Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Dude, do you honestly think Apple didn't put some sort of country checker into the system? I'm sure when you sign on from Denmark, you'll be sad to see that your purchased content is not there, even if you have a US-based itunes account.

:-\ ... i meant to mention only the US

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
None of the kid TV shows I purchased from Nick Jr. are showing up!
Bubble Guppies, Dora, Diego, Max and Ruby etc.:confused::(

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
No it isn't. People go to where they can get content for the best prices, and that isn't from iTunes. Amazon completely decimates them on the prices of movies, tv episodes, and full TV shows. Community Season 1 on iTunes = 65 dollars. Community Season 1 on Amazon = 24 dollars. People won't buy an Apple TV if these price discrepancies continue.

when you mention AMAZON, are you talking about physical media or digital media... if you're talking about dvds/blurays, i dont want that

edit: i see the Amazon Instant Video now... but does that give you the ability to store it on your computer or is it simply streaming?

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
This is a good update for me since I have been buying TV content from Amazon since you can buy directly through Roku for Amazon--now the same will apply for ATV--good move!

when you mention AMAZON, are you talking about physical media or digital media... if you're talking about dvds/blurays, i dont want that

I'm pretty sure he is talking about Amazon streaming. I too usually buy from Amazon since it is usually cheaper than Apple but not every TV show is available in both iTunes and Amazon so it is good that now you can buy from both without having to use your computer.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
It would be great to have Amazon support simply to have a real alternative to the insanely stupid prices Apple charges. I wanted to get into the show Supernatural, so I checked yesterday and season one is on sale from Apple for 30 bucks. It's on sale at Amazon for 14. Amazon also has 1.99 HD movies of the day, and they tend to be hit movies. Whereas Apple has a 1.99 HD movies of the week, and it's more often than not a piece of crap.

Amazon needs to be shut down for anticompetitive practices. They sell books at less than the price they paid for them with the intent of running all the other bookstores out of business. They also have contracts with all the publishing houses that state, the publishing houses MUST sell books to Amazon for less than the other book stores.

Sometimes cheaper prices are bad for the consumer.

Could be, but sounds unlikely; I mean, we can stream HD movies from our local-network computers, and stream HD trailers from the internet, and YouTube works just fine, etc, so I can't quite see why Netflix or Vimeo wouldn't work...

You have obviously never been near an ATV1. As I was pointing out in a separate post, the ATV1 does HD over local- and wide-area networks just fine, and it runs YouTube perfectly as well, so there are no obvious technical reasons that would prevent it from streaming Netflix or Vimeo.

Wanting a 4-year-old iPhone to run iOS5 is definitely silly. Then again, that was your example, not mine.

It's not about hardware limitations, it's about product cycles. If Apple updated all of their old hardware with the latest and greatest software updates then it would give people very little reason to purchase new equipment.

If I remember, the ATV 2 uses a new CoDec for streaming that is more secure but requires more processing power. It might be that the studios require this CoDec for rented content.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Cool. Did they also fix the issue where both of my AppleTVs repeatedly stop seeing my Mac Mini, and I have to turn Home Sharing off and then on again to get it to respond? It's getting annoying.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Amazon needs to be shut down for anticompetitive practices. They sell books at less than the price they paid for them with the intent of running all the other bookstores out of business. They also have contracts with all the publishing houses that state, the publishing houses MUST sell books to Amazon for less than the other book stores.

Sometimes cheaper prices are bad for the consumer.

They are certainly not doing anything any worse than the big B&M companies like Walmart so it is a bit unfair to single them out just because they are the biggest online retailer.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
I purchased the 1st gen Apple TV on August 24th 2010. It was "current" less than a year ago so it certainly isn't the same as someone complaining about their original iPhone not getting iOS 5 because the product hasn't been sold for a few years! If i'd waited a month I would have paid less for the 2nd gen and got these updates*

*I'm glad i didn't wait as I wouldn't want to stream content but i'm moaning for others!

To be fair, though, you bought a device which hadn't seen an update in almost two years. From Apple. When Apple rumor boards like this one were rife with speculation on an update. AND, your purchase date (Aug 24) means you were WELL within the no-questions-asked 14-day return window when the ATV2 was announced Sept 1.

You do have a valid complaint, but in the future, please take advantage of things like the Mac Buying Guide here on macrumors. It will save you significant buyers' remorse!

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
It's not about hardware limitations, it's about product cycles. If Apple updated all of their old hardware with the latest and greatest software updates then it would give people very little reason to purchase new equipment.

More importantly: it would leave Apple Software Engineers (and QA, etc) very little time to work on improving the software for current devices.

The architecture of the ATV1 is entirely different from the ATV2. Other than the fact that they both send HDMI out and with similar-ish interfaces, they are completely different beasts. One is ARM and the other Intel, FFS!

Maintaining development on both platforms would be a major cost hole for Apple. Apple is Apple because it keeps itself forward-looking and is not afraid to jettison the outdated cruft when necessary.

