Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
How long before what happened to the iPhone marketshare happens to the Apple Watch?
Of course Apple is more interested in profits, but I'm almost expecting Android based watches to take over some day.
Nobody really cares about this. Just buy what you like.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
RE: "Apple shipped an estimated 5.7 million smart watches worldwide during the quarter,"

F-- grade !

5.7M units would be fine for a company with a market cap of $100M or so.

But NOT for AAPL, & certainly NOT when it's Tim Cook's crowning achievement ... one would expect a much better number, 10x better (per Qtr) !

FontGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Ouch FitBit. At this rate I'm going to have to jump ship to Garmin.

BTW... not a hater post. I want an Apple Watch, but the battery life makes it impossible for those of us with sleep disorders who need sleep tracking.

Here’s an idea: just charge your watch for about 45 min - 1 hr before going to bed. It works well for me, and that’s pretty much all the time it takes to charge it. That way I can track my sleep and use the watch throughout the day.

house13um

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2015
How is it living under a rock?

jk.

I see them everywhere I go... everywhere. It was much different when the S0 launched; I felt like I had the only one for a long time. Right around the S1 they started to become much mire prolific IMO.

Agreed, I see them all the time when I go out shopping, at work, at the doctors office, etc. I find that I see more people with an Apple Watch than people without watches altogether, but I live in a higher income area of town, and I wouldn’t doubt that that plays a part in their abundance.

Reactions: Dormammu

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018

BTW... not a hater post. I want an Apple Watch, but the battery life makes it impossible for those of us with sleep disorders who need sleep tracking.

huh? My Apple Watch series 3 gets 2 days battery life, and I use it for heart rate monitoring when I sleep. Surely you don't sleep that long. Or maybe you don't update your thinking since the first version? Or the sleep monitoring app you are talking about uses a lot of battery?

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I've never seen an iWatch, but I've seen quite a lot of people wearing Apple Watches. There are many millions out there, not 7. You say it would be actually useful if it was round, but you admit rectangular is more functional? I'm not sure if you know how the words useful and functional relate to each other. "No one cares about health" sounds a lot like you projecting your opinion on everyone else - clearly, quite a lot of people care about health. I haven't heard Apple shoving health in your face or shaming you. If you feel threatened by seeing an ad somewhere, that's on you.

Maybe he didn't read the article, or maybe the millions were confusing
[doublepost=1565146659][/doublepost]
Not a hater...but the Apple Watch just has no compelling reason for me right now:

1. $400+
  2. Tied to my iPhone
  3. Poor battery life

I love:
  1. Cool watch faces
  2. text alerts and missed calls
  3. nice looking watch (but even that depends on what you pay for)
  4. Current and likely upcoming health detection features
For me watches are style and function. I have a fantastic Victorinox watch I bought for $160 on sale instead of $400+. When Apple fixes my 3 main issues and drops the price to $200 I'll consider the move to a "smart watch". The main draw for me for a smart watch would be if/what healthcare features are available.

I think in the near future we will have something we can wrap around our wrist and monitor (accurately) over a dozen health features and be able to a)transmit that easily to our doctor and b)be able to easily and quickly download the data and summary/pretty pie charts/history for me and my doctor (and an EMT if I'm being carted away in an ambulance and they want to know what my body was doing the previous 20 hours) to make informed decisions.

let me think, really hard, an idea is coming almost here....here it is: "if you don't want one, don't get one". Shazam!

Battery life. Yah 2 days is horrible battery life. Now I know marathoners need more specialized watches, or to turn off continuous heart beat monitoring, but. that is a niche.

OLSinFLA

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2016
No offense to the 7 people who own an iWatch, much like the 3 people who own the iHomePod, but is this even still a thing? I haven’t seen a single person wearing an iWatch in public. First, this thing would actually be useful if it was round. Don’t care if rectangle is more functional. Circle looks nicer. Second, no one cares about health. Americans are massively obese by choice. Stop shoving health in my face, stupid Apple. I like eating McDonald’s every day, that’s my choice, stop shaming me.
Walking through one of our theme parks I counted just for amusement. I stopped at over 100

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
As someone who had the Gen 1 Watch the day it came out... yeah it was bad. The speed was atrocious and first party apps took ages load. Third party apps literally didn’t load at all.

