Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Thin less weight is the “have your cake and eat it too” moment. If one succeeds, Awesome! What Apple does not understand today, we do not need a very thin less weight product that has very expensive repair costs, and can easily become unusable because of the design. Other words, we can live with a bit more size to get a durable less expensive product to repair. My just three year old MacBook battery failed, $200 and a week in the repair process, an example of a design I would easily give up on. What really hurts us consumers, not the size but the “Total Cost Of Ownership”. Apple products today are pushing the envelope of this matrix.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Maybe Apple’s new standard but not the consumer that is paying the premium pricing. Seems like Apple is trying to lower their quality in lieu of profit with every new release. Also, if they claim this generation is better than all previous then they should have no problem replacing units within the 2 year warranty period like they have in the past.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Ive and Timmy have their fingers in their ears saying "LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU !!!"

Apple with Steve Jobs... insanely Great
Apple without Steve Jobs... just insane

The same Steve Jobs who said "you're holding it wrong". Or oversaw a sea of graphics card failures in their portables.

Face it: they've always been a bunch of pretentious ass-hats when it comes to products. Personally I love Apple products and wouldn't consider buying anything else, but responses like what they are and have been saying are pretty difficult to defend.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Who buys these things anyway?

They're incapable of truly replacing a laptop and they're only marginally better than any other run of the mill tablet. You don't get a file browser, you can't connect devices to it, you can't connect headphones to it (unless DONGLES!), and for any audio pro Apple suggests wireless which has latency which negates being a pro.... AND it's stupidly expensive. Any task on this is just a dreadfully gimped experience of a proper laptop/desktop.

Apple's throwing this at consumers when they should be focusing on making great desktops. It's funny how everyone forgot about their tablets after the novelty of them wore off; real work is done on a computer and the same tasks on a tablet can be done (and them some given cellular service) on your PHONE that's on you at all times anyway.

My god... what a useless product and despite all this, there's people buying them that's causing THIS ultimately pointless problem? Wow.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I'm all for corporations targeting max profits, but it should never be at the cost of product quality that ends up giving the consumer the short end of the stick. Without question, Apple disgustinly pushes corporate greed and profit margins to a whole new level. And there will be no end to it because Apple are fully aware their customers continue to believe anything that comes out if their greedy corporate mouths. They gladly welcome you into the ecosystem, then lock you in with that walled garden. Then you mix in the fact it's our human nature to go tribal, and now you're a customer supporting and defending anything Apple does. Apple knows it and banks on it.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
We're talking about two different things. Apple is speaking of minimum standards for their expectations in manufacture. Everyone here is talking about what is visibly well outside of the manufacture standard. I don't doubt that Apple has a tolerance and expect that iPad are built to that spec but reality is not matching in some cases.

Thankfully, I personally have no issue with mine but all this talk has me using it delicately. Same as I did with my 6 Plus. I had to pull it from my pocket any time I was going to sit or bend in a way that might put pressure on my pocket. Not as bad with an iPad since its open carry but it won't ever go in a backpack or travel bad without worry.

Reactions: CJM and NewPilgrim

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Has anyone put an Apple folio case on a bent iPad? Curious to see how the case fits

Apple has Geniuses on hot standby at your local Apple Store to deal with this very issue. Just walk in with your folio and iPad - Apple's crack team will custom bend your folio case to the exact degree necessary for your iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.