Apple Watch vs Rolex

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by r0k, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

While true to some extent, if you google a certain Swiss brand, then you will that there can be many headaches. For example, google "Tag and Crown issues". From last i heard, Tag REFUSES to fix a design/manufacturing defect that is widespread and basically affects most Tags.

From link above i posted on Rolex 3135 review, you can see that the 10 year service interval is impossible when the post for which the heavy rotor rotates is too weak and over time causes damage to other components. But the marketing of 10 years service intervals makes Rolex very attractive to non-watch fanatics!

Or go to Omega forums and ask about inability for (formerly) prized co-axial caliber 2500 to restart or sticky date problem on its 8500 (suffer personally) that apparently can't be fixed in my case after 2 visits to factory!

I can go on and on. I am still a fanatic for watches...but not everything is rosy on the other side of the fence! :)
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2017 ---
    And the more costly!!! Repair of a damaged Rolex movements can run into the THOUSANDS if left unchecked.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

FIFY.

(point being, there's no reason that a mechanical watch must be "high end".. nor is there any reason that "high end" watches must be mechanical...)

3. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

The reason I say High end, is because I have a $75 Invicta that serves me well (looks like a 5 digit Submariner), since I only wear my Rolex on special occasions. At $75, I do not see myself servicing the watch (at a cost much more than the value of the watch). This will be a disposable mechanical watch, wear it until it dies.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Right, but the point you made is, a mechanical watch will damage itself over time, which is true no matter how cheap the watch is.

5. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Correct.

6. richard371 macrumors 68020

I had this happen to a sub years ago running fast. All it needed was to be degaussed which any watchmaker should be able to do. They don't need to open the watch and it only takes a few seconds.

7. Thai, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

While maybe true, the problem was that the increased rate was gradual, not suddenly one day it was fast. Second issue was that the date wheel was acting funny. It eventually stopped turning with the crown. And i take good care of my Rolex too. Oh well, maybe i just have bad luck.

But, like the link i posted above regarding Rolex Caliber 3135, it has inherent weakness(es) that can be a huge problem if not serviced regularly.

8. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Not sure if everyone knows this...but COSC certification ONLY is good for the 1st year of ownership. But if a watch sits there for a year or two in the showroom (which can happen with luxury watches!), then that COSC certification is about as useful as the toilet paper i used this morning.

9. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

10. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

A banned user with nick "Thai" stood corrected providing this same false information in Watchuseek Forum in 2010.
    The COSC Certification is valid for the life of the movement.
    Here you go.

11. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

The cert is for when the movement was tested at COSC factory. True. You can make an argument with OEM that your watch does not fall within COSC certification within first year or so and they will adjust it for your for FREE. My brother did that on his Rolex. BUT, you cannot make the same argument...say a year or so after warranty expires.

OK, so, you're telling me that you can get Omega to adjust your Omega for FREE after warranty expires because it is +10 seconds fast? Good luck with that.

12. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Good reading: http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/accuracy.shtml

"A chronometer certificate is not a guarantee of future accuracy. Watch movements that have been certified can get out of adjustment and perform poorly. Movements that were not certified may still exceed the COSC standards--the manufacturer may simply have simply chosen to bypass the expense of the certification process."

The certification is for the movement being tested in a lab OUTSIDE of its case. Once the movement goes back to Rolex/Omega/Tag, then it is put into the case. Some OEMs (Rolex and Omega for example) re-adjust the movement AFTER it gets back from COSC and after it has been assembled into the case. Others (such as lower cost COSC watches) are not adjusted once they get back to factory for assembly into the case...so, therefore, the certification is basically pure marketing to the consumer...and guarantees nothing.

So, you're right that it is not even one year! :D

13. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I am telling you to read the relevant thread in Watchuseek.
    I would not be surprised if it seemed familiar to you.
    The essence of the same question raised by a banned user "Thai" in Watchuseek Forum:

"I don't have my warranty card, but i believe that COSC warranty is only for ONE YEAR from the date of purchase of a new watch."
    (by Thai)

"First things first... There is no such thing as a COSC Warranty... Its a Certification. I have COSC Certificates for about 5 of my Chronometers and not one of them says anything like 'Valid until...' or anything else to that effect. This Certification is valid for the life of the movement so certified. If at some time it drifts out of spec then it can be regulated back into spec."
    (by ddata)

"You know...i stand corrected. I swear that i read that somewhere, but i can't find any info on that on my rolex. My Omega HV was bought via closeout sale and did not have the cards that came with it.
    Anyway, sorry about the bad info.
    ..."
    (by Thai)

"- How long is a chronometer title valid ?
    The title of chronometer can be compared to a diploma from a specialized school. At a given time of his life, a candidate has proven, thanks to an exam, that he had met with the performances criteria providing him with that title.
    In the same way as for a graduate, this title has been granted to him for his entire life, although his performances may slightly get altered within the years
    ."
    (by Thai)

"Thank you.
    That supports exactly what I was saying".
    (by ddata)

No comment.

14. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

And yet you still think that COSC means something for the life of the movement.... :D

Difference b/w it and a "diploma" is that diploma is lasting...COSC is not.

So, the same question that you're avoiding...IF your watch falls out of COSC beyond warranty, then will your watch manufacturer re-adjust it for free? No.

