Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the course of the last week, there have been a growing number of complaints from users who have discovered that the display of the iPhone X becomes unresponsive in the cold.

Users on both reddit and the MacRumors forums have noticed that their iPhones immediately refuse to recognize some touch input when exposed to cool outdoor temperatures. As it turns out, there is a software bug causing the issue, which Apple says will be addressed in an upcoming update. From a statement to The Loop:

snowyiphonex2.jpg
"We are aware of instances where the iPhone X screen will become temporarily unresponsive to touch after a rapid change to a cold environment. After several seconds the screen will become fully responsive again. This will be addressed in an upcoming software update."
Apple says its iOS devices operate best between temperatures of 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F), but some of the people who are experiencing issues have seen display problems within these temperature parameters. Reddit user darus214, for example, had his iPhone X act up when it was 45 to 50ºF outside.
I've noticed that my iPhone X screen becomes very unresponsive as soon as I step outside. It literally takes 2 seconds from going inside to the cold outdoors and my screen stops being very responsive. I try swiping on websites and it doesn't register my finger. It's very noticeable. Is anyone else having this problem?
Not all iPhone X users are experiencing problems with the display in cold weather, and those that are see the problem occur as soon as cold exposure happens rather than after a period of time, which does indeed suggest a software issue. Most affected users have said that the problem clears up after a few minutes. From the MacRumors forums:
I have a space gray 256gb iPhone X and I really like the phone, except...

I live in Finland and here is cold (-30-5°C) about 6 to 7 months in a year. Yesterday I noticed that when I'm outside and temperature hits about -1°C (~30°F) my iPhone X's display becomes working incorrectly. Some touches aren't recognized and some are not accurate at all. Problem solves itself after about 3-5 minutes of use, or when I go back indoors.

This is driving me crazy. Anyone else having this kind of problem with the phone?
It's not clear when Apple will fix the cold weather bug, but a fix could come in iOS 11.2, which is currently in beta testing. Apple this morning released iOS 11.1.1, an update that addresses an autocorrect bug that caused "i" to correct to "A[?]" on some devices.

Article Link: Apple Working on Fix for Bug Causing iPhone X Display to Become Temporarily Unresponsive in Cold Weather

Reactions: 371txbjp

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
It's tough to use in Canada almost anywhere for 8 months of the year unless you're inside. And even then it takes a long time to warm up. When you're warming up your vehicle, that's the prime time that most people want to use their smart phone, but you can't get it to register input.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I literally just had this happen. I hope it can be fixed. Was trying to enter info in a budget app and many button presses were unresponsive or registered as 3D Touch when I wasn’t pressing hard. It’s not that cold out, maybe 45 degrees.

Reactions: anoobis and willnpc

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I knew this had to be a bug/flaw. Yet, there were a fair number of people saying “This is normal! Nothing to see here!”

Just glad a fix is coming.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I can't wait to hear how this is a software issue. (seriously the phone doesn't have a temperature sensor so how does it know?)
So when your phone overheats, displays a warning, and even shuts down, it’s just guessing?
[doublepost=1510272582][/doublepost]
yes, but a sensor that tells the screen to misbehave when it gets too cold?
Yes, it has to do with the capacitive touch controller which recognizes the electrical current in your finger as a touch. The threshold changes based on temperature. Just needs proper calibrating.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska

Over the course of the last week, there have been a growing number of complaints from users who have discovered that the display of the iPhone X becomes unresponsive in the cold.

Users on both reddit and the MacRumors forums have noticed that their iPhones immediately refuse to recognize some touch input when exposed to cool outdoor temperatures. As it turns out, there is a software bug causing the issue, which Apple says will be addressed in an upcoming update. From a statement to The Loop:

snowyiphonex2.jpg
Apple says its iOS devices operate best between temperatures of 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F), but some of the people who are experiencing issues have seen display problems within these temperature parameters. Reddit user darus214, for example, had his iPhone X act up when it was 45 to 50ºF outside.Not all iPhone X users are experiencing problems with the display in cold weather, and those that are see the problem occur as soon as cold exposure happens rather than after a period of time, which does indeed suggest a software issue. Most affected users have said that the problem clears up after a few minutes. From the MacRumors forums:It's not clear when Apple will fix the cold weather bug, but a fix could come in iOS 11.2, which is currently in beta testing. Apple this morning released iOS 11.1.1, an update that addresses an autocorrect bug that caused "i" to correct to "A[?]" on some devices.

Article Link: Apple Working on Fix for Bug Causing iPhone X Display to Become Temporarily Unresponsive in Cold Weather
Oh Great. I live in south-central Alaska. Won't see significant above freezing temps until April. I love the iPhone X but haven't had a chance to use it outside yet. Guess I will see how it pans out on a fat bike ride tomorrow. High temperature prediction then--15 degrees.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I can't wait to hear how this is a software issue. (seriously the phone doesn't have a temperature sensor so how does it know?)

iPhones do have a temp sensor. If the phone gets too hot it will automatically go into a panic setting and give you a warning on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.