Apple's iPhone X vs. Google's Pixel 2 XL

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mib1800 macrumors 68020

When the screen is on means you are using your phone actively. This is when battery drain is maximum.

When screen is off battery drain is insignificant compared to when screen is on.

So SOT gives much better representation and estimation of actual usage.

Apple way of measuring usage is pure nonsense.

2. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Maybe. But Google's main revenue is from ads. So low sales on the Pixel 2 may/may not be significant. Plus, they still need to have somekind of developer device running their latest OS.
    Similar to Microsoft. Microsoft has the Surface product line. They are premium devices, and not the greatest, but MS can afford it (plus it's a way to test the market like the Windows 10S).

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 6502

You’re wrong.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Meh, agree to disagree. If you're a music streamer, that's not a negligible amount of battery usage.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    You realize Google's hardware division is not its primary source of income, and through search Google can essentially cover all of the hardware expenses for years to come? This is complete nonsense.

Apple would be in a lot more trouble in the same situation because their business is hardware. Google is simply using hardware to improve the user experience to promote search.

5. Baymowe335 macrumors 6502

Even as unoptimized as iOS 11 is at the moment, the A11 is superior to the Snapdragon 835. Even the a10 is superior to the 835.

6. Donovan Dillon macrumors member

Exactly. Our phones and other computing and communications devices are central to our modern lives. Apple is trusted and trustworthy; Google is not. My personal sovereignty and identity is not for sale. “Free” services from an untrustworthy, exploitative business can not change that.

7. thasan macrumors 6502a

8. Donovan Dillon macrumors member

Google loses big time on integrity and trustworthiness. That means way more than features.
    Ditto. That statement can only come from someone who doesn’t understand or hasn’t experienced the superiority of Face ID.

9. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Even better, with the Pixel 2 is that Google wants you to pay a premium to let them mine your data. :D

I may/may not mind Google's privacy approach, but don't ask me to pay a premium at the same time. I was a fan of the early days of the Nexus phones (owned the Nexus 1 through 5), but after Google started charging premium pricing starting with the Nexus 6, I'm done.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Whatever makes you sleep at night. You're just trying to justify a $1000 phone. Here's the deal: You don't have to justify it to anyone. That being said, you can get a number of cheaper phones without "sacrificing integrity" or whatever lean six sigma made up drivel you're willing to come up with. And, by the way, the services on Google's ecosystem are just so far ahead of Apple's iTrash that Google could delete 90% of the data it has "mined" and Google services would still be 100x the product any Apple app/service is.

I feel sorry for a bunch of you guys that spent $1000 on a phone only to find out it's not that much better than a cheaper phone with a better operating system.
    Yes, well differential privacy is a marketing term meant to make you feel better while Apple mismanages your data. Siri is still garbage.

11. Seoras macrumors regular

Seoras

Dan, I can't believe you want Touch ID.
    I've got the X and the Face ID is so good, quick and easy that it makes Touch ID look very, very dated.

Not just that but I can now do work around my home, get my fingers dirty, cut up or scratched and still open my phone.

12. KingslayerG5 macrumors 65816

KingslayerG5

LG Display is the largest LCD maker in the world and just invested over $13B in OLED panels for the next three years. The LG Mobile division uses cheap panels for the last three years. The 2016 flagships are plagued with image retention.

Mobile displays are cheap to make. How much? $25-$40? Stuck on Quad HD since 2014. Sharp and Razer barely announced 120 Hz refresh rate. We all assume because our phones are always with us, that displays can match TV displays that cost $4000+ and DLSR cameras that cost $5,000. Gawd, no. Like assuming a Smart Car can beat a Viper in a drag race. Or assuming an iPad Pro can replace a laptop. Sure, buddy!

I just find it weird LG sucks in mobile displays but their division for TV panels has surpassed Samsung. No different than Sony manufacturing camera modules but the flagships they brand have poor quality. I was left thinking about Samsung and LG phones but I'm really not a fan of Samsung phones and too much LG for me. Try something else.

I'm going Sony because I've never owned an Xperia and always wanted one since the HTC-made Xperia X1. It likely still retains headphone jack and microSD slot. Hard to get an Essential because it lacks essentials and it probably won't be recognized on my MBA. No microSD is a deal breaker. Maybe since 2014 with the Z3/Z3C, Sony might actually make a compelling phone again.

The iPhone X and Pixel 2 / 2 XL have an Achilles heel I can't live with. My MBA is more important to me than a Pixel. And iOS can't flow with my work.

