Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Question, what does this mean for macOS updates for users who own this model; especially with Mojave coming this fall? Is possible Apple could drop support even though they just applied vintage to it? I am sure 2011 and 2009 MBP's are still able to run the latest macOS even though the machine vintage.

6 years is a good run though. Gonna try and get as much out of my Early 2015. Thought I was gonna upgrade next year, but honestly, it doesn't make any economic sense for me. So, I will at least wait until the machine is obsolete or dead (unlikely). I have a working 2001 PowerBook G4, so, these things are built to last.
Users who own this model would likely have two more years of major macOS updates. 2009-2011 MBPs just got the axe with Mojave.

rptoro77

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2016
It's crazy how Apple calls "vintage" a computer that has almost the same configuration as the current model. They have upgraded really slow the MacBook Pro line.. it's really disappointing! I was hoping at least a new one at WWDC with wireless iPhone and Apple Watch dock, and 32GB RAM.. I still can't believe they didn't do so!.. DISAPPOINTING!

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The notebook was also praised in many reviews, which awarded it top marks for its mix of functionality and portability. Marco Arment, a well-known developer, even called it "the best laptop ever made," with a "crowd-pleasing design."

"Introduced in 2012, less than a year after Steve Jobs died, I see it as the peak of Jobs' vision for the Mac," said Arment, in a blog post last year.
Was he already of the same opinion in 2012 when it was released?

Reactions: FightTheFuture

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm glad I got the battery replaced with it earlier this year. I was expecting the move. The 2012 rMBP is the best laptop I've ever owned

I'd second that....I definitely think it was the best I've ever owned too and I've had a lot!! Apple was in a great place in those days.

For me the Pismo was the best they ever made.

...... and will wait for a redesign or it's hello....... HP or Dell!

Somehow I don't believe you will....;)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Question, what does this mean for macOS updates for users who own this model; especially with Mojave coming this fall? Is possible Apple could drop support even though they just applied vintage to it? I am sure 2011 and 2009 MBP's are still able to run the latest macOS even though the machine vintage.
No, vintage is a label that only applies to the hardware side (ie, they don't guarantee the availability of parts after that anymore and might under some circumstance even refuse to repair it).

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
The MR comments back then seem fairly similar to now. Hmm.... :cool:
I think most comments were turned off by the cost and non-replaceable battery or RAM, but reading the comments on how much people on here love these circa 2012 machines five years later gives context on how much the cost really doesn't matter. Pay the extra for a Mac, you'll love it for years.

I was "forced" to buy an updated MacBook Air last month as a stop gap measure when my out of AppleCare Pro died. Not holding my breath for a quad-core release with the flutter-F*@K keyboard issues they are experience and will wait for a redesign or it's hello....... HP or Dell!
I did the exact same thing! Bought a 2017 MBA from Best Buy at $650 as a bridge Mac until they sort out the issues for the next MBP. That said - if you're enticed by HP or Dell, go for it. There's nothing wrong with looking for other options. Personally, I find Windows 10 uninspiring and joyless but that might not matter to you.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
but it's still somewhat of a sad reminder that the first MacBook Pro with Retina display has nearly reached the end of its life. Anyone still using one is now on their own in terms of hardware.

But what irks me more about these "Vintage" announcements are statements like the one above "has nearly reached the end of its life" End of life? Really? This 2012 mac outperforms some 2014 and 2015 macs, there is PLENTY of life left. Sure hardware repairs at Apple store are gone, so what? If a 2012 MBP dies, it's cheaper getting another one off eBay than paying Apple's exorbitant service fees.

And the truth is users are constantly "on their own" when it comes to hardware repairs. Any time Applecare expires, a person is on their own. Many times a $550 quote from Apple store means a user is better off buying a new Mac than giving that money to Apple.

WkenagU.png

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
my 2013 15" is soon to be vintage. Still the best machine i've ever owned. Pour one out for Aperture....

Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but I still use Aperture. I haven't found another good pro-level editor that "gets out of my way" and lets me define my workflow, like Aperture does...

I'm thinking about trying Luminar, though - I've heard some good things about it.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I have had a 2012 and then a 2015 at home and my work provides a 2017.

You'll have to pry the 2015 from my hot sweaty typing hands. I keep almost buying a max spec'd one from apple.com. I can't deal with the keyboard, port configuration and lack of mag safe on the newer model.

Anyone know the speed dif. between a 2015 and 2017? I don't know about the different later generation i7s off the top of my head.

My parents still have a 2012, it doesn't feel 6 years old in daily use.

Reactions: Okasian

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
For me the Pismo was the best they ever made

Somehow I don't believe you will....;)

Yea, well I dual boot my MacBook. Run Windows 10 for the "corp" on 1/2 drive & (mostly excel and 1 proprietary software) Mac side for SalesF, Slack & PP sales presentation. Office 365 has helped this set up on Mac side without question. Love to see peoples expression with Windows desktop on the Pro.....priceless.

I have team members running Dell 13" & HP Expire machines and they are very nice machines.

Widows 10 works well as any edition of Windows I've run in Bootcamp. It has issues for sure,(battery sucker) but much better than the last release.(Win-blows 8)

Hopefully Apple will get it together.

Reactions: Okasian

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's the last mac I have bought and quite likely the last I will buy.
I have a 2015 iMac which is really good, and I'm waiting to see what Apple does for the 2018 model, specifically the keyboard. I do really enjoy the macOS platform so I'm not totally ready to leave yet but I'm not willing to spend almost 3k on a laptop that has a defective keyboard.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have had a 2012 and then a 2015 at home and my work provides a 2017.

You'll have to pry the 2015 from my hot sweaty typing hands. I keep almost buying a max spec'd one from apple.com. I can't deal with the keyboard, port configuration and lack of mag safe on the newer model.

Anyone know the speed dif. between a 2015 and 2017? I don't know about the different later generation i7s off the top of my head.

My parents still have a 2012, it doesn't feel 6 years old in daily use.

The only issue with 2012 era laptops is that the GPU can't keep up, otherwise (If you upgrade to an SSD and RAM) it's a very capable machine.

Reactions: Yvan256

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
But what irks me more about these "Vintage" announcements are statements like the one above "has nearly reached the end of its life" End of life? Really? This 2012 mac outperforms some 2014 and 2015 macs, there is PLENTY of life left. Sure hardware repairs at Apple store are gone, so what? If a 2012 MBP dies, it's cheaper getting another one off eBay than paying Apple's exorbitant service fees.

And the truth is users are constantly "on their own" when it comes to hardware repairs. Any time Applecare expires, a person is on their own. Many times a $550 quote from Apple store means a user is better off buying a new Mac than giving that money to Apple.

WkenagU.png
Comparing 15” MacBook Pro with the extremely portable MacBook Retina only proves how great the newer ones are. I’m actually quite surprised.
Maybe your comment backfire on me (and possibly, many others). Also, comparing advantages on the Intel chipsets over the years without considering specific things (such as use hit faster RAM and SSDs) is not fair and doesn’t give a big picture of real performance.

Reactions: mbosse

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Another mind boggling example, a 2017 mac only slightly faster than a 2012 mac. Perhaps if Apple loves the environment so much they should extend hardware support considering these machines keep screaming performance-wise and are nowhere near end of life? Nevermind, forced obsolescence is more profitable.

PkPztmz.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.