Despite this, they’ve grown consistently every year and become the number 1 smartwatch with nearly half the market share. That’s quite impressive when you think about how limited the original watch was.

limited, but consistent with what anyone else could put on a watch. it is a tiny box to put batteries, radios, antennas, screens and electronics.
[doublepost=1565146989][/doublepost]
How do they define "smart watch"?
It that a device that cost over $200 or allows apps or is larger than 30mm?

I'm really pleased with my Samsung Galaxy Fit and it even has a clock. :p
Walmart has a good price and battery life is great.

timex used to make a good one, you could probably find one in a thrift store - save a lot of money
[doublepost=1565147051][/doublepost]
Oh well apple still ships 2.5 x the numer of units thatbsamsung does, realarive groth rates might be missleading when the starting points are so different

Now if Samsung just makes a good product, they might catch up, lets do the math, hmmmmm, never unless they increase the gain on unit sales

Verita

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Atlanta/London
No offense to the 7 people who own an iWatch, much like the 3 people who own the iHomePod, but is this even still a thing? I haven’t seen a single person wearing an iWatch in public. First, this thing would actually be useful if it was round. Don’t care if rectangle is more functional. Circle looks nicer. Second, no one cares about health. Americans are massively obese by choice. Stop shoving health in my face, stupid Apple. I like eating McDonald’s every day, that’s my choice, stop shaming me.

Haven’t seen one? Looks like your health choices are affecting your vision. Put your affairs in order.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
huh? My Apple Watch series 3 gets 2 days battery life, and I use it for heart rate monitoring when I sleep.

A full 48 hours or approaching 48 hours? How old is your AW3? If I knew an AW3 could get close to 2 days, I might have one now.

I wear my Apple Watch Series 4 to bed every night. Its battery lasts 2 days for me, easy. ...I don't know how long ago you heard battery life on the Apple Watch was poor, but you have old information.

Well that's interesting and encouraging. I've been going off of Apple's product info. For some reason, they only rate it at "up to 18 hours"?

Do you do anything special to extend the battery life (like use it with ultra low brightness)?

Capto_Capture 2019-08-06_08-14-56_PM.jpg

Honest question...how does tracking help your disorder?

It's a huge benefit for me because because I actually have a circadean rhythm disorder. Accurate sleep logs help me plan ahead so I'm able to get enough rest.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

I only need to charge my Apple Watch once per day while I take a shower and get ready in the morning. It tracks me literally over 23 hours of everyday. I don’t really want to wear it in the shower and not necessary while eating breakfast. This is a much smarter use case and solution. It doesn’t take many hours or cause a ripple to simply use the product and get all of the benefits of it. The Apple Watch and AirPods are the only two products by Apple I am completely happy with right now.

I hate the notch (symmetry is what defines beauty) on the iPhone more than anything, the MacBook Pros have garbage touchbars, terrible throttling due to poor design, and horrific keyboard travel not even considering the failure rate.

The iPad Pro is a great product but horrible value. I bought one, but for literally 1/5 the price I got a cellular Tab S4 that has almost as much display size for watching Netflix videos as a 12.9” iPad Pro due to the poor 4:3 screen ratio of the iPads. The value isn’t there. It’s not worth 5x as much money. It just isn’t. It’s a great product but not at 5x. HomePod is nice but not great. AppleTV is okay. In my opinion, Apple has lost its way looking only to grow services and wearables.

Now I have a Samsung Note 9 and S10+ 5G. Where is Apple’s game with its primary breadwinner, stuck in the past. No worries, I am an idiot stuck loving Apple and have a XS Max that has worse battery life than the other phones even with the battery case sold by Apple. It’s just that bad.

Oh, I hear the six-color logo is making a comeback - stuck in the past as there are no visionaries left at Apple. AppleTV+, way too late to the game. Apple Card, a gimmick. Any small company can have their own branded credit card.

Apple is being smoked by Huawei and sizzled by Samsung. Seriously, I saw a Huawei Honor 10 Lite for $120. Dual SIM, either 401 or 441 PPI LCD that looks good. Is it an iPhone? NO. But it does amazingly well with the AI Kirin chip. $120 Huawei beats Apple’s XR at LCD and is true 1080p FHD+ screen.