Display - iPhone X
    Design - iPhone X (front), Pixel 2 XL (back)
    Size - iPhone X
    Camera - Pixel 2 XL, slightly
    Battery Life - Pixel 2 XL, slightly
    Price - Pixel 2 XL, slightly
    Fun - iPhone X (gestures, Animoji)

Which one to get for me? Neither. Both have red flags I can't deal with. With the X, it's more of iOS limitations than anything else. They are both great. Get whatever you like. Just avoid Sprint and ASUS products. I hate them.

I really don't like Chinese brands. South Korea tries to innovate. Japan tried to innovate. Chinese just copies others because they are made in China and then sell it for cheap. I don't like the PC Suites that Xiaomi and Huawei uses.

Next in line -
    Sony
    Nokia
    Motorola

Any phone with microSD slot so I can transfer files with my MBA. I may never buy a Pixel again because of its Mac incompatibility. I will buy another iPhone if Apple can improve iOS more.

BTW, enjoyed the video. Very objective.

13. ShinyApps macrumors newbie

The only 2 phones to worry bout in 2017 until q3/q4 2018

14. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I prefer the rear camera on the iPhone X. Battery and charging difference is minimal. Speakers are probably the same. The screen on the Pixel XL 2 is unacceptable for an $850 phone. Build quality on the iPhone X is vastly superior. Snapdragon 835 is equivalent to a 1-2yr old Apple chip, which is also unacceptable for that price.

You’re essentially paying a premium for stock Android, which is kind of absurd.

There shouldn’t be any Android phone over $800, except for maybe the Note 8.

15. pika2000 macrumors 68030

LOL. I feel sorry for you that spent $800+ on an Android phone where phones like the Mi A1 is less than half of the price and run the same apps and stock Android as well.

And you should rethink your arguments. Where does Apple "mismanage" users' data? And how does Siri being "garbage" have anything to do here?

16. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

After all these bickerings, to each his own shall we? Just enjoy the heck out of whatever the phone we think is best. Lol

17. Ramchi macrumors 6502

Ramchi

Google Pixel keeps changing the manufacturer every year making the support and services a big issue. I had problems with Nexus 6P 6r GB with popping screen (battery swelling), with extended warranty they refused to even take the mobile for service saying that it is an external damage! Also, there is no known service center's like Apple in my place.

My experience with Apple Services far better and we know for sure who is the third party service providers for service & support issues for Apple devices.

Google is behind light years on these counts and I do not think their heart and soul is with making mobile devices and own them totally!! It is a tough job!

18. Wildkraut macrumors 6502

Take care what you say mate, else your next thread will be: Google Pixel destroyed my marriage.

19. fairuz, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

I can use pretty much all that stuff on Apple's platforms anyway, so it doesn't matter. I get to pick what I want. But Apple's ecosystem won't work with Google's, so whatever Apple does well, I have to use Apple's stuff for. Annoying as that is, that means Apple supports a better ecosystem.

Like: iMessage and FaceTime (!), streaming a PC or phone to the TV with Apple TV (Chromecast still can't do that properly for some reason), parts of Apple Music and iTunes Store that are better, I gotta disagree about photos, calendar syncing, Apple News, Maps (if it works well for your area, which it does for me)... lots of other services that would be about equal if Google didn't randomly kill/redo them super frequently.

I get to do all that on a simpler and nicer-looking OS, which again doesn't change too much across versions, get more supported updates on my phone (=> more secure), and generally enjoy longer battery life and less lag. Google makes good stuff, but it's better to keep their stuff in a sandbox.

20. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

At the end of the day one runs Android and the other runs iOS. If you don’t like the OS the hardware probably won’t matter.

21. fairuz macrumors 6502

fairuz

It's fine until you need to message a friend who uses Android ;)

22. Wildkraut macrumors 6502

Just use SMS, what’s app or simply do a call. I prefer to hear my friends anyway. It’s a phone isn’t it? ;)

23. Internet Enzyme macrumors regular

Internet Enzyme

If you’re going to drop $849 on a phone i feel like you are in a financial situation where finding the extra $150 is not difficult and that big of a deal to you

24. Tech198 macrumors G4

25. page3 macrumors 6502

The pixel doesn’t run iOS and so isn't comparable. Most of us and our families have invested in one eco system or the other so this sort of article is always completely pointless. It answers all of the wrong questions.

Can the Pixel run all of my family’s iOS apps?
    Can the Pixel iMessage me?
    Can the Pixel FaceTime me?
    Does the Pixel allow me to track it via Find My Friends?
    Can the Pixel use our family shared iCloud space?