Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't want new iOS features. I want Apple to put a freeze on all new iOS features for a year and focus on reliability. The only updates I want are bug fixes for known/unknown issues.
Good idea in theory and in a bubble. But given that Apple operates in the real world and given that most typical users out there want something shiny and new it would be hard to do what you propose without alienating a lot of typical users in one way or another, and even after all that it still won't catch all issues and we'd be back here discussing the same things the next time something fails, which is bound to happen at some point.

Reactions: Shirasaki

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
I want what you want, but reality is what it is.

Apple has the ability to set and enact this policy from Tim and Craig as a top down directive... It chooses not to. That's a shame... and it's why we are where we are.
[doublepost=1459285009][/doublepost]
Legitimate issues aren't being dismissed. Why are you classifying my comment as such? IMO it's unfortunate that these articles turn into... "Let's complain about everything Apple" and "Apple sucks more and more" in stead of just discussing this specific issue. Complainers will complain because its a habitual behavior.

I was under the impression my comments were being dismissed by your post. If not, my apologies.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apple needs to stop adding features and start adding reliability.
Yeah, because only 99% of the code changes in iOS 9.3 were for bug fixes and performance improvements. If they had devoted the time that went into the 1% of the code changes for new features also to bug fixes they would have fixed 100 instead of 99 bugs. This would have made such a huge difference.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Good idea in theory and in a bubble, given that most typical users out there want something shiny and new it would be hard to do what you propose without alienating a lot of typical users in one way or another, and even after all that it still won't catch all issues and we'd be back here discussing the same things the next time something fails, which is bound to happen at some point.

Unfortunately, selling something with "NEW FEATURES!!!" trumps reliability at this point, and it has felled Apple.

It doesn't have to be a theory. Apple could do this if it wanted to. It chooses not to. So there it is....
[doublepost=1459285266][/doublepost]
Yeah, because only 99% of the code changes in iOS 9.3 were for bug fixes and performance improvements. If they had devoted the time that went into the 1% of the code changes for new features also to bug fixes they would have fixed 100 instead of 99 bugs. This would have made such a huge difference.

I don't know what I would have done without Night Shift until now... I love having a screen look like a nicotine stained ashtray.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apple could have anticipated that Universal Links would be an issue if the size of the set was overly large.
Sure, if you can anticipate every potential factor that could trigger bugs, you could write software without bugs.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The article is wrong - this only affects users with the Booking.com app (I had it on one of my devices affected, but luckily not the phone). Here is more detail on the bug: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/0...hes-and-link-problems-for-some-ios-9-x-users/
I'm sorry, but your link proves my point.

-Directly from the Ars article you linked (one which I read yesterday)
"At this point, if you've installed the Booking.com app (or some other app that happens to misbehave in the same way) and that association file has already been downloaded, there's no sure-fire way to fix the problem That said, Booking.com has apparently fixed the list, so users who download the app now shouldn't run into the problem."

Booking.com fixed their app and the problem still exists for other apps with overly large files. Did their app expose this behavior in the Universal Links? Absolutely. The bug is in how overly large files are handled.

Additional evidence from 9to5:http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/29/apple-ios-9-crashing-bugs-when-tapping-links-fix-software-update/
"However, Booking.com is not the only case of a developer misusing the API, so people who continue to experience bugs will also find that they have other apps installed on the system which are also registering thousands of URLs. Unfortunately, it is practically impossible to find out which apps are the misdemeanours. In terms of high-profile cases, we have heard that Wikipedia and Eat 24 are among the apps registering too many domains in their universal link directory. Sources tell us that Apple is working with high-profile developers to help them understand and better use the universal links APIs. The forthcoming software update will presumably let iOS better handle huge payloads files, rather than just crashing on the spot."

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Apple has the ability to set and enact this policy from Tim and Craig as a top down directive... It chooses not to. That's a shame... and it's why we are where we are..
And because Apple isn't run by a control freak that knows which part of the quarry his marble conference table came from, etc. It is a shame, but c'est la vie.

Reactions: IPPlanMan

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm curious to understand what was changed from the last beta to the final release to have caused this issue. I think Apple has relied too much on its outside beta testing program and has not done enough thorough internal alpha and beta tests. Who is finalising the design of Apple products-- Apple or random users in the public beta program? With Apple's resources, a whole department of testers using all combinations of devices against a combination of apps should be testing iOS to perfection. Only then release to public testers. Why the nonsense with so many multiple seeds? Ridiculous. iOS is a complex system software, so it requires fine grained internal testing to perfection first.
If you are involved in beta testing you could understand this better...
Apple is victim of its own success. There literally are hundreds of millions of iDevices out there, with different apps and settings combinations, working under different networks.
Bugs like this, affecting only a fraction of the user base, are very difficult to find.
Apple knows that, thus the public beta program trying to "hire" a larger number of beta testers.
But something could go wrong anyway.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I don't know what I would have done without Night Shift until now... I love having a screen look like a nicotine stained ashtray.
Yet you are still claiming that fixing 100 instead of 99 bugs would have made such a difference.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I don't want new iOS features. I want Apple to put a freeze on all new iOS features for a year and focus on reliability. The only updates I want are bug fixes for known/unknown issues.
Nah...I say keep the new stuff coming and hire a new wing of developers to address the bugs. Apple can afford it.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
And because Apple isn't run by a control freak that knows which part of the quarry his marble conference table came from, etc. It is a shame, but c'est la vie.

Apple needs to get back to that.
[doublepost=1459285534][/doublepost]
Yet you are still claiming that fixing 100 instead of 99 bugs would have made such a difference.

