Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twilo

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
That estimated battery life is with the battery at optimal capacity and performance, and as we all know the current gen batteries start to deteriorate over time, especially if you let them drain completely, which is probably what's going to happen to a lot of those things out there...

I dunno.. I am just very skeptical about all these "wearables" using lithium ion batteries in general, and in this case even more considering some of those price points.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
That works fine for me! I'll be doing heavy usage on the phone itself, which I might just end up buying a mophie for. I'll be mostly using my Apple Watch for notifications, not playing games on, or even apps.

Gamewave

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2013
My concern isn't the charging or the usage, both very acceptable, my concern is that it will take up another outlet. Now we will have a charger for our phones and our watch. Apple needs to do a dual usb charging brick or a single cable with a lightning connector and apple watch charger.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Eh,
I think they shoulda thought of a better battery life solution. All-week battery life would have been nice... Heck, they coulda thought of something ingenious like "Shake to recharge it" or something like that..

Agree. 700% increase. No big deal.

I don't see why my 150 mph car can't just do 1,050 mph. They should have thought of a solution. More speed would be so nice...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Right because I spend so much time in threads about products I have no intention of buying. :rolleyes:

No - not from you. Just your comment could easily apply to almost every thread on here.

Many (I don't want to say most) of the people that complain about Amazon, Samsung, Motorola, etc aren't ever going to buy their products (the ones posted about) - yet they complain anyway.

Why would or should this be any different?

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
I've never heard so much complaining in my life, and the product isn't even out yet.

We will find out in a few days if any of these reports from "reliable sources" is even remotely close to the truth. Or just click & baits basically.

After Monday, I will find out if I should visit this site or 9to5Mac or Techcrunch etc ever again.

I survived without these sites breaking news and was able to purchase & enjoy my iGadgets starting launch day during the good old days. Not really sure why I am so obsessd or cannot function without checking these sites - just to get info ahead of general public? Most people around me, do not care. :D

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
The report also claims that the Apple Watch will only deliver notifications while worn on the wrist. The smartwatch will not ping you for notifications without being in contact with skin so that the device is not disruptive at unnecessary times.

That may have just sold it for me; that's my only complaint about my Pebble.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Am i the only one who thinks the title of the article is going to be confusing?

"Only Delivers Notifications While on the Wrist"

I interpreted this as, while on the wrist, thats the only thing it could do!

i was like WHUHHHH?!?!?! you mean games, or all the other features must make me take the watch OFF first?

i'm glad i read the rest of the article :p

----------

Do me a favor: Shake your wrist for 10 seconds and then tell me what you think of that idea.

Kinetic energy charging is a reality in many normal watches, and it does not require you sitting there shaking your wrist.

TS19

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
Sorry if I'm being stupid, but why do people have such a problem with charging a device every day? This applies to phones as well. As long as it lasts the day, that's fine IMO. What damage is charging it overnight going to cause?

Many people have plug sockets in their bedrooms anyway so it's not like you couldn't access it in an emergency.

:confused:

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
To be fair, the iPhone 6 leaks and mock ups reports nailed it, lol. That's why I am here all the time, few weeks before AW launch.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Kinetic energy charging is a reality in many normal watches, and it does not require you sitting there shaking your wrist.

Yup, the only thing is that normal watches have a much lower current demand than the Apple Watch. I have no doubt that Apple prototyped and experimented with kinetic charging however.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

Yes, watches that take milliwatts to operate.

Given the way power efficiency scales, this will be the norm for smart watches in 5 years, but certainly not anytime soon. The energy harvested is nowhere near what would be needed.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
man, i really want to get one...but the only a day battery life is concerning. prob going to wait for real world users to report back on how battery actually plays out.

I imagine the main features of the next version (Apple Watch S?) will be a thinner design and a longer battery life.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Yup, the only problem is that normal watches have a much lower current demand. I have no doubt that Apple experimented with kinetic charging however.

no doubt. I don't think it coudl be a suitable solution just yet. maybe whenthings get even smaller and more efficient, we'll see some forms of "alternate charging methods" to help offset the standard battery charging.

two common technologies in use right now by watch makers are Kinetic motion and light based charging.

way too low a power for now, but remember, we're also only in gen1 of the smartwatch era. they're using general purpose CPU's and basically trying to shoehorn technology from your phones into the watch.

as we move forward, I think we'll start to see chips that are designed even more specific for this use (if sales are sufficient to warrant that sort of investment)

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada
I dont see why its takes 2 hours to charge a little tiny miniscule battery.
An iphone can charge upto 80% in an hour and thats a massive battery.
Or what about that Motorola phone that lasts upto 8 hours after a 15min charge.
I mean come on, we are talking about a watch battery here..How slowly does it need to be charged?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.