Apple's 'iPad Pro' Plans Reportedly on Hold

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2014.

1. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Exactly! Like back when Apple had a bigger screen that everyone liked so then Samsung made theirs bigger to compete. Oh wait...

2. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

But Samsung DID listen to rumors and DID release a 11 and 13 inch tablet!

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/22/samsung-galaxy-note-pro-12-2-review/

Apple NEVER had rumors about a larger iPhone before Samsung made them.

So your point is completely wrong.

3. ICEMAN-sven macrumors newbie

Samsung had a poor planing and execution on the 12.2" Tablet. It was basically a 10" Tablet with a 120% copy factor. There was zero R&D in this. Prone to be failed. Android is not ready, there had no SoC for this and to drive a 4k display. Wait until Android 5 is finished and there have access to powerful 64-Bit SoC(Nvidia Tegra K1 or Intel Cherry Trail).

4. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Or they're trolling to see how far Samsung will go, copy every single leak and release them unfinished.

5. NMBob macrumors 65816

They probably just couldn't find a way to drive that many pixels quickly enough without burning a hole in the back of the case...yet.

6. Radio macrumors 68000

Google it
    I'm 100% right

The mini would of not happened under jobs

----------

How did apple come up with the mini?

Steeling ideas from their competitors ?

7. everything-i macrumors 6502a

'Report from DigiTimes' or as its more commonly known 'click bait work of fiction' :D

8. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

Yep analysts are pretty much worthless. But it would be pretty easy for one to read into the screen orientation issue, as opposed to from just rectangular dimensions devoid of orientation.

Though we can rotate our iPads, the screen (RGB striping) is oriented vertically. So maybe someone did notice that they are ordering vertical panels, which would not really jive with a MBA refresh (unless they doing a tablet/laptop combo).

I only know half of what I'm talking about (maybe I could be an analyst?), I am not sure if sub pixel rendering is even used anymore, esp. with retina screens making it basically unnecessary.

9. homeward macrumors member

Reading Music

Many people are knocking the idea of an iPad Pro, but I was looking forward to owning one. As a church musician, I have to lug around large heavy binders of music. I was excited about the possibility of having all my music on the iPad Pro. The normal iPad screen is too small for reading a single page of music, especially from the distance of a music stand or an organ or piano music rack.

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Or it could have never been happening and never would have. Steve likely had them prototype a bunch of sizes, the final one wasn't an accident.

We weren't there, we can't say what he was thinking or not thinking. Anymore than we know what ideas started under Steve that we will still be seeing five and ten years after his death.

But what we do know is that Steve is dead so his ideas are moot if the current regime disagrees with them. They will do what they want because they have no obligation to follow Steve's feelings.

11. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Good call with the Pebble. I still think it was reactionary. Why? Because the execution of the GG seemed rushed and "stuffed". Stuffed with everything they could think of that Apple might do based on the prevailing rumors. Even they acknowledged the product was less than they hoped initially. The idea's weren't fully fleshed out. It seemed if they were out to accomplish one goal; beat Apple to market. No so with tablets though.

Discloure: I like Samsung products. I own a GS3 and will probably go with a GS5 in the fall (contract). If Apple pops out a 5" phone, I'll put them in the mix along with the HTC One (their long term viability scares me though)

12. everything-i macrumors 6502a

The bigger screen was originally down to the fact that they had trouble making the internals small enough to match the Apple form factor so made a bigger phone to keep it thin. Consumers were attracted by the bigger screen so this ended up being a major selling point and the rest is history.;)

13. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

What? Apple has canceled the product they never announced they were making? I'm so disappointed!

14. TomaxXamot macrumors regular

TomaxXamot

Uggh you just gave me a headache with that. I know you're joking, but these lines have been repeated so many times at this point that it's not even remotely funny. Get some new material.

15. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

How are you attributing those products to Apple rumors? If I am not mistaken, those tablets were being leaked before any rumors of an iPad Pro. Samsung is the undisputed king of size increments. They don't need Apple for them to do that.

16. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Not what I meant. Where is your source that I doubted an iPad mini?

Also, jobs was warming up to the idea of a mini ipad according to Apple. And the iPad mini is also not the 7" tablet that Jobs infamously said was DOA.

17. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Apple should "leak" false rumors all the time, such as an ultra-wide screen iPad. Then Samsung will make it, based on the false rumor, and fail.

"Unnamed sources within Apple mentioned a 2.35:1 aspect-ratio iPad for better viewing of wide-screen movies. The source said the width of the device is 17 inches and the height is only 8 inch inches. Additionally, the device is supposed to have 16GB RAM, 1TB of flash memory, 256-point multitouch, and sensors for pulse rate, blood oxidation, and arousal levels for those more adult films."

18. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

Cause Sammi just release one recently :)

19. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Oh, you mean the one they just released (Note Pro 12.2). The same tablet that was rumored back in Dec 2012. The same tablet that was almost leaked in Mar 2013. Well before the rumors started about the iPad Pro. IIRC the iPad Pro rumors started gaining traction around May/June 2013.

Yep, that was definitely a response to an Apple rumor. I'll start another: Samsung has time travel capability. They went into the future to see what Apple was doing on the iPad Pro. Traveled back and created their 12" tablet.:rolleyes:

20. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

SERIOUSLY MACRUMORS

"Most recently, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has frequently offered accurate information on Apple's product plans"

this guy has been wrong many times recently and last year

how could you rely all your rumors on this guy :rolleyes: :mad:

21. hexor macrumors 6502

This is called "cover my butt because our rumor was wrong to begin with".

22. JLL macrumors regular

You haven't followed Apple for a long time I see.

Jobs numerous times denied/dissed things until they day they announced a similar thing.

It would be a bad strategy to talk fondly of a small tablet if you don't have one to sell.

23. srminton macrumors regular

srminton

24. thaifood macrumors 6502

I still think this large retina screen is for a retina MacBook Air.

25. mono1980 macrumors 6502

Are you sure it isn't an 11" Macbook Air?