Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeatherWeasel

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2019
Des Moines, Iowa

Apple plans to release so-called "Apple Watch Series X" and third-generation Apple Watch SE models with larger displays in 2024, according to research shared last week by David Hsieh, an analyst at technology research firm Omdia.

f1662570472.jpg

In his research note, Hsieh claimed that the Series X will have 1.89-inch and 2.04-inch display size options, which would be 5% to 10% larger than the Apple Watch Series 8 depending on the case size. These measurements apply to the rectangular display panel, but since the Apple Watch has rounded bezels, the actual viewable area is less.

"Apple Watch Series X" would be similar branding as the iPhone X, but the name is not confirmed. Hsieh is likely using the "Series X" name as a placeholder based on the fact that the model is expected to be the 10th-generation Apple Watch. The original Apple Watch was introduced in September 2014 and released in April 2015.

As for the third-generation Apple Watch SE, Hsieh expects the device to have the same display sizes as the Apple Watch Series 8. If the new Apple Watch SE adopts the same slimmer bezels as the Series 8, this means it would be available in 41mm and 45mm case sizes, compared to 40mm and 44mm for the current Apple Watch SE. He also expects this year's Apple Watch Series 9 to retain the same display sizes as the Series 8.

In line with analysts Ross Young and Jeff Pu, Hsieh believes the next-generation Apple Watch Ultra will feature a larger 2.13-inch display when measured as a rectangle. The current Apple Watch Ultra's display measures 1.99 inches rectangularly.

Article Link: Apple Watch 'Series X' and Apple Watch SE 3 With Larger Displays Rumored to Launch Next Year
How about Apple producing watch bands for those of us with big wrists.

Reactions: Crowbot

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Depending on how you look at things this will in fact be the 10th generation. The first model didn't have a suffix, but for gen 2 they released both the Series 1 and Series 2. So, the original is often called Series 0 nowadays.
This year it's 8th gen, last year it was 7th gen, the year before it was 6th gen. The year before it was 5th gen, you see how this is going?

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Big Jump in price. Larger screen, thicker. Serious innovation!.
Basically the same watch since the last few years.
All the rumors about glucose, blood pressure monitoring, etc. are just not coming in these 10 years. Lack of tech, science or plain lack of desire to bring those due to no competition?. Is this the best Apple can do?. Well, it seems.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Why call the 9th gen X one more time?

9 is bad luck.

Some companies like Palm and Psion skipped 4 because a CEO thought it was bad luck and his grand children would be born with five legs if he used the number 4.

karranz

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Ultra iPad pro, ultra Mac, ultra MacBook Pro, ultra Pro iPhone max, ultra ultra watch... that's what is coming folks! upselling apple in full control.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
I want a round Apple Watch. And please do not tell me square is better for information display. While it may be true I do not read books, emails or anything longer than a short text on my Watch. For that I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Microsoft may say something about this… if it was Apple they’d be suing the hell out of them for using s name like they.
They may try, but (in a not corporate controlled “justice” system) good luck explaining to a judge how a name in an entirely different product category is infringement.

I haven’t looked into it, but I doubt Microsoft copyright or trademark for Series X has been applied to the wearables product category when they filed it for a gaming device.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I was in same camp but shattered my screen doing something stupid. The Ultra is amazing. Really like it.
I’ve been tempted by the Ultra as Costco have it for £700 (£150 off). But it is massively overkill for my needs….

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
What is it about the uppercase letter X that Apple just can’t resist?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
It’s easier to upsell when the product lineup is difficult to understand.

How do you upsell an operating system?

Don’t agree on the hardware upsell, as even a coherent nomenclature doesn’t preclude that. Further, by using a release year in the name, this puts a psychological pressure on customers to upgrade a la FOMO.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I’ve got a Series 4 and was planning on going to the Series 8 until they released the Ultra. In considering for my use case the Ultra seemed like overkill so I decided against moving to it and now we’re far enough into the release cycles that it seems like waiting for the Series 9 makes the most sense but now we get word of a redesigned Ultra in 2024 with new display technology along with this news of a Series X in 2024 so do I go ahead and move the 8 anyway knowing I’ll probably upgrade again in 2024, wait for the 9 and forgo the 2024 upgrade altogether or just stick with the Series 4 until 2024? Decisions, decisions…. especially since the Series 4 is still in great shape and works well for me. If I knew what additional sensors might be in the 2024 model(s) like a blood pressure sensor, that would make the decision a whole lot easier because if it’s just cosmetic waiting for the 9 probably makes the most sense at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.