Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Well, yes and no. For me, Face ID could definitely get much better (which iOS 12 has helped a lot). I welcome improvements regarding speed, landscape, and more extreme viewing angles. This will make the experience much much better. Similar to the jump from Touch ID version 1 to 2, which was huge. My main point in it being incremental though is that all smartphone features are superficial at this point. We pretty much have everything we could want in our smartphones. The main reason I choose Apple isn't because of features year after year, it's because they provide the best overall platform when it comes to performance, security, privacy, ecosystem, apps, and support.
Don’t get me wrong, incremental upgrades are always welcome. I agree that Apple is the best overall, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement. My point is more from a business/marketing perspective. For tech guys like you and I, better camera, FaceID, and more RAM is enough to persuade us to upgrade to the new model. But for the average consumer, there’s no shiny new feature like other S models to make them upgrade. It’s an extremely challenging feat for Apple’s marketing team to make a phone that’s nearly identical feel new. Not to mention the trainwreck they’re gonna have with keeping the naming concise across the product line.

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
They will also slow down every older iPhone model to “force” you to buy a newer one. You have “no choice.”

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Don’t get me wrong, incremental upgrades are always welcome. I agree that Apple is the best overall, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement. My point is more from a business/marketing perspective. For tech guys like you and I, better camera, FaceID, and more RAM is enough to persuade us to upgrade to the new model. But for the average consumer, there’s no shiny new feature like other S models to make them upgrade. It’s an extremely challenging feat for Apple’s marketing team to make a phone that’s nearly identical feel new. Not to mention the trainwreck they’re gonna have with keeping the naming concise across the product line.

Fair points. I mean, I would assume the people at Apple have better ideas than I do, but I am curious as to what would really be a differentiating feature for smart phone users in 2018.

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
This years upgrades are for those who didn't upgrade to an 8 or X. I don't understand why people honestly think Apple's strategy is for the majority of iPhone users to upgrade yearly. They clearly talk about upgrade cycles in their financial calls so I don't get why people won't listen to them on that front.
Apple most definitely takes into consideration early adopters in those upgrade cycles. Even cutting their early adopters in half because the new phone isn’t much different than the old would have an affect of their numbers. But we’ll see, their normal upgrade cycle is completely thrown off now. Last year was supposed to be a tock year, and the iPhone X released in November meaning early adopters won’t be due for an upgrade until a month after release of the 2018 phones. This year will definitely be interesting.

Reactions: iHammah

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
They will also slow down every older iPhone model to “force” you to buy a newer one. You have “no choice.”

It's actually the opposite of everything you say here. iOS 12 improves performance on older devices as far back as the iPhone 5s. You also obviously have a choice to move to an Android manufacturer, but good luck getting OS support better than that.

Reactions: ronntaylor

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It would be a way to push OLED sales first, before they offer a "budget" version. I love that a $700 is considered "budget" in Apple's world.
That’s not Apple’s term lol. The writer of the article means the budget version of the flagship 2018 iPhone X. The 6.1” LCD is the follow-on model to this year’s iPhone 8/8 Plus, which sell for $699/$799. The display is going from 4.7”/5.5” to 6.1” and they’re adding FaceID. Given that, how much of a price cut can be expected?

Apple’s “budget” phone is the SE. It’s $349 compared to the $999 iPhone X. It’s available in the US for around $149 from the prepaid carriers.

Last edited:
Reactions: iHammah

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple most definitely takes into consideration early adopters in those upgrade cycles. Even cutting their early adopters in half because the new phone isn’t much different than the old would have an affect of their numbers. But we’ll see, their normal upgrade cycle is completely thrown off now. Last year was supposed to be a tock year, and the iPhone X released in November meaning early adopters won’t be due for an upgrade until a month after release of the 2018 phones. This year will definitely be interesting.
I think this year will be the "super cycle" that analysts were expecting from last year to be honest. Once iOS12 comes out I'll decide if I want to throw a new battery in my 6s and keep if for another year or go with a new device.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I was going to consider the "cheap" LCD phone since it looks to be a middle ground between the too small horizontal size of the X and the expensive X Plus. However, I can't live without the dual cameras and portrait mode. It was my primary reason for buying the 7 Plus instead of the 7 and it really is a killer feature. With the right distance, lighting and focus, you can achieve ridiculously awesome photos. Almost as good as a mainstream sub-$1000 SLR. Of course nothing will replace an SLR especially for long distance shots alone.

