Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Damn, I knew that I should not have put my "Easy Button" in my Wife's garage sale!!:rolleyes:

I did my ringtones by hand. They disappeared. After some indignation, I figured it out. You have to use that ID3 mod (Atomic Parsley), but use .m4r extensions. Once you change the STIK field to 14 using atomic parsley and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r, you can drag ringtones into your library again by hand. I am happy.

Here is how I make ringtones:

1. Make sure that /usr/local/bin is in your path:
    Open Terminal, type
    Code:
    pico ~/.profile
    and then add this line if it isn't there:
    Code:
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
    Save the file and exit using Ctrl-O, <return> and then Ctrl-X.
  2. Download Atomic Parsley, put the executable in "/usr/local/bin":
    Use the finder to navigate to /usr/local/bin using the cmd-shift-g.
    Open Terminal, type
    Code:
    chmod a+x AtomicParsley
  3. Go into "/usr/local/bin" and make a new script called "makeringtone":
    Open Terminal, type
    Code:
    pico makeringtone
    and then put this text in the file:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    AtomicParsley "$PWD/$1" --stik value=14
    Save the file and exit using Ctrl-O, <return> and then Ctrl-X. Now, make it executable by typing
    Code:
    chmod a+x makeringtone
  4. Change to the directory where the file you want to turn into a ringtone is, and type
    Code:
    makeringtone filename.m4a
    then rename the output and put it in your library.
    For example, I would type:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop; \ 
    makeringtone AlarmClock.m4a
    Then delete AlarmClock.m4a (if you want) and rename the temporary file that the output indicates to "AlarmClock.m4r" (or whatever you want).
    Finally, just drag that onto your iTunes Library.

Sorry if that was too technical, but I hope it helps anyone that is interested. Once you make the script file, it's pretty straightforward to open a Terminal window and perform the last step to make a ringtone. It would be annoying if you did it once a day, but I only want 2 ringtones, so it's nice for me.

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
If you use iToner 1.0.1, your ringtones would continue to work just fine through the iTunes 7.4.2 update.

I have to commend moki and Ambrosia software. They regularly provide comments here on new apple releases, are quick to respond on their forums and provide updates for their product in a timely fashion. I spent $15 the day iToner broke and was fairly miffed, but in a few days a new release was available.

Other companies would do well to have their superb communication skills and turnaround time.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Do iToner ringtones survive FIRMWARE updates?

If they do, I'll pay the little $15 fee for it. I just don't want to pay for something that I can do with iFuntastic for free if both solutions screw up my ringtones after firmware updates.
:confused:

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

If they do, I'll pay the little $15 fee for it. I just don't want to pay for something that I can do with iFuntastic for free if both solutions screw up my ringtones after firmware updates.

Well, they promise "Even better, your ringtones will continue to work with future iPhone OS updates!". So far, so good, but I bet the next firmware release is on the horizon bringing itms on the go, etc, so that will be a good test...

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
i wonder if this has anything to do with tomorrow?
No, 7.4.3 will be released tomorrow to deal with that announcement. Followed by 7.4.4 on Wednesday to deliver the new iPhone update and 7.4.5 on Thursday to kill ringtones again after people figure out how to get them working.

grappler

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
So, can I make a ringtone of any iTunes Plus song I buy? Since I've just bought a DRM-free version of it? And therefore could conceivably have gone and edited it into a ringtone myself? Because that's the kind of thing we expect when we buy something DRM-free?

trunkster

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Anyone having a problem with AtomicParsley + renaming to .m4r not working? It adds the ringtone to the "Ringtones" category but then when syncing the iPhone says it's not supported.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
True Story: A Few years ago Merv Griffen (US TV personality and Game show inventor) received a check for over one million dollars. He asked his assistant what the check was for an he was told it for RingTones. Merv (who just died last month) had created the game show Jeopardy and also wrote it's theme song. His reponse to his assistant " What are ringtones?" :eek:

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
True Story: A Few years ago Merv Griffen (US TV personality and Game show inventor) received a check for over one million dollars. He asked his assistant what the check was for an he was told it for RingTones. Merv (who just died last month) had created the game show Jepardy and also wrote it's theme song. His reponse to his assistant " What are ringtones?" :eek:

Minutes later RIAA filed a lawsuit and claimed royalties from the 1 million dollar check...

anyhow... where is my iPhone update! GRRR... WANT ICHAT.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
What about if all you used was music that you created or the supplied Apple loops.

Like I said, they are trying to write DRM music laws to muscle you out of the picture brother. If we don't speak up we lose our rights, and we've already lost alot. Take a look at the efforts by the electronic frontier foundation to win back your rights, it's scary at what "The Man" is trying to take away.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Not to defend the record companies since they have screwed themselves, but ringtones are one new way to make up for lost revenue from loss of sales due to illegal downloads. I do sympathize with musicians who own their publishing. This can bring some good income to them.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Not to defend the record companies since they have screwed themselves, but ringtones are one new way to make up for lost revenue from loss of sales due to illegal downloads. I do sympathize with musicians who own their publishing. This can bring some good income to them.

cha ching! someone bought my song as a ringtone, now what will I do with my 6 cents!?! :p

un1ty

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007

Apparently the RIAA fought and won the right to sell Ringtones WITHOUT paying the artist's anything.

moki

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2001

Yes, barring any unforeseen action from Apple (which given their actions of late, is a necessary disclaimer), your ringtones will survive firmware updates as well. We've updated from 1.0.0->1.0.1 and 1.0.1->1.0.2 and ringtones put in your iPhone via iToner have stayed intact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.