Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
You can't, so you can't validate it as a metric. Plus, SOT is a bad metric. Reality is, most users have their phone screens off most of the time.

When the screen is on means you are using your phone actively. This is when battery drain is maximum.

When screen is off battery drain is insignificant compared to when screen is on.

So SOT gives much better representation and estimation of actual usage.

Apple way of measuring usage is pure nonsense.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This comparison is pointless due to Pixel phone has no future. Why? because Google is banned from China. That means they lost 1 billion of potential buyers. Assuming Google spent as much R&D money compare to Apple & Samung, they just don't have the global market reach to boost up the sales. When there is not enough sales for a product, the end will come soon.
Maybe. But Google's main revenue is from ads. So low sales on the Pixel 2 may/may not be significant. Plus, they still need to have somekind of developer device running their latest OS.
Similar to Microsoft. Microsoft has the Surface product line. They are premium devices, and not the greatest, but MS can afford it (plus it's a way to test the market like the Windows 10S).

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
When the screen is on means you are using your phone actively. This is when battery drain is maximum.

When screen is off battery drain is insignificant compared to when screen is on.

So SOT gives much better representation and estimation of actual usage.

Apple way of measuring usage is pure nonsense.
Meh, agree to disagree. If you're a music streamer, that's not a negligible amount of battery usage.
[doublepost=1510375689][/doublepost]
This comparison is pointless due to Pixel phone has no future. Why? because Google is banned from China. That means they lost 1 billion of potential buyers. Assuming Google spent as much R&D money compare to Apple & Samung, they just don't have the global market reach to boost up the sales. When there is not enough sales for a product, the end will come soon.
You realize Google's hardware division is not its primary source of income, and through search Google can essentially cover all of the hardware expenses for years to come? This is complete nonsense.

Apple would be in a lot more trouble in the same situation because their business is hardware. Google is simply using hardware to improve the user experience to promote search.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I'm confused. The pixel has a better rear camera, front facing camera, better fast charging, speakers, battery and you state the hardware is a turd? What does the iPhone x have that is better hardware? The screen and that's about it.
[doublepost=1510372136][/doublepost]
Can you see screen on time now in iOS 11? Pretty sure it has always been usage which includes time the screen is off.
Even as unoptimized as iOS 11 is at the moment, the A11 is superior to the Snapdragon 835. Even the a10 is superior to the 835.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
To me the main difference is that with Google, YOU are the product.
Exactly. Our phones and other computing and communications devices are central to our modern lives. Apple is trusted and trustworthy; Google is not. My personal sovereignty and identity is not for sale. “Free” services from an untrustworthy, exploitative business can not change that.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Sure apple has messaging but Google wins on the rest of the ecosystem. Google Home > Homepod, Google Assistant > Siri, Google Play Music > Apple Music, Google Docs, Photos, etc > iWork/Photos.
Google loses big time on integrity and trustworthiness. That means way more than features.
[doublepost=1510376620][/doublepost]
When he said he wished Apple included Touch ID, even if they put it on the back...o_O...I was done listening.
You have to have some standards.
Ditto. That statement can only come from someone who doesn’t understand or hasn’t experienced the superiority of Face ID.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Exactly. Our phones and other computing and communications devices are central to our modern lives. Apple is trusted and trustworthy; Google is not. My personal sovereignty and identity is not for sale. “Free” services from an untrustworthy, exploitative business can not change that.
Even better, with the Pixel 2 is that Google wants you to pay a premium to let them mine your data. :D

I may/may not mind Google's privacy approach, but don't ask me to pay a premium at the same time. I was a fan of the early days of the Nexus phones (owned the Nexus 1 through 5), but after Google started charging premium pricing starting with the Nexus 6, I'm done.

Reactions: heretiq

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Google loses big time on integrity and trustworthiness. That means way more than features.
Whatever makes you sleep at night. You're just trying to justify a $1000 phone. Here's the deal: You don't have to justify it to anyone. That being said, you can get a number of cheaper phones without "sacrificing integrity" or whatever lean six sigma made up drivel you're willing to come up with. And, by the way, the services on Google's ecosystem are just so far ahead of Apple's iTrash that Google could delete 90% of the data it has "mined" and Google services would still be 100x the product any Apple app/service is.

I feel sorry for a bunch of you guys that spent $1000 on a phone only to find out it's not that much better than a cheaper phone with a better operating system.
[doublepost=1510377347][/doublepost]
Even better, with the Pixel 2 is that Google wants you to pay a premium to let them mine your data. :D

I may/may not mind Google's privacy approach, but don't ask me to pay a premium at the same time. I was a fan of the early days of the Nexus phones (owned the Nexus 1 through 5), but after Google started charging premium pricing starting with the Nexus 6, I'm done.
Yes, well differential privacy is a marketing term meant to make you feel better while Apple mismanages your data. Siri is still garbage.