Explain to me how a COSC cert is valid for the LIFE OF THE MOVEMENT.

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

All the answers are in the Watchuseek thread mentioned above a number of times.
    Don't be afraid to read it and refresh your memory.

16. Thai, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017

Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

LOL...ok...didn't think that you could back it up. Thanks.

BTW, any mechanical movement can be brought under COSC specs...it is just a matter of opening up your wallet. And outside of warranty on a "COSC-watch", you need to open up your wallet as well. There is no "lifetime" anything.

[​IMG]

So, how different is COSC vs. a top grade ETA movement? And how long is this "guarantee"? LOL

17. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

We can continue for eternity.
    There is no need "to back" anything up as it has already been done in the quoted Forum.
    Once again, to face you with the words familiar to you from the Watchuseek Forum:

"You know...i stand corrected. I swear that i read that (i.e. "COSC warranty is only for ONE YEAR") somewhere, but i can't find any info on that on my rolex. My Omega HV was bought via closeout sale and did not have the cards that came with it.
    ..."
    (by Thai)

The title of chronometer can be compared to a diploma from a specialized school. At a given time of his life, a candidate has proven, thanks to an exam, that he had met with the performances criteria providing him with that title.
    In the same way as for a graduate, this title has been granted to him for his entire life, although his performances may slightly get altered within the years
    ."
    (by Thai)

18. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

As expected, you fail to answer. LOL A certificate that is useless.

In other news: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...g-englewood-armed-robbery-20170517-story.html

"According to the watch press, this year’s Baselworld in Switzerland was a graveyard. “The Baselworld show, ended March 30, was grim,” said Joe Thompson in Watchtime Magazine, an enthusiast publication. In short, a once might industry is contracting at an alarming rate.

A further harbinger of death is far simpler to understand. Swiss exports have fallen for the third year in a row. This hasn’t happened since 1930, in the depths of the Depression.

Experts attribute the fall to a few factors. First, American imports have fallen 28% as more and more people abandon watches or settle on Apple Watches. Overproduction and overpricing are forcing watches into the gray market and younger people don’t want to buy watches at official sellers, instead choosing to go online.

“If, however, 2017 turns out to be one of those almost unheard of back-to-back-to-back slowdowns, then the Swiss watch industry will need painful medicine to cure what ails it,” said Thompson. That medicine comes in the form of closures, lay-offs, and a wholesale change in the way watches are made and sold. And it’s long overdue."

19. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

How long shall I hold a mirror to your face?
    How long will you keep ignoring exactly the same Watchuseek Forum conversation started by a certain banned user named Thai?

20. Thai, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017

Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Wow...someone got banned?! Ooooohhhhh...maybe search why that person got banned first. :D

Again, to emphasize, COSC cert is USELESS. It is marketing. It does not mean much as the watch gets cased at factory and definitely as it ages with wear & tear. The newer standards by Rolex and Omega are great because they adjust them AFTER they are cased...at least, that means something to the customer. That COSC cert means nothing...and OEMs won't give a rat's ass about it after standard warranty expires. Sorry dude. It's OK to keep focusing on me...but that still does not change the fact that COSC cert is useless and pure marketing.

Feel free to use the mirror on yourself or anyone else, but it won't help make your point dude.

And as the article above shown, Swiss is hurting BADLY from Apple Watch. My household reflects this. YMMV. COSC certification won't save Swiss! :D

21. Ulenspiegel, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

You have to search for "dudes" in a different circle of acquaintances.
    This is your mirror shown to you numerous times:

"You know...i stand corrected. I swear that i read that (i.e. "COSC warranty is only for ONE YEAR") somewhere, but i can't find any info on that on my rolex. My Omega HV was bought via closeout sale and did not have the cards that came with it.
    ..." (SIC!)

(by Thai, Watchuseek Forum, "Running Out of COSC - what would you do?", October 3rd, 2010, post #18)

In the same way as for a graduate,
    this title has been granted to him for his entire life, although his performances may slightly get altered within the years."

(by Thai, Watchuseek Forum, "Running Out of COSC - what would you do?", October 3rd, 2010, post #19)

Look at yourself and get acquainted with your own views.

22. Thai, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

I stand corrected about the one year. It is not even one year. Lol. It's not even a warranty! My bad. It's even worst than what I wrote!

Read up on how COSC does its testings. No difference than what ETA does with its top movement.

COSC is not diploma. Sorry. No matter how much you repost it. It is not. Ask a watchmaker what it means when he charges $300-500 to service your watch!! Lol.

With diploma, you always have the basic knowledge and from there you grow. COSC is not like that. There is no advancement. There is just rapid decline in "knowledge" just right after achieving it. it is not retained knowledge. And every 3-5 years (for most quality mechanicals) or less, you need to re-train that "knowledge" at your own cost.

Get it now dude (or dudes given Relentless Power)? You overpaid for a little tag!! Stop trying to rationalized a marketing scheme!

23. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It might've escaped your attention for the third time that I've been citing your own words.

24. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

And for the 4th (5th? 6th?) time, you missed my point...heck you did not even miss the boat, you miss the freaking highway exit to the dock! :D

25. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

I can see a lot of people 'Unwatching' and turning off notifications for this thread...