Apple's iPhone X vs. Google's Pixel 2 XL

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Braderunner macrumors 6502

When he said he wished Apple included Touch ID, even if they put it on the back...o_O...I was done listening.
    You have to have some standards.

2. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

iFixit rating

Google Pixel 2 XL - 6/10
    Apple iPhone X - 6/10

Battery Life
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PhoneArena
    Google Pixel XL 2 - 8h 57m
    Apple iPhone X - 8h 41m

Battery Charging

^ My LG phones from last year are laughing at all those "fast charging" speeds. I get 75 minutes, tops. Less than 30 seconds if I want to swap batteries. My S7e was similar to Note8's (90 min).

LG G5 scored 8/10 on iFixit, highest from last year. No bootloops or GPS issues for me! I can use them forever and ever. Not under the mercy with a sealed battery. My Lucky Goldstars. Life's Good!

My next phone is likely Sony. Going to change the design next year. Nomore of that Omnibalance they used since 2013. Hopefully, Sony keeps headphone jack and microSD slot. I want PS4 remote play. They make camera sensors but Sony has some of the worst cameras for flagship phones.

Both Pixel XL and iPhone X are flawed. One won't work with macOS, poor display, and too tall while the other isn't seamless with my work flow because iOS has inferior tethering, Dasher menu, toggles, and notification system than Android's.

3. slowfire69 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---

4. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

There are certainly some tests where the Pixel 2 XL has outlasted the iPhone X. Example: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-pixel-2-xl-vs-iphone-x,review-4728.html

5. noisenet macrumors newbie

Apple's had web interfaces for its iWork apps for years. Where have you been?

6. ImMacBee macrumors newbie

On a pro-Apple site, this is a stupid review. He's trying so hard to sound fair and objective, etc. He seems hesitant (or afraid) to simply declare iPhone X as the obvious winner. It's ridiculous. I'll ignore all future iPhone reviews from this site.

7. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Do either of you have any facts or evidence to support that?

HO HO HO!

Meanwhile, in other news iPhone 7 sales skyrocket! :D

8. Azwilly macrumors newbie

Any phone that runs Android is a losing phone IMHO.

9. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Because if you mention anything other than Apple a lot of posters will consider you an all out enemy and bash everything you say that doesn’t praise Apple. They don’t like to hear other opinions on different tech. They think Apple is the best company that makes no mistakes and makes the perfect product for EVERYONE.

Just like with wireless charging. A lot say it’s just gimmicky and it’s a useless feature. Now that Apple implemented it, it’s the best feature of the decade.

James

10. Daws001 macrumors 6502

Daws001

11. Azwilly macrumors newbie

And with Google YOU are the sucker!

12. votdfak macrumors regular

votdfak

Google is amazing software company, hardware not yet, but they're trying and Apple better be ready. iOS 11 was and still is the buggiest release to date.

13. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Even I'm surprised at this article.

I mean I get that being well rounded with iPhone and Android is a good thing but I really don't think the Pixel 2XL is on par with the X.

Sure you've got green line issues, cold weather instability, a few quirks with Face ID and typical OLED issues but the Pixel 2XL has had a huge myriad of issues on a larger scale. I mean, they even shipped a few with no OS at all!

I'm not bashing android here, I've got a V30 daily driver. I just think this year wasn't Googles greatest.

14. pika2000 macrumors 68030

- Sounds like you never use Xiaomi. Even on my old cheap Redmi 2, Xiaomi still pushes security updates. Xiaomi is a different breed than other Android OEMs.
    - A physical store is great when you need them. At the price Google is charging similar to Apple, I expect the same level of service. Heck, even Samsung has physical stores for support. That justifies premium pricing. Google just wants the profit without actually providing the service.
    - Not needed? Says you. At Apple prices, I expect that, since Apple does provide international warranty/support. If Google wants to charge Apple prices but don't want to give the support, then less reason to get a Pixel.
    - If OnePlus 5 is a joke for you, then the Pixel is a complete joke. More expensive, less performance. Personally I now prefer Xiaomi, but I'll take OnePlus anytime over Google's overpriced Pixel.
    - The fact that you like the Axon 7 means that it's another supporting evidence how the Pixel is a joke, and Google is just trolling its fanboys.