The Apple ecosystem is sticky, but Tim Cook’s money grab has to be nearing its end. The company has to innovate, and it’s now in the copycat business. Out of many of the things that made Apple great, and focused on growing services due to overpriced iPhones being simply ignored by the public. FaceID might be more secure, but I will take TouchID bezels and all way over the damned notch and ridiculous appearance. Apple better have way more up its sleeves than the iPhone 2019 series that is rumored. It’s garbage so out of touch with reality in the year we are in 2019.

I call on the board to look at real strategy to “Make Apple Great Again!”

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
It's amazing that there are people with enough free time that they come here and dump on a product that they don't own. In fact, they so actively dislike it that they spend their precious waking hours writing negative posts instead of doing something productive, like watching TV.

If I don't like something it's out of my attention span. Why bother thinking about, say, the Aztek, unless I see one on the road?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

This entry was a good test of whether people actually read stuff to the end, or just rush to post a reaction off the first few words.

Reactions: I7guy

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
let me think, really hard, an idea is coming almost here....here it is: "if you don't want one, don't get one". Shazam!

Battery life. Yah 2 days is horrible battery life. Now I know marathoners need more specialized watches, or to turn off continuous heart beat monitoring, but. that is a niche.

1)I already said I wasn't getting one...currently...until changes come (which I listed)
2)Battery life for a WATCH (regardless if it is SMART or not) is terrible. Especially for a 4th gen watch in mid 2019. I am not plugging my watch in every 24 or 36 hours (and isn't part of the sales pitch that it monitors my health while I sleep?...so when am I supposed to charge it?). If it had a full week or more, that's more manageable. It's not like the Watch is ubiquitous and hence there are Watch magnetic charging cables at every office, restaurant, hotel, etc. that I can borrow from a friend for a few hours. Nice cable and charging process, but until I can borrow one if I forget to charge the Watch, I have a dead watch while at work, in the car, on vacation, etc.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I always find it interesting when these reports on sales come out. Since Apple does not report watch sales figures, but the report (estimates & guesses) indicates they are good for Apple, the reports are never questioned and Apple are lauded for their performance.

When the same type of reports suggest iPhone sales are plummeting and competitors sales are rapidly growing the same reports are now just “guesses” and probably inaccurate.....funny that!

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I sleep track everyday with my watch. I just pop it into the charger for an hour or so while I shower etc. The battery charges very quickly and battery life is good enough to last me 24h even without a full charge. If the only reason you’re holding off from getting it is because of sleep tracking, I’d say go for it.

Hmm...no shower monitoring, no buy from me! jk

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
I wasn't sold on the Apple Watch at launch. Didn't make any sense to me. Didn't feel I wanted or needed one.
When the S2 model launched I saw a nice stainless steel one going cheap and I got it but only because I write Apps for a living and I wanted to try making apps for the watch.
I'm still using that same stainless steel S0 Apple Watch and I've forgotten where I put my nice, expensive, Swiss automatic that I wore and loved for years.
I'd be lost without it and I'm be lugging my phone around the house instead of leaving it on my desk and not needing to check it regularly. I'll upgrade to an S5 this fall.

Reactions: MisterSavage

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
limited, but consistent with what anyone else could put on a watch. it is a tiny box to put batteries, radios, antennas, screens and electronics.
[doublepost=1565146989][/doublepost]

timex used to make a good one, you could probably find one in a thrift store - save a lot of money
[doublepost=1565147051][/doublepost]

Now if Samsung just makes a good product, they might catch up, lets do the math, hmmmmm, never unless they increase the gain on unit sales

Well Samsung’s growth rate is far higher than Apples....and of course nobody actually knows what Apples sales are other than Apple

Reactions: GFR50

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

You can still do sleep tracking if you throw it on the charger when you wake up. At least I think so. 30 minutes and usually it’s good for the day. But I do see your point somewhat. It would be very nice to get longer battery life.
[doublepost=1565152506][/doublepost]
How fast is fast? How long does it take to get a full charge?

If I forget to charge, I put it on the charger and go get coffee and brush teeth etc. and I guess about 30 minutes and you will have 80% - enough for the day kind of thing.

Reactions: smirking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.