Apple TV 4 32 or 64GB? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jerhen, Jan 26, 2016.

?

Apple TV 32gb or 64gb

1. 32gb?

123 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. 64gb?

50 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. Jerhen macrumors regular

I am thinking of getting my first Apple TV but I am unsure if it is worth it and which model to get. I watch Netflix on my iPad and would like to watch it on the TV. I also have purchased movies and tv shows on iTunes that I would also like to watch on the TV. Do you think I will use it enough? If I get one, which capacity should I get 32gb or 64gb?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

I don't think there really is a right or wrong answer -- depends on your needs.

3. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Best to use the search function on this site for the correct answer to this question. It has been addressed many times. Apple does NOT use storage the same way on the ATV4, as they do with traditional computers/iDevices.

4. bheathain macrumors member

Exactly. I bought the 64GB version, but in hindsight, now knowing that you cannot download cloud purchases to the device, I don't see a lot of point for the higher capacity.

5. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I haven't really seen any case for the 64GB ATV unless you are really planning to load up on game apps. Maybe with time apps will become bigger or more things will be stored offline.

Has anyone with a 32GB ATV run out of space in a way that meaningfully affects performance?

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I purchased the 32GB model, but I also don't plan on downloading/playing any games. I'm going to strictly use the device for media/TV apps. So for me, the 32GB works best for my needs.

As others before me mentioned, it depends on your needs.

7. mcfly88 macrumors 6502

Went with 32GB, no regrets whatsoever. More than enough storage for the average user.

8. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I have never regretted buying the Big Kahuna model of any Apple product. I have friends who have regretted buying the low end.

The very first new computer I ever bought was a Compaq Portable with dual 360K double-sided double-density floppy drives and 256 KB of RAM. "You'll never need more than 256 K," said the salesman. And at that time, he was right - no commercial program required more. Then Borland released its Reflex database, which required 312 KB.

30 years later, nothing has changed. You will always need more memory and storage than you have.

9. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

You're assuming that an app won't come out that will use that space. Also, the 64gb version will buffer better with slow internet service, which I can verify. I paid 149 for my 64gb so it was a no brainier to grab it.

10. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I've got a 32Gb and I'm not even close to filling it.

11. dbwie macrumors 6502

Radio Shack currently sells the 64GB bundled with an HDMI cable for $170 + $6 shipping. I say spend a little extra for the 64 GB if you plan to have and use this for about 5 years, that way you have some extra room for apps we do not yet know about that would take up more space.

12. Jerhen thread starter macrumors regular

That was the whole reason for my post because I saw the sale and couldn't pass it up. I don't order stuff offline and went to my local RadioShack and they don't have it in stock. Another RadioShack in my area, I called them and they don't have any but planned to get some within this week. I think tomorrow I am going to call them back and see when they would get any and if they would get any during the sale period. If I can't get one their if they don't get any in, would BestBuy price match this sale? I am kind of thinking they won't because it would be considered a bundle. What do you think?

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

For me it was the 32gig size. I do not plan on installing a boat load of apps, in fact I only have a few now. Plex, Youtube, Trailers, and one other that is escaping me.

14. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have the 32GB version. I usually like to max out my devices but now that I have my apple TV I only have a few apps on there so I still have plenty of space.

15. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Apple has put restrictions on the use of storage on the Apple TV. This could change but at this time the main use of storage seems to be with Games. If you do not play games it will be hard to reach 32gb. I am hoping Apple opens up the use of storage. I.E. Sync all of my Photos onto the device like I do with all my other devices. Also, would be nice if I could keep a local copy of some Movie's my grandkids watch over and over to reduce download times. For others they might like to keep local copies of music. If any of this happens then the 64gb version would seem small.

16. JeffreyNewland macrumors newbie

JeffreyNewland

For those with the 32 GB, are you already wishing you purchased the larger version? I'm stuck between the two and am curious about the memory that the Apple TV games take up.

17. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

I got 2 64GB apple TV's and I really don't see the need for the larger capacity at all. I think 32GB should be fine for the vast majority of people.

18. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

As a reverse, I got All 64gb and not wishing I go the 332gb model. But that is just me. At the least I am seeing about 44g remaining. So, had I go the 32gb Version I would have 12gb left on my heaviest used one. And I only have about 10 games.

Regarding Apps including Games. The initial download size is a max of 200mb. An App can then download another 2gb for a total of 2.2gb. Any additional storage needed will have to replace part of the 2gb. And, if your Apple TV runs low on storage needed for other things or apps then the 2gb added will start to be purged and will need to be downloaded again. Most Apps are less then 200mb so they never need the extra storage. But Games "can" get larger and some do but I think it is limited at this time. Maybe more over the next year or so. No idea. Some say some games take a long time to download additional "levels" while playing the games and can be a problem on a slow connection (or maybe a fast connection). Maybe this will get better over time. Or maybe we will have better control of the use of the storage.

For me, I use a Live TV App (Channels) which just added a feature to BUFFER up to 2gb of Live TV so that I can pause/REW/FF. I would prefer it be closer to 4-5gb (for a full 1 hour show) but it has a 2gb limit. I am not sure if the limit is because of the 2gb mentioned above or not. My point is that this 2gb is new so my 44gb free would be about 42gb free when I am watching TV.

Again, I am uncertain what the future will be and maybe I completely wasted money and maybe by the time I need more I will replace some of them with the ATV5. But, I normally pass on these things to other family so I think the 64gb my be nice for them. Hope that helps.

19. MAvery macrumors newbie

Personally I always like to err on the side of caution and get the most space I can comfortably afford.

20. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Get 32gb .. i bought a 64gb and regret it

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Plenty of space still...

The games seem to be doing a lot of streaming.

Unfortunate for those of us who can't afford high-speed internet...:(

22. ajforbes20 macrumors regular

ajforbes20

I got 64 GB, With plans to purchase a lot of games. My guess is future games will be more demanding and take up more space.

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

5 Years?

But in 3 years the new Apple TV 5 comes out with 128 GB, FaceTime support, 4K, A13 CPU, thinner, VR, and Media Server features, and TV OS update that won't work with the current Apple TV, you may end up upgrading to that.

24. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I also bought 64G and will likely never find a need for that much.