15. nexesnex macrumors regular

I agree about the FaceId it's pretty impressive. And, it's easy to forget that it is truly a locked phone... that only unlocks for one person. That is, unless you give someone else your phone code. I just hope that in future revisions, they will allow for more than one face to unlock the phone. But, no complaints from me with how it works now.

16. noles1983, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

noles1983 macrumors regular

Pixel 2XL is a solid phone. My wife has one, if I were ever to get an android it would be only that one.

17. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

These posts get more and more laughable.
    Have you used them? Are you serious right now? They're terrible.
    You dislike options and superior performance?

18. Profound destroyer macrumors newbie

Profound destroyer

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Good thing Android is lightning fast on the Pixel and no customization is required.

Also all the default services are superior on Pixel.

20. Blaze4G macrumors 6502a

I'm confused. The pixel has a better rear camera, front facing camera, better fast charging, speakers, battery and you state the hardware is a turd? What does the iPhone x have that is better hardware? The screen and that's about it.
    Can you see screen on time now in iOS 11? Pretty sure it has always been usage which includes time the screen is off.

21. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

I gotta say, phones have been kinda “meh” for a while. FaveID is interesting and the first thing that’s interested me in a while. For what I use my phone for though? I’d be happy with my 5S (have a 6S because my mom needed a new phone).

At this point virtually everything is good enough. For me the iPhones win for a few reasons:
    • I have a lot of Apple gear and it really works very well together.
    • I really like the Watch.
    • I like Apple’s commitment to privacy. Google’s entire business model creeps me out.
    Modern flagship phones are mostly awesome at this point though. Calling any of these wonder devices “trash” is... ridiculous.

And for everything I like about Apple they really do certain crap things (e.g. the weaksauce camera on the smaller iPhones. Not everyone who gets smaller phones gets them to be “cheap”. My laptop, phone, tablet, and watch are intentionally smaller form factors and it’s not because they’re less expensive.) It’s less about anything objective at this point and more about preference and circumstance.

Siri sucks? Siri delivers pretty damn well for the tasks I use. There’s also a cost for Google’s superiority in that realm. It’s a price I’m not comfortable paying. If you feel as I do a lot of Google’s services aren’t superior.

22. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

Every unbiased and objective review out there concludes there are pros and cons for each of these devices. It's not even close to a "landslide." And this 1% thing is just plain laughable. I'd love to make a wager on that.

I'd personally not buy the Pixel. But let's not fool ourselves here. Plenty will be sold.

23. willnpc macrumors member

willnpc

I do too but this is a really fair site to compare apple products with...lol

24. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You can't, so you can't validate it as a metric. Plus, SOT is a bad metric. Reality is, most users have their phone screens off most of the time.

25. pika2000 macrumors 68030

- I'll trust Apple anytime more than Google. I don't mind Google mining my data if I get some benefit (discounted handset ala Nexus). But paying premium for an Android phone? Only fools would do that.
    - You're partially correct. Google updated their policy to provide 3 years of updates for the Pixel 2 (Pixel 1 users still only get 2 years from release date). But no guarantees on even security updates after that. But you expect that for the premium pricing. Yet at the same time I can get a Xiaomi Mi A1 for less than half the price of the Pixel, and still enjoy the stock Android and update experience.
    - Good to know, but availability of physical stores to go to as an additional channel of support is better than none, especially at the premium price Google is charging.
    - Sounds like you never step out of the country?
    - iPhone runs iOS. I cannot buy OnePlus 5 and run iOS apps. But I can buy OnePlus 5 and run the same apps as the overpriced Pixel 2. Heck, I can buy a Xiaomi for less than half the price of the Pixel and run the same apps as well.

Even if you are a rich Android fanboy and want to pay premium prices, why would you want to pay for a Pixel 2 when a Galaxy S8/Note 8 has a much better screen, headphone jack, and better IP68? Sounds like you like being trolled by Google. You attacking iOS11 doesn't have any relevance here, other than you are running out of arguments.