Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today rolled out some updates to its online store, not only posting new features advertising Father's Day gift purchases but also introducing a new, cleaner look for the store. While the main page of the online store had previously consisted of a main center column with product promotions flanked by sidebars with additional links, the new look brings an all-feature design focusing more on product images.

apple_store_0513_redesign_main.jpg
Previously, the left sidebar had offered quick access to accessory categories for Apple's various product lines, as well as links to the company's refurbished and clearance stores. Shoppers looking for accessories must now drill down through the product categories along the top "shop" navigation bar to reach the various accessories, while links to the refurbished and clearance stores are listed at the bottom of the page.

A similar situation exists for the former right sidebar, which offered links to Apple's other stores such as for education and business, as well as store services including gift cards, financing, and returns. All of these links are now only directly accessible through the store site map links at the bottom of the page.

The change removes some redundancy on Apple's main store page, as many links had appeared both in the main body of the page and lower down in the site map section, and by removing the sidebar links Apple has been able to bring much greater prominence to product images.

apple_store_0513_redesign_accessories.jpg
Apple has made additional image-centric changes further down in the site, with the main pages for each of the company's product lines now allowing for larger images and less text, while accessory pages have seen even more dramatic changes away from simple lists and toward more featured images.

Update: As noted by Macerkopf.de [Google translation], Apple has also added the ability for users in the German online store to pay for their purchases via PayPal.

Article Link: Apple Updates Look of Online Store With More Feature Images, Fewer Text Links

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems less intuitive. I like to find what I want and this appears to hamper that.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
What about it? There'll be less text links?

Haha no... I mean it clearly shows that Apple is changing their overall "software" design.
And so iOS7 will change the design in this direction.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
With larger images and being more image centric, the site is in turn, much more touch friendly.

Makes sense but I still prefer using my laptop over my iPad so the changes are less welcome for me.

Oh well, not much I can do, just to adapt and roll with the punches.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
It still looks dated (header) and the animations are too over the top. Like when you hit ipod for example then iTunes and more. Animation takes forever and then comes in too fast.

houstonwkv

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Great White North
Ewwww

I cant wrap my head around a menu on the left side of the screen.

Also if you click browse by and filter your accessory results, you lose an entire row of products.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Yet another example of Apple's continuing effort at dumbing down everything.
You must conform and use things only how Apple tells you.

You want to 'think different' ? Sure you can, as long as it is exactly how Apple tells you how.

Doesn't fit your workflow or skill level? Sorry no options for that anymore but they put in a bunch of cool icons .

Want that feature or option that you have relied on for years on your system? Nope that is obsolete now and they will never bring it back.

You want to chose which way to use a product? Now you have no choice because according to Apple, you are not smart enough to make your own decisions.

Want to customize the setup your way? Nope Apple knows better how YOU should be working.

neral

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
Dont you notice the change?

Its more like Windows 8 Interface. Apple is ceasing to put everything inside a rounded corners square, and now its attaching the tiles together.

If you are not convinced yet, look at the iPod site:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/
It still have a lot of blocks with rounded corners separated with some space between them. Also the background is darker and the shadows are more visible (in the Online Store, the blocks shadow appear just at the right side and is less stronger and expanded than in other parts of the website).

I dont think Apple is gonna strictly follow Windows 8 interface. But it's trying to look less 2007-2011. Its becoming more simpler, maybe following Google new mobile interface guidelines.

PD: sorry about my bad english.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
With larger images and being more image centric, the site is in turn, much more touch friendly.

One of the things I see people asking for is an iPad/universal version of the Apple Store app. I think this is a sign that ain't happening.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012

You want to 'think different' ? Sure you can, as long as it is exactly how Apple tells you how.

Doesn't fit your workflow or skill level? Sorry no options for that anymore but they put in a bunch of cool icons .

Want that feature or option that you have relied on for years on your system? Nope that is obsolete now and they will never bring it back.

You want to chose which way to use a product? Now you have no choice because according to Apple, you are not smart enough to make your own decisions.

Want to customize the setup your way? Nope Apple knows better how YOU should be working.

Want a Droid? Get it at your Best Buy and never look at another apple for 10 year.
Problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

How exactly is Apple locking you in to anything? There are options - this is a free market out there. You can buy Android if you want to. Of course, Android ALSO locks you in to not being able to install iOS apps.

Are you going to complain about iTunes not available on an Android device, and how Android locks you in to their ecosystem now?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

That's actually the one Jobs legacy that still remains with Apple. It's a myth that using things the way Apple wants you do is a new development. This type of control was always at the forefront of Jobs mind since the Apple II. You should read the Jobs bio for perspective on this issue.

Job didn't get away with it with the Apple II because Woz's opinion still had some currency, being Apple's first product, and he being the brain trust. But the Lisa and Mac were pretty much closed systems with limited ports, and user-unfriendly Torx screws. Everything after the Mac and before the iMac were post Jobs I era.

All of the Jobs II era Macs except pro desktops were only marginally user upgradable (Mostly RAM). All of the iDevices are sealed boxes, even if they can be gotten into.

stellaclose

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Handbags?

So when you click on "Shop Mac" it displays the rMBP... but then scroll down you get a selection of handbags. HANDBAGS!!!!

FANTASTIC

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
Dont you notice the change?

Its more like Windows 8 Interface. Apple is ceasing to put everything inside a rounded corners square, and now its attaching the tiles together.

Additionally, buttons are no longer lozenge shaped ('Buy Now' button on a product page for example), they are more squared off.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 15.13.21.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 15.13.21.png
    6 KB · Views: 1,975
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 15.14.01.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 15.14.01.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,966
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.