Apple's iPhone X vs. Google's Pixel 2 XL

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Marshall73, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  2. Tech198 macrumors G4

And you are an Apple user :) That's probably the huge grab of all these points.

3. page3 macrumors 6502

Exactly.

If my family used Android then the X wouldn’t come in to the equation.

If I own a petrol car I don’t care which brand of diesel is better.

4. mib1800 macrumors 68020

Why do you think anyone here is talking about YOU?

Sorry to break it to you, I think nobody is interested in what you want. Be happy with your iPhone.

5. page3, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

page3 macrumors 6502

Sorry, was I being too erudite for you? I wasn't talking about ME specifically. For many an iPhone or Android phone isn't a singular thing to be taken in isolation. It's an eco-system. That decision has already been taken to a greater or lesser degree, depending on your circumstances.

Let's keep the discussion friendly shall we? It's so much more enjoyable that way.

6. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Motorola is now Lenovo, a Chinese company, and it shows. Motorola doesn’t seem to have any focus now. It is making more models than it should (Moto C, Moto M, etc, and they overlap each other, using the same internals). Even though it still uses a very close to stock Android, Lenovo’s track record is not something you can rely on.

If you don’t bother too much with spec for the dollar, Nokia seems to be promising.

Personally, IMO although the Chinese copies, Android phones all run the same apps that I don’t really care if the OEMs copying each other. If I can get a great Android phone for less, why not. Sure, there’s the notorious copiers like Oppo/Vivo, but companies like Xiaomi and Huawei are trying to separate themselves. If I was looking for an Android phone today, my vote is for the XIaomi Mi A1. Android One, stock Android, dual camera, at less than half the price of the Pixel. The Pixel sure looks nicer, but I’m not paying double just to be able to squeeze my phone.

7. Yuniverse macrumors member

Yuniverse

There's no comparison. iPhone wins hands down.

8. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502

ZombiePhysicist

I agree. Horrible and biased review.

How the hell do you conclude that the tech for camera is better than the iPhone? Let’s assume they’re pretty close for regular shots and studio shots, but the glaring omission of a 2X optical zoom On the pixel is humongous for real users. Also a 70% increase in battery life, a processor that obliterates the snap dragon, oh yea and a display that’s not warmed over crap are treated like no big deal. Oh, and the ever present lack of security updates on Android (the Krack WiFi flaw won’t be updated in any reasonable amount of time) makes this review particularly more imbecilic than that of the average Android partisan.

I want my 5 minutes back. I expected way better from macrumors.

9. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Yeah 4-5 updates slowing your device down :p

While a valid point, I think most update within 2 years. For ones that want value for their money, it's good

10. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I’d like to make a suggestion to the reviewer. Change up the way you speak. Your voice is fine but your tone is far too repetitive.

Also, I’d like to see some real innovation in the smart phone industry. How about an app that makes the sound of a light saber when you swoosh it around like a Jedi. That’s got all kinds of uses. Well just the one use and not that useful in terms of productivity but still. Get on it geniuses.

11. wutusaysucka macrumors newbie

wutusaysucka

Apple and Tim Crook (oops, Crook? I meant Cook) "lost all credibility" when they said last year they pay all their taxes and don't hide overseas money, yet we find out through the Paradise Papers that was all BS. They hide their money in the English Channel and pay minimum tax while hoarding $265B overseas.

That's totally unAmerican wouldn't you say? Of course not. Because they made a shiny new toy to distract you.

12. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Let me guess, you have not touched or seen a pixel 2, but want to discredit the reviewer for his opinions ..... biased much? That's a rhetorical question.

Two nice phones, pros / cons . We got both at work, the X is not better than the pixel at everything....... to say that is being biased
    . Each to their own

13. wutusaysucka macrumors newbie

wutusaysucka

The Pixel is actually guaranteed 3 years of updates and then you could easily root and install a custom ROM to keep up to date by unlocking the bootloader and installing new firmware. Very easy on a Pixel, but you wouldn't know about that because all you see on an iPhone are a whole grid of ugly icons and Apple won't let you do anything even remotely cool with the phone. Apple owns you. I own my phone.

14. MobiusStrip macrumors regular

Nobody should be voting with his money for a product that calls him stupid. And that's exactly what a phone without a headphone jack does.

Apple doubles down on the insult by peddling an idiotic glass phone with ever-more-pathetic battery life.

Google deserves everyone's scorn for fielding an inept mess of an OS that can't be updated by users themselves on the day of its release. Who releases a new OS in the 2000s that lacks a proper hardware abstraction layer or driver model, which would have enabled the OS to be updated without breaking all the crapware that's ladled on by telcos?

Android was supposed to be the great "open-source" OS that would free us all from vendor and telco tyranny. It has spectacularly failed to do so.

15. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

No need to compare from where I’m sitting. Google doesn’t sell nor support any of their pixel products in my country and it’s not available from any carriers here either. I guess 5.7 million people isn’t enough. Meanwhile, Apple happily includes my country in the first wave. Needless to say, I find it hard to be loyal to a company that doesn’t even want to do business with me.

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Don't now about the five years of upgrades but it is not relevant when you consider your iPhone will run like sh|t within two years because of battery degradation and updates on IOS which will slow it down significantly.

17. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

18. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Superior front facing camera, I'll give the Pixel 2 XL that. The details in the shadows in the outdoor shots are of more value to me overall and the iPhone X seemed to do a better job there according to the SuperSafTV video. Plus 2x optical zoom on the iPhone X. Strengths and weaknesses with both, but which camera is best depends on in which (light) situation you mostly shoot, I think.

19. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

One thing that really puts me off this phone is the fact that Google does everything in their power to havest your personal data and on top of this they still charge you top dollar.

20. Geurt macrumors member

You have a VERY strong persuasive opinion. It is that strong, that exchanging point of views makes no sense anymore. You could improve a lot on this to make you a trustworthy source.

21. Polyphonie macrumors member

Polyphonie

Having a bad display and a great camera is akin to smearing the viewfinder of your Hasselblad/Leica/Nikon with strawberry jam before each photo session.

22. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Garbage? I think things aren't that black-or-white: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white

Even if Android perhaps is better overall (though I think that depends on the user) but does that mean iOS is ”garbage” and that it has zero advantages over Android? I think not.

As for the photos: In this test (also linked to in a post by @KingslayerG5 above) the back camera on the iPhone X overall fares better in my opinion (2x optical zoom and more detail in the shadows) while the front camera on the Pixel does a better job overall: iPhone X vs Pixel 2 XL Camera Test Comparison

23. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502

ZombiePhysicist

I have and also owned the last few nexus phones as well—warmed Over crap.

As for bias, Not nearly as much as you or the reviewer. Thanks for conceding the points with your ad hominem admission. Enjoy losing arguments much? That’s a rhetorical question.

24. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Still there are a lot more details in the shadows of the iPhone X when using the back camera in the tests done here: iPhone X vs Pixel 2 XL Camera Test Comparison and it has 2x optical zoom.

Now that's interesting! Wonder if Apple uses (or will use) the ”bionic” part of the A11 for something similar. :)

25. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Yes and that’s your personal preference, but have you actually seen on and handled it? And which Pixel are you referring to as their are two models.