If this was the bug that was fixed, then yes, it would made a difference... But I'm still having trouble following your overall point.

Reactions: ike1707

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unfortunately, selling something with "NEW FEATURES!!!" trumps reliability at this point, and it has felled Apple.

It doesn't have to be a theory. Apple could do this if it wanted to. It chooses not to. So there it is....
[doublepost=1459285266][/doublepost]

They can do a lot of things, but they have a lot of things to consider and account for as they decide to do something. It's not as simple as it all sounds in theory.

There could be world peace if people just wanted and chose to do it. It's that simple, right?

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Give Apple some credit. It takes time to perfect code, and its not always easy to write in the first place.

Yes, they should have kept it in beta longer or worked on it more exclusively, but thats another story.
And yes, these things can appear after release rather than in the beta process.
Betas, even public betas, are exposed to a limited number of users.
Final release are exposed to hundreds of millions of people.

iOS 9.3 was kept in beta for months, it surely wasn't rushed out.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

Ah... Got it, ok... Apple could develop perfect hardware products with software that executes perfectly under all conditions for all people. If it wanted to. Why stop there? How about perfect security? How about computers with warp drive? Sadly, in your world, it chooses not to.

I can tell you're not an engineer.

Reactions: Max(IT)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
If this was the bug that was fixed, then yes, it would made a difference... But I'm still having trouble following your overall point.
The overall point being that your claim that iOS would be so much better if it only had 900 instead of 901 bugs is ludicrous.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The effect of having an overly large Universal Link set wasn't anticipated?
Seems like it might not have been. Plenty of things complex or simple have caused issues with all kinds of things in history with many not being anticipated or expected. We still have plenty of people sometimes walking around looking for their glasses all while they are wearing them to this very day. Stuff happens, as they say (substitute "stuff" with a more appropriate word there).

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Ah... Got it, ok... Apple could develop perfect hardware products with software that executes perfectly under all conditions for all people. If it wanted to. Why stop there? How about perfect security? How about computers with warp drive? Sadly, in your world, it chooses not to.

I can tell you're not an engineer.

I'm not asking for perfect. I'm asking for better than this. I'm asking for better than 4+ days without being able to use Safari.

Your assumptions aside, you don't need to be an engineer to know the triangle: Fast/Cheap/Reliable (Pick Two)

Apple has unfortunately gone the Fast/Cheap route in my opinion... so reliability has suffered.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm not asking for perfect. I'm asking for better than this. I'm asking for better than 4+ days without being able to use Safari.

Your assumptions aside, you don't need to be an engineer to know the triangle: Fast/Cheap/Reliable (Pick Two)

Apple has unfortunately gone the Fast/Cheap route in my opinion... so reliability has suffered.
And while they can certainly do better (as most can), it doesn't mean that at some point we still wouldn't be in this type of situation nevertheless.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The effect of having an overly large Universal Link set wasn't anticipated?
No, as wasn't the reason for any other bug shipped in software. If you could anticipate everything, there would be no bugs in shipping software. But as is more than evident, no software was ever or ever will be free from bugs or even anywhere near to free from bugs. So your point that Apple are idiots for not anticipating this bug is equal to saying that essentially every organisation shipping any kind of software are collective idiots. Maybe your are the smartest man in the universe and thus everybody else is an idiot in comparison. But, I'd say the chances for that are extremely slim.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I'm still running 9.2.0. Works perfectly and nothing Apple have offered in 9.3 interests me.

Will probably stay on iOS 9 even after 10 comes out.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
They can do a lot of things, but they have a lot of things to consider and account for as they decide to do something. It's not as simple as it all sounds in theory.

There could be world peace if people just wanted and chose to do it. It's that simple, right?

Stop with new features. Put the engineers/developers on reliability. That's simple.
[doublepost=1459286339][/doublepost]
... just to have someone else here complaining about the lack of features :rolleyes:

At least they wouldn't be complaining that it doesn't work.
[doublepost=1459286417][/doublepost]
I'm still running 9.2.0. Works perfectly and nothing Apple have offered in 9.3 interests me.

Will probably stay on iOS 9 even after 10 comes out.

Exactly my point. More people than others think want reliability, not "NEW FEATURES!!!!"

And if reliability is crap, people won't uprade.

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Why? Writing code isn't new---Apples been doing it for a very long time. My issue is that these types of problems are becoming the norm vs. the exception. This release has been in beta for months yet we first see a bad version on 9.3 for older devices and now this.

Apple's reputation for polished software is getting a bit tarnished in my opinion.
I've been using Macs for a very, very long time and I remember a humiliating system release called "7.5.3•" to fix a really bad bug in 7.5.3.
Bugs in Apple software are nothing new. Some versions are better than others but it tends to reflect more where they are in the product lifecycle than their capability of writing good software or their attention to software quality. Every time a bug is found in iOS or OS X we see the same "Apple is no longer the old Apple and they don't care about quality" and I think you're longing for an idealized Apple that never existed.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
So, you think that is the first time in history that somebody was unable to use part of its software for a couple of days? Say a million people are unable to use Safari for a week. Would your reaction been any different if this bug had only affect 100'000 people? Because scaled to the whole software stack, such a reduction by a factor of ten of affected people is akin to 10x fewer bugs. Surely, if Apple could the number of bugs (or rather weighted bugs as in people-day-bugs) by such a factor that would count as a monumental achievement. But still it wouldn't have changed your personal experience and thus your personal opinion. Doesn't this show you your personal experience is not a reliable indicator for overall software quality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.