Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's 6.1-Inch LCD iPhone 'Possibly' Delayed to October, OLED Models Still Coming in September

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple might delay the launch of its new, low-cost 6.1-inch iPhone by one month and launch the device in October, according to Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty (via Barron's). Huberty cites suspected issues with "LED backlight leakage" leading to the "possible" one month delay in mass production on the 6.1-inch iPhone.

Alleged front glass panels for the 2018 iPhones, with the 6.1-inch model in the middle

The problem was worse in the original production forecast, according to the new report, as there was originally a rumored six week delay for the 6.1-inch device. Now, Huberty says the cheaper smartphone will launch in October, while the second generation 5.8-inch iPhone X and 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" will "see no delay" and debut in September. All three devices are expected to be revealed during an event in September.
We currently see no delay in the ramp of Apple's upcoming flagship 5.8" or 6.5" OLED iPhones. However suspected issues with LED backlight leakage have caused a 1 month delay in mass production of the 6.1" LCD iPhone, although this is down from a 6-week delay baked into the original production forecast, according to suppliers.
The six week delay for the LCD model was previously mentioned in a report earlier this year that predicted the LCD model wouldn't launch until November 2018, but otherwise the belief has been that Apple will release all three devices in September 2018.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has backed this idea, and in a June report outlined what he believes will be Apple's pricing plan for the smartphones: the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will be priced at $600 to $700, the 5.8-inch OLED second-generation iPhone X will be $800 to $900, and the 6.5-inch OLED device will be $900 to $1,000.

If the 6.1-inch model doesn't make a September debut, Apple will likely lose a few sales to customers who are interested in a new iPhone model but still don't want to pay upwards of $800 in full for the OLED devices. Because of this, Huberty sees Apple delivering a "slightly weaker-than-consensus September quarter."

This is a similar sentiment that the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and iPhone 8 Plus gained when Apple split up their launches last year, although somewhat reversed given that the flagship iPhone X was the delayed device in 2017.

Article Link: Apple's 6.1-Inch LCD iPhone 'Possibly' Delayed to October, OLED Models Still Coming in September

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
I don't know if making more expensive options available first is a smart idea without crunching the numbers that we don't have first.

Comment

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
Also, just gonna say. I like the slightly thicker bezel on the LCD model more than the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

wigby

macrumors 68010
Jun 7, 2007
I call BS. Apple has been making LCD screens since iPhone 1. There's never been an issue with them. If the 6.1 is delayed, it will be because of marketing decisions.
I call BS on the headline. There cannot be a delay on something that has not yet begun and will not even be announced for another few months anyway.

Reactions: Paleworm
Comment

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Oh what a cynical bunch! :rolleyes:

"From an engineering standpoint, OLED is easily capable of being cut and folded, as its ability to work without a backlight means it can be produced on a somewhat flexible substrate. LCD screens need the backlight, making them thicker and less capable of being used for an edge-to-edge display with rounded corners and a cut-out section at the top."

Comment

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
I call BS. Apple has been making LCD screens since iPhone 1. There's never been an issue with them. If the 6.1 is delayed, it will be because of marketing decisions.

Apple doesn't make screens, they buy them from third-party manufacturers. It is possible the manufacturer selected to provide the 6.1" LCD units is having issues ramping production up to satisfy the estimated 90 million units required.

I don't think this will cost Apple any sales but rather just postpone some until the next quarter. Most customers who are skipping the $1,000 X aren't suddenly going to pick up an X2 even if the price drops to $900. You also won't find a lot who will be jumping ship to Android over a one-month delay.

Comment

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Has Apple directly referenced this as such? This seems like a term used by blogs almost exclusively.
I mean they haven't, but it will be the "cheaper" option out of the three. I'm sure they'll use clever phrasing to differentiate, but it's just funny to me. they're coming out with three expensive phones. the 6.1 will just happen to be the least expensive so that gives them carte blanche to use words like "affordable".

Comment

ManicanParty49

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2018
I mean they haven't, but it will be the "cheaper" option out of the three. I'm sure they'll use clever phrasing to differentiate, but it's just funny to me. they're coming out with three expensive phones. the 6.1 will just happen to be the least expensive so that gives them carte blanche to use words like "affordable".
Fair. I doubt they will refer to it as an iPhone on a budget. The term "affordable" is certainly one I can hear Craig or Phil saying when explaining how much technology is packed into a phone priced at $XYZ.

Comment

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Right on schedule with the "iPhone shipments delayed" rumor.

Up next is how the next gen iPhone X is not going going to make Apple as much money because of the cheaper LCD version.

This will be followed by how horrible Apple's Q4 is going to be.

Reactions: agsystems
Comment

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
Although I also think it's to boost the X sales but they haven't made an LCD with curved edges and a notch, while keeping the bezels slim. It could also just be that they're using a new panel which is not as good as the current iPhones.

Reactions: manu chao
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.