Reactions: CarpalMac

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
Dan, I can't believe you want Touch ID.
I've got the X and the Face ID is so good, quick and easy that it makes Touch ID look very, very dated.

Not just that but I can now do work around my home, get my fingers dirty, cut up or scratched and still open my phone.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
LG Display is the largest LCD maker in the world and just invested over $13B in OLED panels for the next three years. The LG Mobile division uses cheap panels for the last three years. The 2016 flagships are plagued with image retention.

Mobile displays are cheap to make. How much? $25-$40? Stuck on Quad HD since 2014. Sharp and Razer barely announced 120 Hz refresh rate. We all assume because our phones are always with us, that displays can match TV displays that cost $4000+ and DLSR cameras that cost $5,000. Gawd, no. Like assuming a Smart Car can beat a Viper in a drag race. Or assuming an iPad Pro can replace a laptop. Sure, buddy!

I just find it weird LG sucks in mobile displays but their division for TV panels has surpassed Samsung. No different than Sony manufacturing camera modules but the flagships they brand have poor quality. I was left thinking about Samsung and LG phones but I'm really not a fan of Samsung phones and too much LG for me. Try something else.

I'm going Sony because I've never owned an Xperia and always wanted one since the HTC-made Xperia X1. It likely still retains headphone jack and microSD slot. Hard to get an Essential because it lacks essentials and it probably won't be recognized on my MBA. No microSD is a deal breaker. Maybe since 2014 with the Z3/Z3C, Sony might actually make a compelling phone again.

The iPhone X and Pixel 2 / 2 XL have an Achilles heel I can't live with. My MBA is more important to me than a Pixel. And iOS can't flow with my work.

Display - iPhone X
Design - iPhone X (front), Pixel 2 XL (back)
Size - iPhone X
Camera - Pixel 2 XL, slightly
Battery Life - Pixel 2 XL, slightly
Price - Pixel 2 XL, slightly
Fun - iPhone X (gestures, Animoji)

Which one to get for me? Neither. Both have red flags I can't deal with. With the X, it's more of iOS limitations than anything else. They are both great. Get whatever you like. Just avoid Sprint and ASUS products. I hate them.

I really don't like Chinese brands. South Korea tries to innovate. Japan tried to innovate. Chinese just copies others because they are made in China and then sell it for cheap. I don't like the PC Suites that Xiaomi and Huawei uses.

Next in line -
Sony
Nokia
Motorola

Any phone with microSD slot so I can transfer files with my MBA. I may never buy a Pixel again because of its Mac incompatibility. I will buy another iPhone if Apple can improve iOS more.

BTW, enjoyed the video. Very objective.

Reactions: fairuz and bchreng

ShinyApps

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2016
East Coast

Now that the new 2017 flagship smartphones from both Google and Apple are available and in the hands of consumers, we thought we'd compare Apple's iPhone X with the Google Pixel 2 XL to see how these two devices measure up.

In the video below, we took a look at specific features of both phones, including design, hardware, camera and display, along with each device's unique features like Face ID and Active Edge. We also compared what it's like using each phone on a day to day basis to give an overall picture of the similarities and differences between each of the devices.

Both the Google Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone X have high price points ($849 for the former and $999 for the latter), and similar display sizes at 5.8 inches for the iPhone X and 6 inches for the Pixel 2 XL.

Inside, the iPhone X has a custom Apple-designed A11 processor, while the Pixel 2 XL features a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chip. In raw benchmarks, the iPhone X outperforms the Pixel 2 XL, but the differences in processor and GPU speed aren't as noticeable in real world usage. When it comes to intensive tasks, though, the iPhone X will handily outperform the Pixel 2 XL.

Both devices feature OLED displays, but the iPhone X's display is leagues better than the OLED display of the Pixel 2 XL. The Pixel 2 XL is plagued by serious display issues that have been making headlines for the last couple of weeks, including burn-in and bizarre color variations.

iPhone X and Pixel 2 XL both have impressive cameras and produce some amazing photos, but the Pixel 2 XL does a lot of what the iPhone X can do with just a single camera. Apple's iPhone X is equipped with dual 12-megapixel rear cameras, one with an f/1.8 wide-angle lens and the second with an f/2.4 telephoto lens, while the Pixel 2 XL is sporting just a single f/1.8 12-megapixel camera.

As for front-facing cameras, the Pixel 2 XL has an f/2.4 8-megapixel camera while the iPhone X is sporting an f/2.2 7-megapixel camera that also happens to be equipped with an additional infrared camera, sensor, and dot projector to enable Face ID, one of the flagship iPhone X features that gives the iPhone X an edge over the Pixel 2 XL.

