Apple Working on Fix for Bug Causing iPhone X Display to Become Temporarily Unresponsive in Cold Weather

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the course of the last week, there have been a growing number of complaints from users who have discovered that the display of the iPhone X becomes unresponsive in the cold.

Users on both reddit and the MacRumors forums have noticed that their iPhones immediately refuse to recognize some touch input when exposed to cool outdoor temperatures. As it turns out, there is a software bug causing the issue, which Apple says will be addressed in an upcoming update. From a statement to The Loop:

[​IMG]
    Apple says its iOS devices operate best between temperatures of 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F), but some of the people who are experiencing issues have seen display problems within these temperature parameters. Reddit user darus214, for example, had his iPhone X act up when it was 45 to 50ºF outside.
    Not all iPhone X users are experiencing problems with the display in cold weather, and those that are see the problem occur as soon as cold exposure happens rather than after a period of time, which does indeed suggest a software issue. Most affected users have said that the problem clears up after a few minutes. From the MacRumors forums:
    It's not clear when Apple will fix the cold weather bug, but a fix could come in iOS 11.2, which is currently in beta testing. Apple this morning released iOS 11.1.1, an update that addresses an autocorrect bug that caused "i" to correct to "A[?]" on some devices.

Article Link: Apple Working on Fix for Bug Causing iPhone X Display to Become Temporarily Unresponsive in Cold Weather

2. jakeowens macrumors newbie

I'm glad other people have been having this issue. This has been causing me some frustration for sure!

3. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Please, no coldgate posts.. New hardware, you have to expect bugs..

4. Scottsoapbox, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502

Scottsoapbox

I can't wait to hear how this is a software issue.

Seriously the phone doesn't have a true temperature sensor (not counting the CPU thermal sensor) so how does it know?

5. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

No mention of the green line issue that several have reported in these forums?

6. mistasopz macrumors regular

It's tough to use in Canada almost anywhere for 8 months of the year unless you're inside. And even then it takes a long time to warm up. When you're warming up your vehicle, that's the prime time that most people want to use their smart phone, but you can't get it to register input.

7. serialiphoneuser, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

serialiphoneuser macrumors regular

8. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Probably touch sensor calibration.. So yes, software fix..

9. jezbd1997 macrumors regular

All iOS devices have temperature sensors.

10. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

Oh thank god! I thought it was just my phone. I live in Chicago and just experienced this issue.

11. jezbd1997 macrumors regular

For a $1,579 device over here in Aus, no you should not expect bugs!!

12. asdavis10 macrumors regular

asdavis10

How big is Apple's QA department? Must be 5 guys playing rock paper scissors over the best view at the spaceship.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I literally just had this happen. I hope it can be fixed. Was trying to enter info in a budget app and many button presses were unresponsive or registered as 3D Touch when I wasn’t pressing hard. It’s not that cold out, maybe 45 degrees.

14. namenotfound macrumors newbie

15. Danindub macrumors member

I thought it was just me going mad :) Glad it's software fixable...

16. Plett macrumors newbie

Plett

17. Will.O.Bie macrumors member

Will.O.Bie

The Notch is the culprit.

Anymore notch complaints? Seriously, anyone? o_O

18. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I knew this had to be a bug/flaw. Yet, there were a fair number of people saying “This is normal! Nothing to see here!”

Just glad a fix is coming.

19. Act3 macrumors 65816

yes, but a sensor that tells the screen to misbehave when it gets too cold?

20. Chazzle, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Chazzle macrumors 6502a

Chazzle

So when your phone overheats, displays a warning, and even shuts down, it’s just guessing?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2017 ---
    Yes, it has to do with the capacitive touch controller which recognizes the electrical current in your finger as a touch. The threshold changes based on temperature. Just needs proper calibrating.

21. neutralguy macrumors 6502

Even after paying 1000$?? Would you tolerate that if you new TV did that or Playstation/Xbox did that?

22. Northern Lights macrumors newbie

Northern Lights

Oh Great. I live in south-central Alaska. Won't see significant above freezing temps until April. I love the iPhone X but haven't had a chance to use it outside yet. Guess I will see how it pans out on a fat bike ride tomorrow. High temperature prediction then--15 degrees.

23. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502

TheShadowKnows!

My guess is that this anomaly will prove to be just the tip of the iceberg (pun intended).

24. neutralguy macrumors 6502

The winter is coming!

25. 2010mini macrumors 68040

iPhones do have a temp sensor. If the phone gets too hot it will automatically go into a panic setting and give you a warning on the screen.

26. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502

Scottsoapbox