Apple Watch Outsold All Competing Smartwatches Combined Last Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 1, 2018.

1. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

You tried to correct replacing iWatch with A-Watch, but you clearly never owned an Apple Watch. Every real owner knows the name of the product.

2. MarkB786, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018

MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

That's an old habit. I still call it an iWatch when talking about it to others face to face. I have owned two (still have the S2). Ask away about the watch and you will see. I can even send you a pic if you're stubborn. It's sitting in a drawer at home next to my idle 7 Plus, needing to be eBay'ed.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I disagree. They are all multifunction devices worn as a watch.
    A Swiss Watch is just a watch. A collectible, something different entirely with one main function.

4. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

BTW, you can use the Gear watches with an iPhone (not sure how good the app is, however).

5. rowspaxe macrumors 68020

rowspaxe

Nobody cares about smartwatches. It is a niche market that is not going anywhere

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Except an Apple watch won't work with my Nexus and my Nixon only sort of works with an iPhone. You can compare the market as a whole but not say a gear with an AW

7. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Or it's the start of the smart wearable market which is going everywhere.

8. CLS1 macrumors member

One of the best purchases I made was my AW2 (SS). Being in the healthcare field I can not begin to tell you how convenient it is for me being able to just glance at my wrist and see who is calling/texting/emailing, etc. Not having to rip of my gloves( or any PPE), or being in a meeting, makes this purchase one of my favorites.

9. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

The whole market is down...

10. saxman211 macrumors regular

saxman211

That's sad to hear. The applewatch should definitely last longer that 3 years. Have you updated it?

11. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

I work in a department of six people. Four have Apple Watch and one has Android Wear. There are several other people in the company that have Apple Watches, not sure about Android.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2018 ---
    S0 was the first model, people show know by now the risks of buy Version 1 of Apple hardware.

12. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

This is a market Apple has been able to corner much like the iPad took out all other tablets. I do wonder if they'll ever be able to do the same with the Homepod. The others seem quite well equipped so far.

Just picked up a Series 3 recently, very good watch have to say.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't think Android Wear is going to make any real market penetration with the largest Android handset maker has their own watch that runs their own operating system. Once you pull Samsung out of the Android mix the high end of Android gets very small and I imagine only the people into tech and have the budget for a flagship phone are buying Android smart watches.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

With your fallacious statement above, then clearly you don’t own an Apple Watch. Because if your had, you would not be making that statement knowingly how the Apple watch has grown exponentially. With health related features being the focus and as a fitness tracker, the Apple Watch is the future. With Glucose monitoring likely being in the testing phase with Apple Watch, that will be a breakthrough by itself. Perhaps it would behoove you to actually make a fair assessment before making any false assertions because of something you don’t approve of.

15. coolfactor macrumors 601

Yah, I'll never forget this one...

16. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

It is what happens when you keep spying eyes away. Same with iPad, competition in tablet market is lame, they are barely getting bits and pieces off the market. If it just was that way with iPhone...this world would be much better place.

17. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Samsung watches can actually be used with an iPhone.

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But it's limited

19. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Yep. Ballmer did not have the gift of vision. But even Bill Gates, very early on, said something like "(no on will ever need more than 4 KB of memory on their computer.)"
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2018 ---
    I'm sure you're right. I have not tried it, but may play with it on my idle 7 Plus and report back (as long as it doesn't screw up my current Gear settings!).

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

@Rhonindk brought it up, he fairly recently switched sides. I don't really like Samsung enough to spend the money to try it out.

21. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I am happy to see these numbers. I bought a first generation watch on day one despite everyone telling me it is useless. Now I see 3 out of 5 people wearing Apple Watches in the office. It can only get better from here...

22. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

To your "not liking Samsung"... There is still a mystique and coolness surrounding Apple that Samsung has not overcome, so i get it. I am VERY happy with my switch to Samsung, so I suggested at work that at an upcoming trade show we give away a Samsung tablet rather than an iPad. The reaction was unanimous (from both Apple and Samsung users in the meeting), that it was not a good idea (and it even felt awkward when it came out of my mouth). Apple feels cool, and Samsung feels relatively stodgy. That's a testament to Apple's genius and staying power (for now).

23. gsurf123 macrumors regular

The more telling number on this will be the average selling price. The Apple Watch is competing in a market where all of the other products are significantly cheaper and some less than $100. Once again Apple proves the money is at the high end and not the bottom where the margins are so low there is no room left for innovation.

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I gave one (S3) as a present to my wife (I don’t have one). She told me to bring it back because “it’s useless.” I told her to try it just for a few days. Now she can’t live without it. She told me - multiple times - it’s the best present I gave her in the past few years.

25. gatearray macrumors 65816