Face ID has proven to be largely fast and accurate, making it an improvement over fingerprint sensing technology. Pixel 2 XL continues to offer a fingerprint sensor, albeit a fast and accurate one. Active Edge, the Pixel 2 XL's distinguishing feature, lets users squeeze the sides of the device to quickly activate Google Assistant. Speaking of Google Assistant, that's another feature where the Pixel 2 XL has an edge over the iPhone X -- many believe Google Assistant is more useful than Siri.

Pixel 2 XL has a larger battery than the iPhone X (though the iPhone X wins out in some battery life tests), but it doesn't offer the same Qi wireless charging functionality that's available in the iPhone X. It charges over USB-C, though, while the iPhone X continues to use a proprietary Lightning port for non-wireless charging purposes. Neither device has a headphone jack, as Google followed in Apple's footsteps and opted to rely solely on wireless technology.

So which of these devices is better? It's impossible to say. Both the iPhone X and the Google Pixel 2 XL are entirely different platforms, and each one is the best in its respective category. There are some things the Google Pixel 2 XL does better than the iPhone X, and some things the iPhone X does better than the Google Pixel 2 XL. Choosing one really comes down to the ecosystem you prefer -- iOS or Android.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone X vs. Google's Pixel 2 XL
[doublepost=1510381111][/doublepost]The only 2 phones to worry bout in 2017 until q3/q4 2018

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I'm confused. The pixel has a better rear camera, front facing camera, better fast charging, speakers, battery and you state the hardware is a turd? What does the iPhone x have that is better hardware? The screen and that's about it.

I prefer the rear camera on the iPhone X. Battery and charging difference is minimal. Speakers are probably the same. The screen on the Pixel XL 2 is unacceptable for an $850 phone. Build quality on the iPhone X is vastly superior. Snapdragon 835 is equivalent to a 1-2yr old Apple chip, which is also unacceptable for that price.

You’re essentially paying a premium for stock Android, which is kind of absurd.

There shouldn’t be any Android phone over $800, except for maybe the Note 8.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I feel sorry for a bunch of you guys that spent $1000 on a phone only to find out it's not that much better than a cheaper phone with a better operating system.
[doublepost=1510377347][/doublepost]
Yes, well differential privacy is a marketing term meant to make you feel better while Apple mismanages your data. Siri is still garbage.
LOL. I feel sorry for you that spent $800+ on an Android phone where phones like the Mi A1 is less than half of the price and run the same apps and stock Android as well.

And you should rethink your arguments. Where does Apple "mismanage" users' data? And how does Siri being "garbage" have anything to do here?

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Google Pixel keeps changing the manufacturer every year making the support and services a big issue. I had problems with Nexus 6P 6r GB with popping screen (battery swelling), with extended warranty they refused to even take the mobile for service saying that it is an external damage! Also, there is no known service center's like Apple in my place.

My experience with Apple Services far better and we know for sure who is the third party service providers for service & support issues for Apple devices.

Google is behind light years on these counts and I do not think their heart and soul is with making mobile devices and own them totally!! It is a tough job!

Reactions: fairuz

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Sure apple has messaging but Google wins on the rest of the ecosystem. Google Home > Homepod, Google Assistant > Siri, Google Play Music > Apple Music, Google Docs, Photos, etc > iWork/Photos.
I can use pretty much all that stuff on Apple's platforms anyway, so it doesn't matter. I get to pick what I want. But Apple's ecosystem won't work with Google's, so whatever Apple does well, I have to use Apple's stuff for. Annoying as that is, that means Apple supports a better ecosystem.

Like: iMessage and FaceTime (!), streaming a PC or phone to the TV with Apple TV (Chromecast still can't do that properly for some reason), parts of Apple Music and iTunes Store that are better, I gotta disagree about photos, calendar syncing, Apple News, Maps (if it works well for your area, which it does for me)... lots of other services that would be about equal if Google didn't randomly kill/redo them super frequently.

I get to do all that on a simpler and nicer-looking OS, which again doesn't change too much across versions, get more supported updates on my phone (=> more secure), and generally enjoy longer battery life and less lag. Google makes good stuff, but it's better to keep their stuff in a sandbox.

Last edited:

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
The pixel doesn’t run iOS and so isn't comparable. Most of us and our families have invested in one eco system or the other so this sort of article is always completely pointless. It answers all of the wrong questions.

Can the Pixel run all of my family’s iOS apps?
Can the Pixel iMessage me?
Can the Pixel FaceTime me?
Does the Pixel allow me to track it via Find My Friends?
Can the Pixel use our family shared iCloud space?

Reactions: tooloud10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.