As for the delay, I think it's more difficult to manufacture an LCD with a notch than it is to work with OLED. It's not about making more money from selling the more expensive option. Last year Apple sold the cheaper phones for about a month and half before the X hit the market and many people chose to buy the 8s and even the 7s because they provided more bang per buck.

Last edited:

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I don’t understand why Apple charges such a premium for oled, when it’s being used in basically every other manufacturers flagships for much cheaper.
Oled is nice. Not worth $500 (australian) premium at all.

That's a ridiculous premium. $370 at today's exchange rate. In America the premium is $200 more than the 8 Plus. $300 more than the 8 but I try to compare apples and apples. The 8 doesn't have the dual camera setup so it shouldn't be compared to the X.

oddiecz

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
ProMotion would be pretty incredible on a phone so I see that as a big upgrade, but yea I kind of get your point. It's all incremental in my eyes as I don't really care about new features at this point. It's all fluff.

Is it possible OLED could cause problems for ProMotion? As far as I know, Apple has only done it on LCD so far.

Exactly! What’s the incentive for current iPhone X owners to upgrade? Really, there’s nothing...

I would expect a new camera feature to be likely as the "it" feature. Either a big jump in quality (larger sensor) or a new "mode" - the rear facing AR camera isn't supposed to come yet, so I don't know what mode that would be. Of course it is possible that we'll only see a slightly updated and cheaper iPhone X. I am sure those would sell just fine.

Last edited:

oddiecz

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
My guess is ProMotion, Face ID 2, camera improvements, updated processor/RAM, and software features specific to the OLED or the Plus model.

I'd add battery life improvements if they can get a larger/truly L-shaped battery in there. That new chip may also help.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Is it possible OLED could cause problems for ProMotion? As far as I know, Apple has only done it on LCD so far.

I would expect a new camera feature to be likely as the "it" feature. Either a big jump in quality (larger sensor) or a new "mode" - the rear facing AR camera isn't supposed to come yet, so I don't know what mode that would be.

I am not sure, I am no expert in that area.
[doublepost=1532537033][/doublepost]
I'd add battery life improvements if they can get a larger/truly L-shaped battery in there. That new chip may also help.

Good point. I am holding out hope for a dark mode also, which they may be able to boast even more significant numbers in regards to battery life.

Reactions: oddiecz

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
The larger screen? For me that was a big reason to hold off on the iPhone X and wait for the X Plus. But like most people, I don't upgrade every year.
But this is my exact point. Yes going from 5.8 to 6.5 is a big reason to upgrade. But I currently have the X and wouldn’t consider the 6.5, so for people like me, why would you wanna upgrade from the old 5.8 to the new 5.8? I don’t have a concrete answer, and I’m curious to see if Apple does.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
fake news...trying to hype up another phone before release......"Iphone X will be limited" Please........We heard the same o story from last night for the X

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
fake news...trying to hype up another phone before release......"Iphone X will be limited" Please........We heard the same o story from last night for the X

Yes and the x was indeed delayed.
How is it fake news?

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
It's quite comical how every year these analysts report the same thing and every year we fall for it. I mean, sure, there could be a delay or production issues or whatever, but has it ever been true in the past?

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I call BS. Apple has been making LCD screens since iPhone 1. There's never been an issue with them. If the 6.1 is delayed, it will be because of marketing decisions.
based on rumors this is not the same LCD they have been procuring for many years - looks like they will be using the same high quality LCD used in the LG G7 which has all the benefits OLED at a lower cost for Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val-kyrie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.