Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Caveat, the box for a stainless steel refurbished model sold by Apple is identical to the aluminium/sport edition. I found out last week when I bought a refurbished Stainless Steel (white sport band) Series 2 from Apple. Also, the box only included the watch and the USB magnetic charger (no AC adapter). *sigh*

I've bought other refurb stuff from Apple before and it's pretty typical that refurbs don't get the fancy packaging of new items. But most people likely don't keep the packaging for long. I don't remember if the watch originally came with an AC adapter, though. (Mine's a launch-day series 0 38mm stainless).

Reactions: jcshas

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
This is true, I have the first gen Apple Watch but I wasn't going to buy the Nike one just for the band but I do run so being able to buy the band separately is great. I just hope the bands are supported going forward, I plan to upgrade to the 3rd generation and hope that the bands I've brought for my first gen also work.
Now they just need a watch face store so we can get the Nike faces, too.
[doublepost=1490163935][/doublepost]
As much as I would like to believe you - just no...

I've tried a lot of different Amazon bands and all with great reviews. This is just some of the observations I've had compared to my Apple Classic Buckle:

Stitching sucks and isn't even close to the original in consistency and refinement
The adapters isn't as smooth and great fitting at all
The durability of the leather just isn't there and it quickly starts to show it really isn't real leather or at least real leather all the way through.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Apple all of the sudden is the only great producer of leather in this world, of course not, but the attention to detail is sky high and the quality of the materials great (even the sports bands are MILES ahead of the fake).

If you want great leather bands and don't like Apples offerings, I would suggest a great set of adapters and get a lovely 22 mm. leather strap - stay far far away from the Amazon junk - I've tried and been disappointed with a lot of them, but that's what 10-20 bucks gives you
To be fair, the original classic buckle kinda sucked (no stitching, no inner lining, not enough holes). It has gotten better with each successive update. I like the new buckle/clasp.

Hope the Series 3 keeps the same connector design (I assume it will), but bummer about them streamlining the SKUs as I was going to pick up a link bracelet when I do upgrade (unless I go Hermes).

Reactions: jjm3

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
My wife has a 38mm Series 0 and uses the longer band option with the original silicone band. It wasn't obvious when we bought the watch that the silicone is the only type of band she'll be able to use as they don't put the long option in with any of the other styles of band. This really is penny pinching, especially when, as you say they are charging £/$50 for a bit of nylon webbing!!

its not obvious because... its not true. the woven nylon band covers basically the entire range of the sports bands (125mm to 195mm vs 130mm to 200mm for the sports bands) without needing to have two different pieces to allow for such a range (because the excess doesn't tuck into the inside of the band, it is possible to make a much wider range of holes than with the sport bands)

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
To be fair, the original classic buckle kinda sucked (no stitching, no inner lining, not enough holes). It has gotten better with each successive update. I like the new buckle/clasp.

Yes they have updated them pretty well over the years - I only have first hand experience with the 3rd gen (newest until yesterday) and that's pretty great

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I would imagine Apple make more from Watch bands than they do from iPad sales.
Not even close. Bands are part of the 'Other' category which includes the Apple Watch, as well as the Apple TV, iPods, Beats-branded products and other accessories.

pie.png

Reactions: xDKP

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Not even close. Bands are part of the 'Other' category which includes the Apple Watch, as well as the Apple TV, iPods, Beats-branded products and other accessories.

pie.png

Isn't that a chart showing *sales*, not profits?

Reactions: bluespark

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
its not obvious because... its not true. the woven nylon band covers basically the entire range of the sports bands (125mm to 195mm vs 130mm to 200mm for the sports bands) without needing to have two different pieces to allow for such a range (because the excess doesn't tuck into the inside of the band, it is possible to make a much wider range of holes than with the sport bands)
It is true, we bought a woven Nylon band and it didn't fit, no matter what was written on the packaging. We tried some others with the same results. Apple refunded us.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK

pie.png
That's revenue not actual profit. The profit may actually be far more for 'other' than for 'iPad Net Sales,' and I suspect Apple is making quite a lot due to the continuing refresh of watch bands. I would imagine the profit margin on a band and watch is much much higher than on an iPad.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
My local store doesn't get them in till tomorrow, but I've been eyeing that blue. Sold on it now that I've seen a real picture.

... and now they say Monday for shipping and pickup. Guess they're fairly popular.

sinophilia

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
Italy
My local store doesn't get them in till tomorrow, but I've been eyeing that blue. Sold on it now that I've seen a real picture.

I really like it. Please note that the color looks lighter and brighter in the pictures - its actually a bit more subdued.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
It is true, we bought a woven Nylon band and it didn't fit, no matter what was written on the packaging. We tried some others with the same results. Apple refunded us.

really odd. does she use one of the last two holes on the M/L band?

christo747

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
Kiel Beach, Germany
Why in heavens name is there no grey/dark grey sports band? Why make nearly every device in space grey but a band, no! I've been waiting and waiting and just can't understand it. Don't Apples own employees want grey bands? - And funny, even the Chinese are too stupid to make one. They just copy Apples colors.

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Why in heavens name is there no grey/dark grey sports band? Why make nearly every in space grey but a band, no! I've been waiting and waiting and just can't understand it. Don't Apples own employees want grey bands? - And funny, even the Chinese are too stupid to make one. They just copy Apples colors.

"Everyone knows grey is autumnal, fool" - Angela Ahrendts

Reactions: Dino F

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Got my Pollen Nylon this morning - on a series 2 space aluminum.
[doublepost=1490302340][/doublepost]
I love nylon bands, I find them more comfortable than my leather ones. I wanted a blue one and BOOM! They made a new version :)

View attachment 693149 View attachment 693148

I really like the blue. I plan on picking up that one and the other new colors that I don't have just yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 82
Reactions: jjm3

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Was really hoping we'd see some new leather loop options. I have one in Midnight Blue and it is by far my favorite band.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Agreed. I can't use any of them so far because I don't have a 42mm watch. I'm not sure what the holdup is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.