If you want new features on your Apple TV 1, look to the "jailbreaking" community. There are lots of turnkey toolkits that let you update and enhance that hardward (with varying degrees of stability, as you would expect from folks who don't exactly get paid to make your TV box stable).

Last edited:

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
So I can safely delete my iTunes TV shows from my HD?

Nice!

So, does this mean that I no longer have to store those Battlestar Galactica episodes I purchased in iTunes? They're taking up several GB worth of space, and I probably wouldn't re-watch them more often than, say, once a year.

It sounds like with the "re-download' ability, I can just delete my iTunes TV shows from my hard drive, and then when I get the inkling to re-watch any of them, just decide then whether I want to re-download. Quite handy!

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011

edit: i see the Amazon Instant Video now... but does that give you the ability to store it on your computer or is it simply streaming?

Speaking strictly about digital content, but their bluray/dvd prices are outstanding too. With Amazon you can either stream everything to your computer or a device that supports the Amazon store, or if you're on a Windows PC you can download everything to your HD and then stream it a device that runs Windows Media Server, like the xbox 360.

gte747e

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Amazon Prime on Apple TV 2

I'd love for Apple to add Amazon on Demand (which I get a ton free as an Amazon Prime member) to the Apple TV 2.
If you'd like this feature as well, let Apple know here.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I'd love for Apple to add Amazon on Demand (which I get a ton free as an Amazon Prime member) to the Apple TV 2.
If you'd like this feature as well, let Apple know here.

I'd love that too but I think you will find that Amazon is just a bit too close to Apple's model for them to put it on ATV.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
It would be great to have Amazon support simply to have a real alternative to the insanely stupid prices Apple charges. I wanted to get into the show Supernatural, so I checked yesterday and season one is on sale from Apple for 30 bucks. It's on sale at Amazon for 14. Amazon also has 1.99 HD movies of the day, and they tend to be hit movies. Whereas Apple has a 1.99 HD movies of the week, and it's more often than not a piece of crap.

Hmm. You know, I hadn't looked at Amazon's streaming service in a while, and at the time the streaming service was absolute crap compared to iTunes downloads. It still has the same pricing structure ($1.99 per ep), but has a better "season pass" than Apple (guaranteed $1.89 per ep, pay as you download eps, cancel any time). And, at least from the bitrate, it looks like it should have vastly superior quality as well (max bitrate of the stream is twice that of Apple's downloads!)

I'll have to try Amazon's service the next time we buy/download a show. Unfortunately, it only allows actual downloads (and thus only allows "full quality") on a Windows PC, so we're stuck with the half-bitrate streaming-only service (no way in hell I'm hooking a Windows PC up to a big screen to watch a show!)

cublah

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
Los Angeles
I've bought a **** load of content from iTunes over the years and there is a lot that isn't showing up, my wife bought Cougar Town (both seasons) and half the episodes from Season 2 are missing. Some shows have complete seasons missing and some have half the episodes missing from some seasons.

Maybe it will all sync up eventually!

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
Woohoo. Finally. :)

But for most of the shows, I get that iTunes is currently not available. But for others, the stream happens just fine.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Must be rolling out, I'm missing all but two seasons of south park, all arrested development and a handful of others... But it's a good update! Bring on the movies!

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
So this is like iCloud for TV and Movies?

Edit. I guess it's only iCloud for TV Shows at this point. Hopefully movies to come.

Yes, hopefully very soon! This TV news is great but I never watch TV. Now movies would be AWESOME!!! :cool: I'm sure Apple is working on it but the studios are being morons as usual. :rolleyes:

P.S. It is showing TV shows that I have never purchased or even seen before in my life lol. Anyone else seeing weird things or bugs like this?

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Once the ability to stream purchased movies comes out, I'll update to v2. It's the last missing piece for our household (we only have laptops which makes v1 so necessary to hold on to).

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The inability of the ATV2 to purchase/instantly view purchased television shows has been the sole reason I haven't upgraded from my ATV1.

Now that they've added this feature, I'm buying one today. :)

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I don't see TV Shows menu appearing on my Apple TV 2 here in Canada. Vimeo is there. Is this another thing that's US-only at first? Damn it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

So you're saying we exist to throw more and more money at Apple, rather than Apple existing to make us happy with what we buy from them?

As another guy said in this thread: Apple was still selling the first generation less than ONE YEAR ago. It seems like they could add a few of these features to at least feed those buyers with some fun new stuff for 365+ days. Apple still releases new software that will run on PowerPC Macs which haven't been sold new in many years.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
So you're saying we exist to throw more and more money at Apple, rather than Apple existing to make us happy with what we buy from them?

As another guy said in this thread: Apple was still selling the first generation less than ONE YEAR ago. It seems like they could add a few of these features to at least feed those buyers with some fun new stuff for 365+ days. Apple still releases new software that will run on PowerPC Macs which haven't been sold new in many years.

It's called business, and how they sell new devices... They support most of their flagship devices for AT LEAST 2-3 years (EG. iPhone, iPod Touch) which is way more than can be said for lots of other companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.