Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I get less excited about new OS X releases lately. It used to be a feeling of "what awesome new features are we going to get?" These days it feels more like "What is Apple going to take away or dumb down?" or "Are they going to cripple OS X to make it like iOS"

While OS X has many rooms for improvements, compared to iOS, it is far more mature. We all have a wish list, but many probably amount to much needed fixes, geeky under-the-hood changes, iterative improvements, nice to have new features, and nitpicking.

If I were to venture a guess, any major new improvements to OS X will coincide with major new hardware changes. For instance, perhaps retina display Macs will trigger Apple to rethink some of the UI elements.

That said, as a geek, I would love new file system.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
This wait is getting a bit ridiculous though. I can't even remember when Lion came out, but I'm pretty sure it was mid-2005. Since then Microsoft have launched two updates to Windows. So there!

Lion...2005!!!???:confused:

Boy, you really got me with that "So there!"

A razor edged riposte.

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
So Apple didn't update OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview to Retina Display build? I'm surprised.

Build a beta OS with retina resolutions, when there isn't a single retina computer. What a waste of space..
Next thing you know, apple will build 4G LTE modem drivers for no apparent reason, because of it not coming on macs.
Or maybe you are mocking the fact that we are trying to trace RUMOURS on a mac RUMOURS website, in which case you are not welcome here to make stupid comments like that.

Cheers!

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
LOL @ Retina display. Thats exactly what every developer wants! They want a resolution so high that they will need an external graphics card to be able to run the display.

Is this real life? Release more info for developers and allow us to program on Windows so we don't have to buy overpriced laptops with sub-par components...

It's called moving forward.

zackkitzmiller

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
This wait is getting a bit ridiculous though. I can't even remember when Lion came out, but I'm pretty sure it was mid-2005. Since then Microsoft have launched two updates to Windows. So there!

Lion achieved golden master status on July 1, 2011, so.. less than a year. Unless you're just trolling, and I'm an idiot.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I get less excited about new OS X releases lately. It used to be a feeling of "what awesome new features are we going to get?" These days it feels more like "What is Apple going to take away or dumb down?" or "Are they going to cripple OS X to make it like iOS"

Maybe I'm being paranoid or unreasonable, but it feels like ever since iOS took off, that's the company's main focus and us Mac users have been somewhat left behind.

The fact that we haven't seen a Mac Pro in so long is also depressing.

I think there's a lot of people wanting apple to release 'Snow Lion' instead of 'Mountain Lion', a return of some of Slow Leopards featurs, and a refinement of Lion's other featurs. I can't blame people for wanting that, there's certainly parts of Snow Leopard I miss.

But I'm holding my judgement of Mountain Lion until I can actually give it a spin.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Apple TV used to be - "If it's on iTunes, it's on your TV." With Mountain Lion it's, "If it's on your Mac, it's on your TV."

That's huge!

Apple improves bit, by bit, by bit. Each release of iOS or OS X, people whine, but compare iOS 5 to iPhone OS. Compare Mountain Lion to Tiger. Go through all the new technologies. List all the features. Consider the difference in user experience.

Merging the Mac experience with your Mobile experience is revolutionary. It's brand new and a no-brainer for those with Macs and iOS devices.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I think there's a lot of people wanting apple to release 'Snow Lion' instead of 'Mountain Lion'

That's what ML is for the most part, it does revert a number of things to be more like SL, and there's a lot of emphasis on optimization and refinement.

jayman99

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
I'm so ready for Mountain Lion. Lion has been great, but I need better integration with iOS. The Reminder and Notes apps will be wonderful to have on OS X finally. Bring it on Apple.

soundguyami

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Fixed I think

Maybe now AirPlay will work, I've missed it :(

I believe the feature is now active since the last Preview update.

Also what people need to understand...Ivy Bridge has a rather impressive GPU built in the chip..this will handle the retna display just fine in conjunction with the standard gpu.

luemmel123

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
The article says that Mountain Lion will be released late summer. Yesterday there was a post that the new MacBook Pros will be released in June.

Wouldn't this mean that the new MacBooks will be released later?

soundguyami

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Pfft to you!

Pfft. What a joke. Hurry up apple, you corrupt company! With all that liquid cash you would think they could pull this out early. What a joke.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx (HeHAW)

Unlike Microsoft...Apple does not rush to push out OS upgrades to get ahead of anything. Microsoft does it to get ahead of Apple and history proves that is disastrous at best. Vista was one of those moves and was a complete failure.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Ahh...The irony...

The ICDocument icon..iCloud document..

People will get over it, and we'll probably keep seeing the Ethernet plug as an icon for Internet for a while, even if it gets outdated on laptops, simply because it's very representative networks and the Internet.

After all, we're still saving by clicking on a floppy icon, Mail's icon is a stamp, Logic's icon is a vinyl record, Page's icon is a dip pen, Safari's icon is an analog compass, Find my iPhone's icon is an old-school radar and the iPhone's phone app icon looks like a wired phone from the 80s, just to name a few...

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
My biggest pet-peeve will be that they've yanked native RSS support from the entire OS. I may one of the few but i prefer Safari RSS to 3rd party apps.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The article says that Mountain Lion will be released late summer. Yesterday there was a post that the new MacBook Pros will be released in June.

Wouldn't this mean that the new MacBooks will be released later?

The MacBook was discontinued. Unless you are referring to the 13" pro, which should get updated at the same time.

Also, I think you posted in the wrong thread.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Ahh...The irony...

The ICDocument icon..iCloud document..

IC stands for "Internet Connect" it used to be part of OS X back in the day and was how you configured/managed your internet connections. You could save the configurations and that was the icon that was placed on them.

apps.jpg

sierra-wireless-internet-connect.png

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Might as well bash each other around. The same old Lion rumors, Mac Pro rumors and Retina noise are really getting boring. Let's be honest, there is nothing real to talk about. When these products get released there will actually be something to talk about. Until then it's just one "expert" with an agenda against another "expert" with an agenda.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
People will get over it, and we'll probably keep seeing the Ethernet plug as an icon for Internet for a while, even if it gets outdated on laptops, simply because it's very representative networks and the Internet.

After all, we're still saving by clicking on a floppy icon, Mail's icon is a stamp, Logic's icon is a vinyl record, Page's icon is a dip pen, Safari's icon is an analog compass, Find my iPhone's icon is an old-school radar and the iPhone's phone app icon looks like a wired phone from the 80s, just to name a few...

Well put.

On topic, even how small of an update the OS appears to be, I'm still quite excited. Reminders, notification center, more iCloud integration, and most importantly AirPlay straight from the Mac desktop are all reasons I will definitely get ML.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.