Apple's Dan Riccio Says 2018 iPad Pro 'Meets or Exceeds' Quality Standards of Design and Precision, More Info to Come

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, Apple told The Verge that some 2018 iPad Pro models are shipping with a slight bend in the aluminum chassis, which is a side effect of the manufacturing process that is not expected to worsen over time or negatively impact the iPad's performance.

Many MacRumors readers were concerned about Apple's position that a noticeable bend is not a manufacturing issue, prompting MacRumors reader Craig to send an email to Apple CEO Tim Cook to express his concerns.

[​IMG]
    Image via MacRumors reader Bwrin1​

While Cook didn't respond, Craig did get a reply from Apple's VP of hardware engineering, Dan Riccio, which he shared with MacRumors and which we have confirmed to be from Apple's corporate mail servers in Cupertino, California.

In the email, Riccio says that the iPad Pro's design "meets or exceeds" all of Apple's quality and precision standards.

Apple's specification for iPad Pro flatness is up to 400 microns, which is "even tighter than previous generations." Riccio reiterates that this level of flatness won't change during normal use, nor does it affect function. From the email:
    Riccio's email also says that a company statement was not included in the original information disseminated by The Verge, and that Apple will be reaching out to media outlets to comment officially.

The original email was sent late on December 20 and suggested a comment would come "later today," but that didn't happen, so it's not quite clear when Apple will provide more info to the media. We may be hearing an official, more reassuring statement on the 2018 iPad Pro before the end of the day.

Minor bending of the new iPad Pro models first came to light shortly after the devices launched, and new iPad Pro owners who noticed bends shared their concerns on the MacRumors forums.

Apple was quiet on the issue until this week, when the company told The Verge that the bending is a side effect of the manufacturing process and not a defect that impacts iPad performance.

The bend is said to be the result of a cooling process involving the iPad Pro's metal and plastic components during manufacturing. iPad Pro models experiencing this issue are exhibiting the problem right out of the box, according to Apple, so it's not an issue that shows up or worsens over time.

Apple told The Verge that concerns over the structural rigidity of the iPad Pro are unfounded and that it stands by the product.

Article Link: Apple's Dan Riccio Says 2018 iPad Pro 'Meets or Exceeds' Quality Standards of Design and Precision, More Info to Come

2. AngerDanger, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I can’t disagree; mine’s flopping around perfectly as expected.

[​IMG]

3. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

4. busuan macrumors member

Does a Pre-Bent iPad Pro 11 meet your quality standard or not? Yes or No. Please answer.

5. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

No it doesn't. Just stop, Apple. Design over functionality is becoming a problem if this is your response.

6. mozumder macrumors 6502a

Every product is going to have bends, but is it beyond typical tolerance levels? We need some independent tests, especially compared to previous models and other products, including from other manufacturers.

7. Khedron macrumors 65816

8. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

Dont worry guys, it will not bend any more than the 30 degrees it already has out of the box

9. barkomatic macrumors 601

If I'm spending over 2K on an iPad then its completely unacceptable to have a bend as depicted in the photo. It would be exchanged until I would get one without a bend.

It's amazing Apple is trying to pass this off as a manufacturing variance.

10. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

Apple people don't live in the same reality that you and I live in....

11. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Oh, well if Dan says it's good, then it's all settled.

12. megatronbomb macrumors 6502

megatronbomb

Apple digging in on this is not going to be helpful for them.

13. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Apple can say what they like about it - I won't be buying a bendy iPad

14. Since1987 macrumors regular

Ive and Timmy have their fingers in their ears saying "LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU !!!"

Apple with Steve Jobs... insanely Great
    Apple without Steve Jobs... just insane

15. allapple macrumors member

allapple

Riccio says that the iPad Pro's design "meeds or exceeds" And your is point is?????? So if your standards were that they don't HAVE to work that would make it right? OMG! Selling my 2 shares of stock soon as I can, and trying to find a way out of this Apple eco-system! ???????

16. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Tell the truth, you werent ever going to be buying an iPad Pro at all :)

17. Mdracer, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

Mdracer macrumors newbie

Mdracer

7D18357C-302F-47CD-B16A-7A17CBF2A97D.jpeg Apples Rose Tinted Glasses are getting thicker and darker each year!

18. johnyslats macrumors 65816

johnyslats

Tell you what it doesn’t ‘meet or exceed’... people’s expectations!

19. mcbumbersnazzle macrumors newbie

this is bendgate all over again.... next thing you know they'll invite the press to show their staged testing process even though they know it's prone to bending

20. Khedron macrumors 65816

BTW what happens if you try to use the level app on one of these bent iPads because if it shows the deviation from flat then it does affect functionality.

21. pacalis macrumors 6502a

Why can't anyone admit that apple is just copying Samsung again. ;)

[​IMG]

22. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Wow they are really going to stick to their story..........

23. nickgovier macrumors member

If it "meets or exceeds" Apple's quality standards, then Apple's quality standards do not meet or exceed mine.

24. fathergll macrumors 65816

"To bend or not to bend.....that is the question"

-Cook

25. ajguckian macrumors regular

Seems pretty straightforward. If it’s outside of the 400 microns it’s a defect and gets replaced I’d assume?