want an option between the Mac Pro and iMac in the desktop line, to name just three.

As for the new Apple campus, as of a month ago demolition was ahead of schedule toward a goal of 2016 occupancy, though your mention of it is irrelevant.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

I think it's fair to say you have no idea what you are talking about. No company innovates with some revolutionary new products every other year... You want apple to wow you again and they aren't doing it fast enough for you... Even under jobs apple went very long periods without a big new product that wowed the masses.

Also, apple isn't in the business of spending years talking about a product before making it available. When they make a product they feel is good enough to sell, they announce it and within months, often weeks it's is for sale.

Last edited:

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I think it's fair to say you have no idea what you are talking about. No company innovates with some revolutionary new products every other year... You want apple to wow you again and they aren't doing it fast enough for you... Even under jobs apple went very long periods without a big new product that wowed the masses.

Also, apple isn't in the business of spending years talking about a product before making it available. When they make a product they feel is good enough to sell, they announce it and within months, often weeks it's is for sale.

This * 10000. People have completely unrealistic expectations about Apple innovation and it's more a reflection of those people than it is of Apple.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
But as far as I am aware shouldn't it remain confidential until the case is done? I imagine that's when it becomes public record.

No. Generally a protective order only applies during discovery unless a motion is made to have evidence sealed during trial. If no such motion is made, evidence isn't sealed at trial and becomes unprotected when introduced at trial.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Mac Pro, A7 chip (truly desktop class)

I guess if it's not a bigger screen people don't consider engineering to be innovative :rolleyes:

Well, I and I'm sure many others would like to see how well am as you put it "desktop class" i7 compares to a Intel desktop chip, running Windows 7 or 8 or OSX

Let us see just how "desktop class" is it.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Well, I and I'm sure many others would like to see how well am as you put it "desktop class" i7 compares to a Intel desktop chip, running Windows 7 or 8 or OSX

If you had to lower the clock speed of an Intel CPU to fit in the maximum power requirements of the A7, I'm not sure which one would win but I would bet on the A7.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I read the whole email. Width of vision, clarity and strategic planning behind Steve's email is breathtaking. I also noted that most of his ideas outlined in email have been implemented, specifically lower cost iPhone, iCloud sharing and storage, saving and backing up to iCloud from all Apple apps, AirPlay to AppleTV and etc. But the vision of Jobs is great.

I agree. I couldn't help but think why my management team couldn't be as smart. We're constantly chasing poor ideas and always reacting rather than leading.

But even without Steve, Apple has done a great job of leading in markets where they compete... 5S, Mac Pro, MacBooks, iPad Air; all gold standards in their respective categories. And if whatever new product category Apple introduces this year is a hit, hopefully that will shut everyone up about Apple's inability to innovate... makes for a great story, but far from reality.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Desktop class does not mean "beats the latest and greatest in high end consumer processors".

The A7 has way more power than a phone battery can handle, thats a feat of engineering that lays amazing groundwork for when the next generation of batteries gets rolled into production. Thats a massive leg up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.